displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: dodgy air con?
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
My car blew the bottom pipe high pressure side out the compressor and the condenser about a month ago so I swapped them out for new, replaced o rings etc a couple of weeks ago. Paid a local mobile guy to come over to recharge it. Seemed to do a proper job, pulled a vacuum, dosed it with oil and weighed in the gas.

Worked fine initially until last week when I switched on for a journey on a hot day and it would turn itself off and on every 5-10 seconds. Cooled down slightly but became irritating so I switched it off. Next day was cooler but tried it and no problems. Tried it again today at lunch, same thing. Tried again on the way home from work earlier and no problems, properly cold all the way home on a 30 minute journey. Got home and had to pop down to post office andit started turning off and on again.

When turning it on I'm getting erratic idling and when I rev and allow to idle in neutral it was almost stalling. At idle when I rev it up and allow to idle it drops down and you can hear the compressor click off, then on again a few seconds later.

Anyone had any experience with this?. Wondering if it's been over gassed? From the aircon guys book it says early cars have around 932 grams of gas whereas later ones are more like 720 grams iirc. My six is a phase 2.5 so dunno if that classifies it as early or late!

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 7th Aug 2015 at 18:54
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
Sounds like the pressure switch could be faulty.

You need to bypass it to find out - by removing the brown 4-pin plug and then bridging the pins 1 and 3 with some wire.

This will allow the ECU into thinking that the air-con is fully gassed (so be confident that it actually is, otherwise damage to the compressor will occur) and then see if the system works perfectly.

If it does - a new pressure switch will be required.

The switch is located on the driver's side, above the wheel arch in the bonnet. It's a large round silver thing in the air-con line, with a brown plug attached.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 8th Aug 2015 at 09:04
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
The erratic idling my be where it's fully gassed the hi speed fans are now cutting in and out. My 6 only does this when fully gassed and yes it is 720g on the later ones. Once it's dropped a little they stop cutting in. So basically what um asking is, are you sure the compressor is switching on/off all the time or could it just be the hi speed fans which is the natural effect of a fully charged system.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 8th Aug 2015 at 10:26
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Thanks for the advice guys, i'll look into it and report back.

Posted 8th Aug 2015 at 14:55
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Turns out bridging pins 2 and 4 was doing the trick and allowing the compressor to kick in when I turned on the aircon in the car. 1 and 3 were just engaging the fans.

Anyway aircon got nice and cold and wasn't turning itself off and on again. A few things I noticed though. Firstly whenever I revved the engine in neutral the clutch on the compressor would click off as the revs dropped again, I don't remember it ever doing this before, then the idle would dip and the compressor would re-engage. Secondly, when the compressor did kick back in it would almost stall the engine and did on one occasion.

I'm not 100% sure but driving up and down the road with it on a could detect a very faint whirring sound. Thirdly, peering down the side of the engine toward the aircon pulley when it did 're-engage it looked like it didn't engage smoothly and stuttered a bit.

Is this the symptoms of a Donald compressor here? I don't have any record of it ever being changed so that puts it on 185k lol

Posted 8th Aug 2015 at 17:25
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Mine sometimes does that in traffic where it clicks in and out. Sometimes my revs struggle but I think that's just icv not doing its job right. So you need a new pressure switch then? Is Bracknell far from maidstone? I have a spare compressor you can buy for collection for not a lot if need be. However, I don't know what it's condition is.

Posted 8th Aug 2015 at 18:41
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Yeah with the blcok connector back on it worked perfectly last night, again today on the way to the shops and played up on the way back. Has to be the switch, to bad I'll have to get all that gas removed again to replace the switch

Posted 9th Aug 2015 at 17:13
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
The ac machine should be able to reclaim the gas, get the bit changed and put it back in iirc.

Posted 9th Aug 2015 at 18:44