displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: PAS Pump - Replace? And what with?
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
So i'll be replacing attempting to replace my steering rack with the Xsara PH1 i got off Ash what seems like years ago. And while doing this as the PAS system will be drained i thought i could remove the PAS Pump and finally get round to fitting some nice shiny bits from Rich W as one of mine is making a weird noise.

And me being me...i thought since i'm doing all this will be be removing the PAS Pump why not replace the PAS Pump.

Questions are:

1) Can they be refurbed easily?
2) If getting a new one is a better idea - where and what to to get? I've seen tons of ebay including refurbed ones. But there isn't actually anything wrong with mine as far as i can tell...so i'm only replacing as a preventative measure and thus fitting something new (or as new) would be the way forward
3) Should i step away from the car and stop subjecting it to my hamfisted attempts to 'improve' Smile

(Yeh very much a Friday topic)

Ta

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 18th Sep 2015 at 14:22
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Is it your pump making noise? If so, just get a good 2nd hand one from pug_306. He gave me one super cheap that he'd had working off of another car.

If the pump isn't broken, just leave it. An overtightened aux belt had killed mine. You should have an auto-tensioner I believe. Check all the other pulleys etc for play.

Basically, they rarely go wrong, and they're not difficult to change anway, so if it ain't broke...

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 18th Sep 2015 at 16:58
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #3
RetroPug wrote:
Is it your pump making noise? If so, just get a good 2nd hand one from pug_306. He gave me one super cheap that he'd had working off of another car.

If the pump isn't broken, just leave it. An overtightened aux belt had killed mine. You should have an auto-tensioner I believe. Check all the other pulleys etc for play.

Basically, they rarely go wrong, and they're not difficult to change anway, so if it ain't broke...

No noise from pump. Was just thinking about doing as i would have it all in bits anyway.

Sensible advise as ever.

Just been told the GTR is off the road for another month while i await a ABS Sensor (I'm guessing that driving around with a known fault would invalidate insurance!) from Japan! And you wouldn't believe we've had dry sunny weekends the last few and this one as well...ideal hooning weather! Typical. But at least i have no excuse not to start on this now! Big grin

Ta

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 18th Sep 2015 at 18:03