displaying posts 1 to 25 of 56

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: Project Rust Bucket to OEM
thewho07

Regular

Post #1
Hi everyone.

Been looking forward to doing a project thread for ages! I'll try and update as much as I can.

Decided to buy myself another 306, mainly because I want something to work on during the winter months. I've had three 306's in the past - 2 gti's and a d-turbo. I spent the last 6 months or so looking for a half decent one. Decided to buy a 2000 reg Bianca 6 with 80K on the clock. I've had a Nile one and Black one before so was looking forward to getting something different.

Took a bit of a risk buying the car as the service history was very limited, but after having a good look around it and giving it a test drive it seemed like a good enough car for me. I'm planning to completely strip it down anyway, so wasn't wanting to be too fussy. It's completely standard except for the cd player and air filter. The previous owner informed me that he put a replacement engine in the car last year (all backed up with receipts). He also informed me that when he bought the car that it had been sitting in a lock-up for 2 years and wasn't in great shape. He seemed to have spent a lot of money on it and he's made a tidy job of the engine. Bodywork was in decent shape apart from a few stone chips, minor scratches, and dodgy repair work. Interior is immaculate, I finally have a 306 without a ripped seat Big grin

I was only insured for one day so it was just a case of going to pick the car up and bringing it home. It drove absolutely great on the way back. As soon as I got it home I parked it up and started stripping it. Having been inspired by other project threads (Matt Evans Astor project mainly), my plan is to basically refurbish the car back to its former glory. It'll probably take a while but I've got a lot of time on my hands now having recently started uni. First things I'm doing are rust treatment, under-seal then refurb and lower axle. Brakes, discs, alloys, heat shields and all other parts will either be getting replaced or refurbed. Got all the nuts, bolts, washers and brackets soaking in Deox C just now.

Exhaust, axle, fuel tank and all other parts were taken off so I could have a good look at the metalwork underneath and see if there was going to be much rust to deal with. One of the previous owners had made a right mess under-sealing the car - spraying it straight on top of the rust. First job was getting the under-seal off. The only thing that would take it off was petrol on a rag. 4 hours later and feeling a bit dizzy with the fumes, I started to chip away at the rust with a chisel and grinder. A few days on and I've managed to get a good look underneath - so much RUST. Thumbs down It's actually in pretty bad condition unfortunately. Luckily I think I've caught it before it's too late, any worse and I'd be re-shelling it. Arches have been treated with Deox Gel which is making a good job. I'll be spending the next few weeks sanding, wire brushing, chiseling, grinding and probably swearing. Revealing a few holes in the sills...

Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 18:52
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Good luck Crazy
Where in Scotland by the way?

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 16:07
thewho07

Regular

Post #3
Cheers! Selkirk, in the Borders
Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 16:08
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Bloody hell thats got some rust. Good luck Thumbs up

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 18:39
Lecktorious

aka G.

Post #5
Good luck with the project, looks like you have your hands full! All the times I've been down the Borders I've never seen another GTi 6 or Rallye on the road. Don't see many of them anywhere mind!

'98 Nile Blue 306 GTi 6
Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 19:31
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Good man mine has to much rust but yours is way worse good to see you wont let her die good luck dont give up

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 20:42
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Must be something to do with the white ones, i dragged my crashed diablo out of 3 ft of grass earlier to rob the front hubs still clean underneath been there for 3 years now

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 21:09
thewho07

Regular

Post #8
That's another reason I bought one you never see many going about now, especially standard ones. Don't have a clue how it managed to pass an MOT a few months ago. The n/s sill is good and will only need a small section cut out. The o/s sill is pretty bad though, most of it will need cut out unfortunately. The rest is just surface rust, hopefully I don't find any more holes...
Posted 19th Sep 2015 at 21:49
thewho07

Regular

Post #9
Not had much time to work on the car this week. The time I've had on it has been brushing on Deox Gel and wire brushing... Thumbs down

Reconditioned axle is on the way from iMaxles. I also ordered Lemforder bushes for the new axle. I managed to pick up 4 Cyclones pretty cheap, they will be getting reconditioned some time soon. I'm waiting on a friend coming to weld a few holes up so I can get it all undersealed.

Tank heat shield isn't in great shape. I'm going to try and recondition it to save buying a new one.

New arch liner.

Got some disc protectors from Peugeot. £15 each I think they were.

A hole that will be getting welded shortly

Deox Gel hard at work...

This was completely covered in rust yesterday... (....and still is LOL )

Calipers looking good

Posted 26th Sep 2015 at 22:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
What do you use to clean the parts up?

EDIT: Should have read, Deox C?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Sep 2015 at 23:07
thewho07

Regular

Post #11
Not much of an update really. Not been able to get on with the car this week as I'm still waiting on a friend coming to weld a few spots.

Went through a whole bottle of Deox Gel on the underside so most surface rust has disappeared Thumbs up Next step after welding will be giving the remaining rust spots a few coats of Rust Bullet (looks like good stuff... pitty about the price! Thumbs down). Then I'll give it a coat of underseal to finish it off.

Started getting the axle sorted out and fitting some de-rusted painted parts. Imaxle's made a good job of it.

Some more parts after soaking in Deox C for a few days

Refurbed beam vs old oneThumbs up

My attempt at removing abs sensors... LOL

Trying out a few different positions for the rear badges. Yes or no?

Standard looks best I think

Posted 4th Oct 2015 at 18:15
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Well done - doing that is seriously hard work.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 4th Oct 2015 at 19:09
thewho07

Regular

Post #13
mik wrote:
Well done - doing that is seriously hard work.

Thanks Mik. It's very hard work - I'm getting sick of it! Cannot wait to get it back together and never have to go under it ever again! LOL

Just had a good read at your project thread, car is looking great. You been doing anything to it lately?
Posted 5th Oct 2015 at 22:23
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
You might want to consider coating the disc protectors in something, maybe clear lacquer or painting over them silver or something as they will eventually go the same way as the old ones.

This'll be fantastic when the underside is all done. I'd like to do something similar in the next couple of years.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 12:33
thewho07

Regular

Post #15
RetroPug wrote:
You might want to consider coating the disc protectors in something, maybe clear lacquer or painting over them silver or something as they will eventually go the same way as the old ones.

This'll be fantastic when the underside is all done. I'd like to do something similar in the next couple of years.

Thanks Thumbs up

I plan to coat them anyway! All remaining metal parts will be coated in Rust Bullet then top coated. May even go over the backbox with VHT to give it some sort of protection!
Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 15:39
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Take my hat off to you my friend ...

Looking great ...keep going m8 it will soon come together ...

Please Keep the updates coming ..Thumbs up
Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 16:49
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
thewho07 wrote:

Thanks Mik. It's very hard work - I'm getting sick of it! Cannot wait to get it back together and never have to go under it ever again! LOL

Just had a good read at your project thread, car is looking great. You been doing anything to it lately?

Not much done since the cam belt. The car is in the garage having the crushed box sections fixed (again). I'm off overseas for a few months but will be getting the bonnet and tailgate painted when I get back, reinstalling the undertray etc. I don't want to go through underbody de-rusting on another car - it took months and I was well sick of it by the end.

Ref your nice new disc protectors, I agree they need painting. Like you I bought brand new ones from Pug as the old ones were toast. I scuffed up the new ones, zinc primed and silver painted them. 2-3 years later they are still perfect.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Oct 2015 at 17:32
thewho07

Regular

Post #18
Little bit of an update. Been busy under the car this week, mainly painting (plus banging my head off exhaust hangers Thumbs down). After a final session with Deox Gel, I gave the whole area 2 coats of Rust Bullet. Very impressed with this stuff so far, it's easy to use and it sets solid (apparently dehydrates the rust to prevent it getting worse). However, I would advise wearing gloves when using it. Nothing can remove it from bare skin, trust me.

I decided to give all the seams a coating of seam sealer to make it as rust-proof as possible. While that was setting I got the tank braces painted up and fitted a few more parts to the axle, tank and axle are now ready to fit back onto the car.

Seam sealer set, I started coating with Hammerite Underbody Seal. Horrible stuff - goes everywhere. Took a few hours to give it a good thick coating. It doesn't make a pretty job. I decided a while ago I'd rather the underbody was well protected rather than looking great. Left that to set over night, then today I got the tank and axle mounted back onto the car (photos to follow).

Posted 17th Oct 2015 at 23:27
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #19
Oh the memories of doing this to my Rallye. My shoulder and back are still semi knackered from doing it.......

Good work though bud.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 18th Oct 2015 at 09:55
thewho07

Regular

Post #20
Thanks!

Anyone know if I can buy these anywhere? It's for the fuel line/breather connections, somehow I broke it!

Posted 18th Oct 2015 at 22:01
thewho07

Regular

Post #21
Little bit of an update. Unfortunately I never found time to take lots if pictures and upload them to the thread! The car is finished for now, thank god! Was getting extremely tired of lying underneath for weeks on end.

Things I have done since I got it in August 2015.

- Treated rust, seam sealed, and undersealed
- Renewed suspension all round (new rear axle -30mm, new shocks front and back, Eibach -30mm springs, etc)
- Renewed all suspension bushes, ball joints, and mounts
- New clutch
- New flywheel crank seal and hockey stick seals
- Cleaned out sump while it was off
- Fitted rallye aux kit
- Driveshaft seals
- Refurbished brakes all round (including new seals, disks, hoses and pads)
- Replaced rear wheel bearings
- Replaced rear disc protectors
- Engine mounts
- Replaced some of the gear linkages
- Replaced/refurbished exhaust heat shields
- Refurbished alloys
- New tyres all round
- Replaced rear arch liners
- Rear ABS sensors
- Replaced thermostat
- Replaced radiator hoses
- Refurbed/painted sub-frame with new mounts
- New power steering ram
- Full service with genuine pug parts

Quite happy with the way its driving, handles like new, no knocks, no rattles... it feels great! Pulls like a train with no hesitation. Slightly leaky N/S driveshaft seal and leaking radiator but apart from that it runs great!

Posted 9th Jan 2016 at 15:27
99rallye

Regular

Post #22
Looks great..love the first pic of it on the road. I always think white really suits 306s
Posted 9th Jan 2016 at 16:10
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #23
Well done mate,you've managed to do more in 4 months than most do in 4 years! Thumbs up
Posted 9th Jan 2016 at 16:19
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Well done mate Smile
I could have warned you about the rust bullet on your hands, I found out the hard way too.LOL

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 9th Jan 2016 at 16:32
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Wow what a list. I bet you're really happy with it now.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 10th Jan 2016 at 09:31

Pages (3): [1] 2 3