displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: clocks going mad
rikky 🦔

Post #1
had this before and can't remember what sorted it, can't find my thread either cos it's too old

when turning ignition to second position, the needles all rise to maximum (fairly slowly) and stay there. then when starting the car they return slowly back to 0, then fire right up fast to maximum again. this causes the oil level and the speedo needles to hit eachother. the mileage is completely wrong, as is the trip meter

tried having battery off for a bit and also tried pulling the shunt fuse. am thinking it's just battery because i think this is similar behaviour to dead battery, although i've had that in the past but the clocks have always worked fine after it runs. not this time though

anything else worth trying before i chuck a new battery on it?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 17:31
rikky 🦔

Post #2
checked voltages, seems to be 12v when off, about 9-10 when cranking, and 14 when running. fluctuates upwards of 14.x slightly when running and settles at 14

can't see any history for a battery so probably due one anyway given i've had the funny needle behaviour in the past

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 17:39
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
What current are you getting from battery

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 18:06
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
Without a doubt sounds like the battery. Yes

Would be worth checking the terminals for a good connection also. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 18:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Also cleaning up some of the earths, fuse box connections might help.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 20:29
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Battery
Posted 17th Jan 2016 at 20:39
rikky 🦔

Post #7
put a new battery on, issue remains

took all earth cabling off and recrimped it, also inspected live looms and all ok

did a lot of messing but nothing fixed it

then, me being the hoarder i am, i stuck another set of clocks from a p3 gti6 into it, and they work perfect.. so i'm going with condensation or something inside the car (it hadn't been used for a week and it steams up inside when left) and it's probably done some damage to the clocks

aside from the faces of the dials saying different things, should i be able to scavenge the faces from my HDI clocks and put them on working gti6 clocks and they'll work?

failing that, i need some HDI clocks around the 160k mark!

Posted 19th Jan 2016 at 12:17
rikky 🦔

Post #8
oh and what's the best way for mileage correction? solder my old clock chip into new clocks?

Posted 19th Jan 2016 at 10:57
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
rikky wrote:
oh and what's the best way for mileage correction? solder my old clock chip into new clocks?

If its just the clocks perhaps its just a dry joint (BOLLOXED SOLDER) on you original clocks perhaps just resolder the one you have hair drier the unit get the moisture out replace solder on suspected area ??? Maybe less hassle

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 19th Jan 2016 at 11:09
rikky 🦔

Post #10
i just took the face off the clocks, and put the face from my HDI onto the spare gti6 p3 clocks i had where the mileage was similar, all working fine Smile well, aside from the needle being 5mph out, but i'll adjust that again tonight

Posted 20th Jan 2016 at 07:49
ravemercer

Regular

Post #11
Had this happen when the lives came loose in the engine bay fuse box it was the bolted ones irrc the dials started going mental when driving along
Posted 20th Jan 2016 at 22:32