displaying posts 201 to 225 of 274

Pages (11): first .. 8 [9] 10 .. last

Author Subject: Wilwood Brackets group buy?
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #201
You know exactly what I mean seb. It's phil's design, not yours. Except you're missing a few important bits.

Good luck selling them.

Nothing to see here
Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:09
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #202
adam b wrote:
You know exactly what I mean seb. It's phil's design, not yours. Except you're missing a few important bits.

Good luck selling them.

I don't know what you mean so I suggest you stop being a c**t. I have done everyone who wanted to run wilwoods a favour I have had the brackets on my car copied and have not made a penny on them I have let people have them at the cost of copting them. this thread has been going for quite some time and Phil was not interested in making them as he no longer has access to a cnc machine and doesn't have the cad design either he has been on this thread and has no problem with me reproducing them for others at no profit. all I have done is give up a lot of my time and effort for free for the benefit of other members.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:14
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #203
Funny how he feels differently then isn't it?

"I've got no issues with him using mine as a template for the sizes and making his own bracket, I do have issues with it being brazenly copied outright given the work/time I did in FEA to make sure they were both lighter and had better fatigue life...
I hope they've........ ,....though because if not some poor bas**rds are going to have a shock when they get older."

Nothing to see here
Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #204
how were the threads formed? what material?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:32
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #205
Anyway he's not going to pay to join again. I suggest you man up, stop calling me things and talk to him.

Nothing to see here
Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:30
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #206
Look through this thread Adam pages 2, 3 and maybe 4 he dI'd not have a problem then all he said was it will be expensive for someone to have to copy it. this thread has been going for months and months and I also PM'd him when he was still a member and there were no problems or issues. as I said I have done a nice thing to help people outand not made any profit if you or Phil wanted to do anything you have had long enough this thread has not been a secret.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:35
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #207
adam b wrote:
Anyway he's not going to pay to join again. I suggest you man up, stop calling me things and talk to him.

also.
1. I am being a man and have spoken to him when he was a member he is on this thread nothing has been done in secret or underhand etc.

2. as said I have contacted him when he was a member but if I am as you say to man up and speak to him how can I do that if he will not re join.

I have done nothing wrong or offens I've or secret this has been going on for months if he did not want me to copy them he should have said so at the start he had enough time and oportunity funny how you "the man" are now piping up at me being a c**t for no reason

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 21:39
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #208
Happy birthday manthos

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 22:54
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #209
Cjwatson27 wrote:
Happy birthday manthos

Thanks mate much appreciated

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 8th Nov 2016 at 22:57
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #210
Wtf is going on them Adam ?? If you would care to tell everyone what the issue is just incase someone gets killed ???
Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 09:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #211
bigbadbowen wrote:
Wtf is going on them Adam ?? If you would care to tell everyone what the issue is just incase someone gets killed ???

If he answers these we will know.

welshpug! wrote:
how were the threads formed? what material?

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 12:36
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #212
LOL ohh dear,..

at the end of the day no one's out here to make a buck on these!
we/I tried to get them re-done countless times nagging Phill to remake them, but for one reason or another couldnt,..

now he's longer a paid member which tell's me he no longer lives for this forum, sad times! Sad

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 14:55
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #213
They have been made out of aircraft grade aluminium which has been clear hard coat anodised 20 microns thick, threads have been tapped, rolling would not make any difference

this is a multi million pound company making these and the owners personal track car is a 750bhp Honda s2000 and he has made brake brackets of the same material and in the exact same way for his car. (They are not in the business of making dangerous products.

p.s the ones that are on my car that Phil made were not even anodised and I will put a photo of them up they have not aged well they are corroded badly.

pps. they don't even need to have thread in them in all honesty as the brackets bolt to the hubs using the thread in the hub and the bolt that goes into the caliper has a shoulder inside the bracket thread so pointless having a thread personally but they are in there none the less

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 18:06
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #214

These are the brackets and bolts that were on my car as I said the shoulder of this bolt sits within the thread on the bracket and the thread of the bolt sits in the caliper.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 16:58
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #215
manthos wrote:

These are the brackets and bolts that were on my car as I said the shoulder of this bolt sits within the thread on the bracket and the thread of the bolt sits in the caliper.

You've just cost me a fiver to come on here and refute this bo***cks Thumbs down

1 - You're telling me that the threads don't need to be formed as it makes no difference - that being cut is fine, yet you can't work out that the bolt goes in from the caliper side and threads into the bracket. No the shoulder doesn't fit in the thread on the bracket, no the caliper isn't threaded, yes, you're holding it upside down.

2 - You did none of the design, FEA or the hand calculations I did to confirm the fatigue strength of the bracket (which is all in the original thread, and is mentioned over on OC where someone else was going to make their own bracket based off mine, it's not stuff I'm making up just now, go back and have a look), yet you know that the threads being cut makes no difference?

I can assure you it does, have a look at my brackets, they're all rolled, and they're rolled for a reason - or do you think I spent money on tooling to do it for fun? I would have sent you the taps to do it if you'd asked for nothing.
Those first few threads there are the most stressed part of the bracket by far, and the fatigue life IS NOT ACCEPTABLE without them either being rolled with a generous root radius, or having helicoils inserted from the start, they will have trouble a few years down the line with fatigue.
I chose the former as people were sorting their own anodising out so it was no good having steel in there as it dissolves in the anodising bath.

3 - surface fur because they're not anodised - see above - I offered anodising, most weren't bothered, some wanted differing colours so Welly just asked for them all as is and let people sort it out themselves.

4 -
quote:

at the end of the day no one's out here to make a buck on these!

At £120 a pair someone is making half a grand somewhere even with jigs and setup given they got a free ride on the design.

5 -
quote:
this is a multi million pound company making these and the owners personal track car is a 750bhp Honda s2000 and he has made brake brackets of the same material and in the exact same way for his car. (They are not in the business of making dangerous products.

How would he know what's dangerous about it? He didn't do the design!
And that leads onto the other question - does he own the CAD model from copying my bracket, or do you? Do I have two people now making commercial use of my IP?

6 - There's a good reason I'm annoyed, you know that above, the use of my IP without permission? My business is fabrication, I'm setting back up machining when I get a new CNC mill shortly, if one person does it now with my knowledge if I don't protect it, that gives anyone in future carte-blanche to use the design or derivatives of it because it loses most of the copyright protections.
I've been in this position with stolen diff/uprights, etc, before and it's unbelievable hassle.

7 - In addition to the above, when someone has a caliper come loose a few years down the line, maybe after they've changed hands, and the brackets look exactly the same as my designs, and I own the IP - who do you think it's going to come back to first?
I've been in this one too with the above - someone died - and I don't need that sort of stress again as it took ages to prove it wasn't our product but a copy made by a machining firm.

I'm going to add a second part to this, so don't get your knickers in a twist just yet, but I can sort the above and protect the IP for myself, but frankly, I'm in the middle of trying to make some billet steering racks ASAP and my takeaway has just turned up so I'll add it later - this would have been a lot easier if you'd just said "Sorry Phill, can't wait on you finding the design out, we're going to do a straight copy of your bracket is that okay?"
In which case a simple form for indemnity/limited licence and some identifying markings on the brackets would mean I wouldn't have given a flying monkey how you made them after that. Or just made your own design from the pickup points on mine.

There's a good reason I didn't give you the G-code as it was useless to you without me there to pull all the jig and tool offsets out, it's no use to anyone without that, as any machinist on here will tell you. Which is why I didn't bother until I found the model out.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 19:01
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #216
bigbadbowen wrote:

Dear BBB,

See above this post.

Regards,
The c**t

Nothing to see here
Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 19:06
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #217
No he will keep your CAD design he has just copied them I clean his windows and he has a business that does this. he is chargubg 120 a pair as he had to copy them due to not having a file which I asked you for several times and you never replied or responded to me. well whoever fitted them to my car had bolted the bolt through the bracket and into the caliper.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 19:06
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #218
Phil I have not tried to upset or offend you. this thread has not been secret and I stated from the very first post I was going to get the brackets copied for other membees just to help them out I do not need this stress just for doing something nice. you were on this thread from the start and if you felt this way then you would have said so you never said seb don't copy them to help other members out.
I can ask them to engrave some sort of markings or whatever you want into them if you like not a problem.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 19:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #219
If you read the earlier posts in the thread when you said you were making some I said you'd be better using similar to Welly's design rather than my own as it would be far cheaper to make - I.E. I expected you were going to make your own.

I'll message you later, but can you:

1 - Mark them indelibly some way, even if you engrave 'Phil's a c**t' in 'em
2 - Find out whether you or him own the CAD file/model.
3 - For gods sake helicoil those bolt holes when you get them back from anodising. Sure they're strong enough, but they might not be after a few thousand loading cycles.

For future reference not hearing back from someone doesn't mean you can just nick their design, it means you make a different one Sad
Like I said, I have no issue with anyone taking my bracket and using it to base their own bracket on, I have no problem with helping people out with tips when doing it. I don't even mind losing the revenue to an alternative design - I'll make better ones after christmas when my new machine arrives anyway.

The problem is exact replicas of my brackets popping up causes me legal issues in future. Especially when they've been made commercially by another firm and they get to make money out of my work. And I get headaches like this s**t to sort.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 19:29
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #220
Phills email is in gis signature, if his membership had lapsed then simple logic would tie 2&2 together.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 21:12
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #221
welshpug! wrote:
Phills email is in gis signature, if his membership had lapsed then simple logic would tie 2&2 together.

it had not lapsed at the point I was pm him he was still commenting on here just not responding to me. anyway I'm tired of this conversation I will have them marked and will make sure they are strong enough and safe

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 21:37
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #222
I'm a toolmaker and was wondering what is wrong with the threads being tapped instead if formed. I guess it's down to the grain structure in the material? This is why at my old workplace where automotive shafts were made from forgings so the grain structure followed the contours of the work peice. But would it make that much difference on these brackets if the bolts are torqued up correctly and glued in?

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 9th Nov 2016 at 23:59
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #223
personally I do not even see it necessary that they even hace threads the bolt goes through the bracket into the hub and then the other bolt goes through the bracket into the caliper. all the bracket does is allow you to mount a caliper onto the hub that would not normally fit because the holes are at the wrong angle. If it is strong enough it should make no bloody difference it's just a glorified spacer

and as said they are strong enough.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 10th Nov 2016 at 00:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #224
aaron6 wrote:
I'm a toolmaker and was wondering what is wrong with the threads being tapped instead if formed. I guess it's down to the grain structure in the material? This is why at my old workplace where automotive shafts were made from forgings so the grain structure followed the contours of the work peice. But would it make that much difference on these brackets if the bolts are torqued up correctly and glued in?

Exactly, the strength benefit is negligible (~15-20%) - but the difference in fatigue resistance, especially at elevated temperatures (it is a brake bracket after all), is enormous.
No, you don't need to have a thread in there, you can just drill it out, pop a bolt through and stick a steel nut on the backside, much the same as is done on most brake bells.
But that's a bit less elegant.

Email me!
Posted 10th Nov 2016 at 00:58
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #225
You don't need a nut on the other side the hub has thread in and the caliper has thread in. that is how they are ony car and they keep tight perfectly well on track and fast road. I will happily drill the threads of mine out to prove the point and also when the new brackets are done I will be swapping to those as they are anodised and will last longer. They are aircraft grade aluminium coated 20 microns deep they are capable of withstanding great heat and preasure they will be fine. I will have them market/engraved with a penis so they are different to yours.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Old Project thread

Posted 10th Nov 2016 at 01:04

Pages (11): first .. 8 [9] 10 .. last