displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Recirculating dumpvalve on low boost engine
marco gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Charger stall/surge or whatever therm you prefer to describe what happens when you lift the throttle while on boost.
After having talked with people from Komotec (who are the official German reselers for Rotrex) on the Essen Motorshow this week they say a dumpvalve should be part of every supercharger conversion in order to ensure the reliability of the charger. Komotec make sc conversions mostly for Lotus but also for some Ford, VW and Toyota models, also their prices for sc oil and filters are very well priced

http://www.rotrex-deutschland.de/index.php/eshop-rotrex-deutschland.html

So i wanted to ask what other lowboost owners think about this mater, I know the Lynx conversion says that a dv is not necessary but wouldn't you have stretched that extra 150 quid if they would have offered it?
I know Rich uses a recirculating Bailey DV on the super high boost conversions but as these are quite hard to find there are plenty of other alternatives.

So on a low boost setup the DV would plumb in after the charger outlet and before the throttle body right? Where would the vacuum line got to from the DV then?
Posted 6th Dec 2015 at 11:14
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
It doesn't work as it is because the throttle is on the charger on the low boost? You'd realistically need the dump valve between the throttle body and the charger? Super highboost throttle is after intercooler on inlet manifold. Thumbs up if you work out where to fit let me know Thumbs up

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 6th Dec 2015 at 11:33
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
As Ross says, it's not needed on most of our conversions due to the air metering arrangements - as the throttle is on the inlet of the supercharger, at closed throttle there is no boost generated to dump, therefore a dump valve would be pointless.

On the C38 conversions we do on DTA management, we use a blow through air metering arrangement and use a DV. We don't use recirculating though now, as there are benefits in not recirculating air that has already been compressed and heated up.

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 6th Dec 2015 at 11:59