displaying posts 1 to 1 of 1

Author Subject: Broken top mount bush !!!
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi everyone

The devil's satanic heard farts in my face yet again ! Chris changed over my gearbox, fitted new clutch and quickly fitted a short shift mod too.

Only driven the car 200 faultless Miles and then start getting the usual broken top mount metal, stroke sqweaking. Anyways I get the top mount off to find my top mount bit is OK, no cracks or rusty metal. . . sweat I think and proceed to put the mount back in.

Get it FT and apply a little force and then the mount just starts spinning freely, the captive nut is still there and fixed with the bottom thread of the mount poking through.

This doesn't happen very often but the internals of the mount have failed, I've had this Group N mount in for over 10yrs so hasn't done too bad me thinks.

A new one is on order... ...now the fun bit he says.... ..... I'm going to have to cut, saw and drill at the old one apart to hopefully see enough thread sticking out to enable me to wind it out with either mole grips, or weld a bolt to the top. This option is a s**tter.....crack off the captive nut and hope I have enough room to drop it through, or do I drill then retap. Or fcuk it off and get a suitable sized nut held into a spanner wih tape holding that while i screw in the new top mount bush.

Either way though he old mount has to come out first, any ideas or thoughts please peeps? Has anybody had to rip an old one apart to do the same before ???? Be interesting to know or see before I have to hack it apart!

Dunno

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 31st Mar 2016 at 20:05