displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Door sealing sheet
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #1
Does anyone happen to have a picture of what I understand is a 'clear' sheet inside the door to direct water away from the door. Does it cover most of the inside of the door? Service box shows a small sheet but unsure if it's to scale or just small and only covers behind the speaker.

My foam sheet is damaged so I've taped it up, but there's no sheet inside the door so water runs down the window runner, and builds up between the metal and the seal until it seeps through.

I can probably make something out of some polythene, but would rather see where it's supposed to attach and replicate where possible so water doesn't just run inside that also.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 19th Feb 2016 at 18:21
    hampstead

Junior User

Post #2
    Dan

I've got one in a box somewhere. I'll look it out and measure it for you, might be a couple of days, though.

Cheers

Matt

Matt
    Posted 22nd Feb 2016 at 22:33
    mellowr1

Senior User

Post #3
    there are a few foam bits and couple of small bits of clear sheet. still available from peugeot. i bought them for mine last year as the water was running down onto speaker then into door rubber then into car. Stopped it immediately it was fittedThumbs up there is a foam piece over window motor bit from memory, foam part and plastic sheet to cover speaker and another foam part that covers another gap from memory. did have a picture of a door inner. will try and find itSmile
    Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 17:03
    mellowr1

Senior User

Post #4
    here they are.....robbed picture off here. as you can see there are a couple missing to rear of doorThumbs up

mellowr1 has attached the following image:

Posted 23rd Feb 2016 at 17:07
    fast_eddie

Regular

Post #5
    gaffer tape in cut strips works
    Posted 19th May 2016 at 00:13
    oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #6
    I think i'm getting the same issue after fitting a different door, how does the sheet inside direct the water? And where does it direct it?

98 Blaze 6 - Current
    Posted 19th May 2016 at 09:06
    bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    No no no there was a plastic sheet that went over the whole door I think ? I may be wrong but the small plastic sheet goes behind the speaker
    Posted 19th May 2016 at 09:50
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
    oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
    I think i'm getting the same issue after fitting a different door, how does the sheet inside direct the water? And where does it direct it?

In most cars there is a plastic membrane (sheet) that is attached to the inside of the door metal with cut outs for door handle, speakers etc. Doors with windows that raise or lower allow rainwater into the door, although the exterior strip along the bottom of the window diverts some of the water, it is not waterproof to allow the glass to move up and down. The remainder runs down the inside of the door and out the drainage holes at the bottom. The membrane simply stops this water getting into the inside of the car. To stop leaks make sure it is attached all the way around the edges and closely fits around any cutouts, and make sure it is not torn. Any decent plastic sheet can be used (e.g. as found at DIY shops), and attached with RTV or gaffer tape.

I have taken the door card off my Rallye but I can't remember what it looked like inside (i.e. whether there was a full membrane in addition to the foam bits in the pic above).

A tip: while you are in there lube the tracks the glass slides on and moving window bits with some lithium grease - excessive friction will cause electric window switches to burn out sooner. Flush any debris out of the bottom of the door and spray some wax in there to protect the metal.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 19th May 2016 at 10:51

Regular

Post #9
    mik wrote:
    oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

In most cars there is a plastic membrane (sheet) that is attached to the inside of the door metal with cut outs for door handle, speakers etc. Doors with windows that raise or lower allow rainwater into the door, although the exterior strip along the bottom of the window diverts some of the water, it is not waterproof to allow the glass to move up and down. The remainder runs down the inside of the door and out the drainage holes at the bottom. The membrane simply stops this water getting into the inside of the car. To stop leaks make sure it is attached all the way around the edges and closely fits around any cutouts, and make sure it is not torn. Any decent plastic sheet can be used (e.g. as found at DIY shops), and attached with RTV or gaffer tape.

I have taken the door card off my Rallye but I can't remember what it looked like inside (i.e. whether there was a full membrane in addition to the foam bits in the pic above).

A tip: while you are in there lube the tracks the glass slides on and moving window bits with some lithium grease - excessive friction will cause electric window switches to burn out sooner. Flush any debris out of the bottom of the door and spray some wax in there to protect the metal.

Thanks for that I will take the door card off at the weekend and grease up the runners and check out the plastic membrane, as I had to swap the door looms between the doors I have removed allot of the foam stuff so need to get a roll of it and replace/patch it all anyway. Any idea what that foam stuff is called or a good replacement for it?

98 Blaze 6 - Current
    Posted 19th May 2016 at 11:08
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    Polythene sheet that you can buy at DIY shops and some gaffer tape will work just fine - as long as it is neatly applied and sealed all the way around etc. I think one of the other posters thought the foam stuff is still aval from Pug. I think the foam pieces are individually moulded as opposed to cut off a roll, but as I say polythene will be fine. Maybe if you took the door card off the other door as well you could use that as a reference as to what needs sealing etc.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 19th May 2016 at 11:15

Regular

Post #11
    mik wrote:
    Polythene sheet that you can buy at DIY shops and some gaffer tape will work just fine - as long as it is neatly applied and sealed all the way around etc. I think one of the other posters thought the foam stuff is still aval from Pug. I think the foam pieces are individually moulded as opposed to cut off a roll, but as I say polythene will be fine. Maybe if you took the door card off the other door as well you could use that as a reference as to what needs sealing etc.

Yeah I wish I could, took the door down the scrappy after swapping them over. It may just be the fact I have not sealed up the wholes after changing the door loom, or it may be obvious that some of the inner sheet is missing or damaged fingers crossed.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
    Posted 19th May 2016 at 13:06