displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Cleaning an engine block...
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #1
Guys, whilst the engine and box are out of the Rallye, I want to take the opportunity to make them look properly clean and as good as possible.

Best way to clean a dirty bloc and gearbox?? Was considering having them vapour blasted.... Any other thoughts?

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 1st Oct 2015 at 23:52
rikky 🦔

Post #2
I soaked mine in TFR and then blasted it off with a hot diesel steamer, then wire brushed it down and blasted it again. Came up really good and just gave it a couple of coats of black hammerite smooth

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 2nd Oct 2015 at 07:47
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #3
I used petrol to clean mine down and scrubbed it with a wire brush. Then cleaned off again with brake cleaner, before applying acid etch primer and then high temp black paint.

It came out very well and lasted too. Cool

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 2nd Oct 2015 at 12:57
barrym

Senior User

Post #4
Paraffin is a better choice than petrol. A little bit safer and doesn't evaporate very quickly. Was what I used to use in the parts cleaner when I rebuilt transmissions for a living. Get a parts cleaning brush too and with a little time and effort it will clean up nicely. The only thing that is hard to remove fully this way is waxoil type stuff.

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 2nd Oct 2015 at 17:33
v6saloon

Senior User

Post #5
Aqua blasting would be the best option but you need to make sure any holes are plugged up very well in your engine so you don't get loads of glass bead in your internals

205 mi16
405 Mi16x4 restoration project
406 v6 saloon track car project/daily driver
508 Hdi
Posted 10th Oct 2015 at 07:29