displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: A definitive cam belt questions thread???
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #1
Right, spent all morning reading all the cam belt threads and whilst there is lots of good info, it seems a bit fragmented..I'm looking as my new Rallye will need a belt. Done 35k on this on an it looks ropey....

So, it seems there are two types. A 136 tooth belt kit and 137 belt tooth kit. Both mde by a variety of manufactures, from what I can gather the 137 tooth kit was on earlier cars and the 136 on later ones not sure when it changed?

Both appear to have pros and cons:

137 tooth belt: Easier to tension but comes with a plastic tensioner

136 tooth belt: harder to tension but comes with a metal tensioner and regarded as better, although you may well need a different tensioner bolt that is now NFP?

Variety of different kits but the Peugeot part number is 0831.48. There are others made by Dayco etc.....

Tension on the belt appears to be right when the belt can be twisted between 45° and 75° on the long side

Is all of that correct and given the choice, would everyone recommend the 136 tooth kit?

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 25th Oct 2015 at 12:57
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #2
136t is the earlier kit, later superseded by the 137t kit with plastic tensioner.

Many people will say that the metal tensioner is better vs plastic - to a degree metal may well be tougher than plastic, but for what it's worth I fitted a 137t kit to the '6 engine in my 205 and that's been abused and was absolutely fine.

As you say the plastic tensioner has the timing tension indicator.

From speaking to mechanic friends, many manufacturers use plastic now so it's common place.

If both are equally priced you may prefer the piece of mind over the metal 136t setup, but in my case a few years ago I bought the 137t kit for pennies so used it.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 25th Oct 2015 at 13:21
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
    its not the materials that cause issues but the sprung nature of the later unit.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 25th Oct 2015 at 14:23
    stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
    welshpug! wrote:
    its not the materials that cause issues but the sprung nature of the later unit.

Agreed, and personally would only fit a 136 to mine. However, I've known people do both and have had no issues.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
    Peugeot 306 GTi-6
    2000 (X), Moonstone Love
    Posted 29th Oct 2015 at 17:16