displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Magnex blowing
ritchie-t

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys,

Just got a used magnex cat back and fitted to the car. All sits nice and straight, but the sleeve fittings seem to blow just a little. You cannot hear it when driving really, but on idle with the window open I and just hear it blowing a bit.

The sleeve joins appear to go on fairly snug and I have tried with both u-clamps and mikalor clamps but neither are better than the other. If I put my hand near the two joins with the engine running I can feel the air coming out.

Is this something I will just have to live with? It is not too bad and doesn't sound like a knackered blowing exhaust, but I just like to have things right Yes

As they slide together nice and snug I am wondering if any sealing paste would even get into the gap between the two and stay there. I guess just smear it around the pipe and slide the sleeve end of the pipe over that, clamp and wait to dry?

Interested to hear what other people with magnex cat backs have done Thumbs up
Posted 15th Aug 2015 at 17:35
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Yeah that'll work. The paste will get in there fine. It did on mine anyhow.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 16th Aug 2015 at 07:38
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
It's worth checking for little cracks at the bottom of the base of the splits in the pipes. Mine appears to be getting thin and so the next time it's off the car I'll probably have to TIG them up.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 16th Aug 2015 at 07:40
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
they are a tight fit the magnex systems I ran a 4" now got a 3" (slightly less Deaf now!!!)

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 16th Aug 2015 at 09:48
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
but mine used to blow slightly from centre to rear join, weld it is only way to fully ensure no leakage,unless you weld like bird poop like me!!!!

I tried paste and stuff and always still had a slight blow fro there!

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 16th Aug 2015 at 09:50
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Bought a 2.5 Peouget sport complete system second hand with is A Magnex ...it blew on every joint a little .!
Took it to local exhaust place in Bristol ...Infinity Exhausts who cut off Sleeving & welded clamp together two bolt joints with a gasket on each joint Thumbs up

Spot on now
Also bonus with this is it fits 100% in same place when you have to remove & refit for Satchel shift fitting etc
Posted 16th Aug 2015 at 11:56
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Yeah bolt joints wth gaskets are good. Mongoose/Blue Flame systems use them.

With sleeved fit joints I always put loads of holts gun gum exhaust repair paste on the one going inside the sleeve (I find sealing/assembly paste to not really last) and slide it over, then I clamp it down very tight.

Once my exhaust is assembled, I then run the engine and use my hand near every joint to feel for blowing, when I do feel it, I get more repair paste and smear it all over the area which is blowing.

If you really want to go to town, you can then leave that to harden for 25 minutes or so, and then come back and run the engine again and repeat.

It won't solve an absolutely awful joint, but it will help it to seal better if the joint is good but not perfect and only has a slight blow. I found that sleeved joints want to be done up really quite tightly as well.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 16th Aug 2015 at 15:31