displaying posts 26 to 50 of 53

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: My other red rallye resto......
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #26
Epic days work.....still no beam or brakes at 3pm......MOT at 16:30...

Rolled off the ramps at 16:35 and off to the test station......it has 12 months MOT

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 6th Nov 2015 at 17:24
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Did my calipers arrive in time buddy?

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 6th Nov 2015 at 19:37
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #28
Oh yes mate, big thanks Ryan......

Arrived about 10:30 this morning and were absolutely bang in bud. Awesome service as ever

Posted 6th Nov 2015 at 19:53
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #29
So, now I'm home, clean and have had a cider or two, I'll explain today in a bit more detail…..

The guy who runs the tyre place I help out at had organised for us to go to a track day at Mallory Park on Sunday. All was fine and we were working steadily on the Rallye to get it done until i got my operation date, which was supposed to be Thursday 5th November. Thinking I wouldn't be going, progress on the Rallye slowed. Tuesday this week, I got a call to say it had been cancelled and I'd be having it next week, on the 11th November. Realisation dawned that I would be going track day racing!

Now the Rallye hadn't got an MOT before today. Having spoken with my mate on Thursday, it was clear it still needed a lot of work. Jobs included replacing the rear beam, replacing the main front to rear brake lines, finishing the welding, sorting the wiring for the lambda sensor, replacing the wiper blades, service it, replace the cambelt, replace some bulbs and a couple of other small jobs.

We decided that the service and cambelt could wait, but everything else needed doing. And doing today. By 16:30 as that was when it was booked in for MOT!

We got to the unit at 06:30. Cup of tea and got cracking. The unions attracting the main front to rear brake pipes to the rear beam and the abs sensor wiring had been undone previously. The beam was ready to remove. Up on the lift, off with the exhaust, spare wheel cage, heat shield and it was time to undo the 6 bolts holding the beam on. Dropped the car back down onto the stands used to do tracking, undid the bolts and lifted the car clear. Beam off and it's only 07:15.

Then set about transferring all the brake lines and as sock bits to the new beam. Discovered two brake pipes were shot so ended up remaking those. At approx 10:30, the rear calipers I'd bought turned up (I'd managed to knacker the ones which came with the beam by shearing the bleed nipples, despite being careful and using loads of heat). Fitted them and got them piped up. By this time, the rest of the welding was underway. We also got quite busy for tyres so got busy doing those. By about 1pm, the welding was done. Next job was replacing the front to rear brake lines. I used the old lines from my other rallye as replacements but had been unable to disconnect the lines on the case from the pipes from the abs pump where they met in a union on the front bulkhead. Ended up disconnecting the pipes from the and pump to give decent access to these unions, then separated the pipes and replaced the main front to rears. Took a lot longer than expected due to access issues and the old pipes came off in so many pieces as they were so corroded but got there in the end.

By this time it was approx 14:30, two hours to MOT and we were feeling the pressure. Went to fit the handbrake cables to discover Parker's had send us Phase 1 306 cables….no go there. Rang them, they said they'd have the right ones to us by 16:30….same time as I was due for MOT….bugger.

No time to waste so by this time, it's 3pm. Car has no rear beam, no brakes, lambda sensor wiring still not sorted and no battery box or ecu. Eeeek.

Lambda sensor took about ten mins to sort. Cut off the old plug, tinned the ends of the loom and new plug cables, joined and used electrical tape around each connection. I'll go back and use proper heatshrink soon. Refitted battery box and reconnected the ecu then moved onto the beam. Dropped the new beam, complete with wheels onto the tracking stands and lowered the car back down onto it. Fed the mount studs through the holes, bolted them up, reconnected the brake lines and then the abs sensors. By now it's 4pm. Shoot.

We begin to fill the brake system with fluid and fill it up. Just one slight weep from a union which was soon sorted and consider how much of the brake pipe system had been apart, I was pleased. Then began the process of bleeding…..painful but had to be done right. At 16:35, it was done. We refitted the exhaust, lowered the ramp, threw in a battery, and drove it off the ramp. Parker's turned up just at that moment so grabbed the cables, threw them and the new wiper blades in the boot and shot off to the MOT station….made it just in time…...fitted the handbrake cables and wipers and then got it onto the ramp…….and it passed.

An epic day of spannering, welding and other bits. Not worked that hard and fast for so long on a car ever. Over the moon though as she passed. Couldn't have done it without the help I had though.

So, where are we at? It still needs a cam belt and a service. We've a Gates Powergrip belt kit (OE belt manufacturers), a water pump, oil, oil filter and fuel filter to do tomorrow. Once that's done, we are at a track day Sunday, then I need to arrange for it to go off for some paint. Then it will be sold…..

Posted 7th Nov 2015 at 00:10
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #30
New gates powergrip cambelt kit and water pump fitted this morning, oil, filter and fuel filter change done, handbrakes adjusted up....track day tomorrow and I think it's ready!!

Posted 7th Nov 2015 at 16:26
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Looking good hope the car performs well :-) I just bought the red rallye on ebay now i have the 3 colours :-) just need the dragoon blue one now lol

1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 7th Nov 2015 at 18:53
99rallye

Regular

Post #32
Well done Ben, what a great read. Makes me feel like my work is at a snails pace!
Posted 7th Nov 2015 at 19:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #33
It does......except the issue with the binding front drivers side brake is back.......

Thought we'd sorted that and a bit of use would help. Seems not, looks like the caliper is dead. Spent the day at my mates unit doing the cambelt etc. Decided to bring the Rallye home tonight as its now insured and taxed. Got about 4 miles into the journey and noticed it wasnt behaving as it should. Seems sluggish, then smelt what I thought was clutch but then realised it wasn't as I'd got a proper soft pedal.....pulled over, lots of smoke from drivers side front wheel.

Bugger. Nursed it back to my mates place. Will get in at 6:30 tomorrow morning and swap out the calipers, bleed it up and hope that's it resolved.

Posted 29th Dec 2015 at 23:33
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Ah i could of sent you a front caliper too if you needed it :-) Hopefully its just the sliders siezed

1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 7th Nov 2015 at 19:29
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #35
Nah, its the caliper. Had it off and freed it up once. Stuck again.....might be tapping you up for one in a few days!

Posted 7th Nov 2015 at 20:09
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #36
I don't know where to start with this...... Sad

Woke up this morning full of hope and got down to my mates unit for 6am. He thought he had GTI6 calipers on a project 205 he'd bought. Unfortunately, they were something else. Ended up taking a caliper off the long term resto Rallye. Managed to swap them over without to much bother and get the system semi bled. Clearly a little air still left in there but we were running late so decided to finish the bleeding at the track.

Drive there was pretty uneventful with the Rallye driving nicely (now we'd sorted the tracking which was so far out it was untrue...) and behaving. Quick stop for fuel and we were there.....happy days.

Got a brew and hired a helemt and attended the safety briefing. Bled the brakes again and got a good solid pedal. Did the sighting laps and then got out for some real fun. And real fun it was. The Rallye was performing very, very well. As rapid as it should be, if not a bit more and I'm not sure it it was the combo of lowered front and std rear but the handling was brilliant and it was showing some cars it really shouldn't have been a thing or two....

About an hour in, I'd just downshifted to third when there was a clattering from the engine, the engine mgt light came on and there was a massive loss of power. Feck. Hazards on, limped back to the pit area.

It's not good. Clattering big time. Turns over and starts although clearly not happy. Either the cambelt has slipped a tooth or two, the bottom pulley has given up or something else has quit. I'm sure its top end as the oil pressure light goes out straight away when it starts up.

Bitterly disappointed after all the hard work we put in to actually get it there. Still, its nothing that can't be fixed.....

Posted 29th Dec 2015 at 23:34
99rallye

Regular

Post #37
Great work getting there. At least you got out and got a feel for the car and enjoyed it.

Shame about the engine but like you say....all fixable
Posted 8th Nov 2015 at 15:19
silky

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Time for a charger on it Ben?
Posted 8th Nov 2015 at 15:34
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #39
Silky, not this one. This was bought purely to fix up and move on to finance the other Rallye resto.

99Rallye, yeah,after all the work of Friday and Saturday,we had to be there. The car was awesome. Really awesome. So awesome I thought about keeping it......but not this one. Rallyes should be kept std and saved.

Will build a track car next year. Something like a cat d or c Rallye would be good, one that won't have too much value in years to come, or an old 6

Posted 29th Dec 2015 at 23:35
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #40
So, I confirmed it this afternoon. The bottom end is dead.... Started it up and for few seconds it rattled its tits off until it built some oil pressure. Rattles when revved but not on idle, also appears to have dropped a plug/coil as its missing.

Read the codes,got this lot.

Misfire on cylinder 1. It's deffo running on 3
Adaptation mixture control I've no idea
Canister purge vale circuit I've no idea either.

It has a slight misfire/was a little lumpy on idle anyway. Wonder if the coil/plug died completely....either way, the bottom end is dead. Not sure what would have caused it to go, I wonder if it was oil starvation... Odd in that I didn't get an oil pressure light on but perhaps I wouldn't have done.....

Still, could be worse I guess!!

Posted 9th Nov 2015 at 18:15
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #41
Give you £300 for it Whistle
Posted 16th Nov 2015 at 17:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #42
Er, no. Stick a one in front of it, I might consider....

Posted 16th Nov 2015 at 17:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #43
1300 for a f**ked rallye with todays scrap prices? LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Nov 2015 at 18:21
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #44
Won't be fucked for long........and other than the bottom end, its now pretty good...

As soon as I'm over this bloody operation and can actually fecking do something, it'll be getting a new bottom end and the original front suspension put back in then getting paint. This next week can go soon enough :|

Posted 16th Nov 2015 at 19:30
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #45
I'd rather w**k my old man off than pay 1300 for a faded red rallye in crap condition! Laugh my ass off

Plus you owe me a favour after I risked life and limb going to the roughest place in Swansea for you Wink
Posted 17th Nov 2015 at 08:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #46
Nah, that was GPM who owes you a favour!

Won't be faded for much longer Wink

Posted 17th Nov 2015 at 09:31
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
I have a caged cherry Rallye shell I could be tempted to part with if the offer was right!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 17th Nov 2015 at 09:34
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #48
Ben_W wrote:
Nah, that was GPM who owes you a favour!

Won't be faded for much longer Wink

You are on and the Same LOL
Posted 17th Nov 2015 at 14:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #49
I've no idea what you are on about!!!

I do owe you a beer/rattler/black rat etc for that.....even though all you had to do was pick up an envelope from an empty house...... Big grin

Posted 17th Nov 2015 at 23:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #50
Right.....time for an update!

Got fed up with the rallye sitting doing nothing and to be honest I could do with the cash so I need to get it sorted and moved on.

Today, the plan was to get to the engine out. Got to my mates place, did a couple of tyres for him on some cars, then cracked on at about 10:30. As expected, every single bolt I needed to undo on the front was rusty, crusty and a general pain in the arse. Needed up drilling two of the three bolts that hold the finger supports on the bottom of the bumper to the cross member off....eventually by about 12:30, the front end was off.....

Then took the car into the unit and started on getting the engine out. Driveshafts out, disconnected everything else, hooked up to the crane and then undid the mounts....tilt on end, lift a bit and out it came. Result. Properly pleased. Fisrt engine removal on my own I've done.

Engine clearly seen better days...looks to be leaking oil front and back, from around the head area on the back. I'll get some pics up of that in a bit.

Took the old rear beam apart the other day. I say took it apart.... I mean smashed it apart. Only way I could was to well the trailing arms with a sledgehammer. Stub axles were so seized in the beam tube I knocked the arms off the stubs before the stubs even though about coming out of the axle tube!!!

Hmmmmmmmm....!!

Beam tube went in the bin.

Posted 8th Dec 2015 at 17:54

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3