displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Could I cut these wires?
bak

Junior User

Post #1
I wanted to know if I could cut these wires without problem in my Trackday car. I do not need tail light, rear wipers or the radio system and I follow the wires and they arrive to the tailgate and rear speakers, so can I cut them?Of course, I will not cut the fuel pump wires Big grin

bak has attached the following image:

Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 20:59
bak

Junior User

Post #2
on the other side they arrive to these sockets and I I think I remember read that these socket are necesary even in a track car

bak has attached the following image:

Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 21:02
bak

Junior User

Post #3
If you say me that this isn't the best way to remove the weight, you are right but drilling and cutting is the easiest way if you didn´t do a disaster XD
Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 21:04
Twangy

Senior User

Post #4
I have taken most of wiring out with no problem

wayne mcardle
Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 22:49
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Those 2 connectors are the ones for the entire rear of the car so you can't cut them out otherwise you lose your fuel pump.

You'll at least need the brake lights, normal lights and fuel pump (definitely worth keeping indicators as well). Easiest way is to get a wiring diagram and get the wire numbers of the ones you want to keep and cut the rest.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 23:35
Twangy

Senior User

Post #6
demondriverdan wrote:
Those 2 connectors are the ones for the entire rear of the car so you can't cut them out otherwise you lose your fuel pump.

You'll at least need the brake lights, normal lights and fuel pump (definitely worth keeping indicators as well). Easiest way is to get a wiring diagram and get the wire numbers of the ones you want to keep and cut the rest.

says he not using taillight in first paragraph only need fuel pump wiring

wayne mcardle
Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 23:48
bak

Junior User

Post #7
As I do not need indicator, lights or brake light, I will remove all of them except fuel pump.

Thank you Wink
Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 06:31
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #8
What are you going to save, weight wise, by doing this? 0.5kg at best??

To be honest, I'd just leave them

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 08:17
bak

Junior User

Post #9
I know that this weight saving isn't so much, but removing a half of kg here, another half of otherplace...at the end is an important quantity. In addition, I do it to see the interior cleaner with fewer cables
Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 09:13
Twangy

Senior User

Post #10
bak wrote:
I know that this weight saving isn't so much, but removing a half of kg here, another half of otherplace...at the end is an important quantity. In addition, I do it to see the interior cleaner with fewer cables

like you say if you took of half a kg here in 20 odd places it starts to add up , and yes it does tidy the inside of the car

wayne mcardle
Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 09:19
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
You don't need brake lights??

Definitely worth doing, the more weight saving the better!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 10:46
rikky 🦔

Post #12
banger racing Unsure

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 10:53
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
rikky wrote:
banger racing Unsure

That's about the only place I can think where brake lights wouldn't be useful / safe. Even if you're on a trackday, you need brake lights. If not for you then for Big Steve in his lowered Fiesta behind who thinks he's the best wet weather driver since Senna, right until he plows into the back of you...

Rallye Race Car
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 11:16
rikky 🦔

Post #14
i don't know anyone called Big Steve who drives a Fiesta - do you?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 11:24
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #15
You'd better be served going to the gym and losing some weight from yourself. Not only healthier, but you'll get the weight saving in every car you go in Wink

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 11:34
bak

Junior User

Post #16
I am on my weight Smile only 70kg with 184cm so I am lightweight XD

At the south of Spain we have 300—320 sunny days per year so I do not need headight or brake light for my car because we run with sun and if its raining, the event is cancelled for the next week
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 13:09
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
rikky wrote:

Haha, maybe! Big grin

bak wrote:

At the south of Spain we have 300—320 sunny days per year so I do not need headight or brake light for my car because we run with sun and if its raining, the event is cancelled for the next week

I can understand headlights but brake lights are pretty important? It's not about you but about other drivers, making it obvious when you're slowing down. Pretty much everyone runs brake lights apart from single-seaters so other drivers will expect to see them

Rallye Race Car
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 13:22
rikky 🦔

Post #18
i'd probably check them all properly cos something might rely on one of the earths. not wise to just cut "from that point backwards"

Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 13:51
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
From memory there's no earth in either of the connector blocks so if bak just earth's the fuel pump (assuming that's all he is keeping) it should be ok.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 14:05
bak

Junior User

Post #20
demondriverdan wrote:
rikky wrote:

Haha, maybe! Big grin

bak wrote:

I can understand headlights but brake lights are pretty important? It's not about you but about other drivers, making it obvious when you're slowing down. Pretty much everyone runs brake lights apart from single-seaters so other drivers will expect to see them

You are on
rightThumbs up but I want to remove it

Finally, I removed the wiring except the fuel pump which has an earth at the side under the driver seat
Posted 9th Oct 2015 at 14:47