displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Wheel arch liners.
Craig g

Regular

Post #1
Removed them from my Rallye yesterday to have a poke and a prod behind to see if there were any issues... Surprise surprise I found some rust.....

Putting the rust to one side at the moment, I'm only intending to use the car as an occasional driver once it's back together so I was considering not refitting these once I've sorted rust....not only because they are partly broken but equally I think it looks better to see the painted metal arch also..

Thoughts?

If they are better in than out - I presume I can use any Peugeot 306 3 door liner, and that the ones installed on Rallyes weren't specific?

Thanks,
Craig
Posted 15th Aug 2015 at 11:15
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #2
If you want to keep them off I would recommend that you coat the arches with some ACF-50, Waxoyl or even stonechip - after all, you don't want to be fixing rust problems again and again in the same area!

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 15th Aug 2015 at 12:55
Craig g

Regular

Post #3
I was going to take the wheel arches back to bare metal, prep, stone chip and then paint so hopefully that would be sufficient!
Posted 15th Aug 2015 at 13:19
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I had my arch liners out for a couple of weeks while I was doing some work on the car. It took a while to clean up the arches before reinstalling them as a lot of road dirt got in places it normally wouldn't, exposing more nooks and crannies for mud/salt. You will get dirt and stuff everywhere such as right up in the wings and the liners protect some bits like fuel filler pipe etc. There will be a lot more turbulent air in the wheel arches at speed so fuel economy will deteriorate to some extent.

Poke around at any underseal - if there are bubbles in the underseal or it moves when you prod it there will probably be rust behind.

I would keep the arch liners on the car - they are there for a reason.

There may be different arch liner versions for higher-spec cars with side skirts (including a lot of late cars and all GTI-6s, Rallyes). Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 18th Aug 2015 at 11:47
Craig g

Regular

Post #5
Thanks - fronts are definitely going back in, would need to locate one new rear one plus new fixings...
Posted 18th Aug 2015 at 14:11
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #6
Rear ones still available from Peugot I think.

One side is something like £17 whilst the other side is £40.....

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 18th Aug 2015 at 14:58
Craig g

Regular

Post #7
Cool - I'll give my local dealer a call and order.
Posted 18th Aug 2015 at 17:17