displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Another pair of hands!
Craig g

Regular

Post #1
Evening all!

Anyone local to me - who'd be willing to assist me fit a new exhaust (decat - middle section - back box), tried doing it myself but I'm struggling to be able to get the decat / manifold done what with only having two hands and limited space...

Much appreciated!
Craig
Posted 24th Jul 2015 at 22:35
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'm far from local but the way I do it on mine is to assemble the centre and backbox and hang them on their hangers as far back as I can get them.
Then I lay under the car so my feet face towards the rear bumper and head under the subframe, then locate the cat on the manifold and have the two nuts just on the bolts so there is a reasonable amount of movement there, then push the centre section back whilst locating the cat into the centre section, once that's in place I tighten the nuts up a bit then pull the centre section and back box forwards until they are in position and clamp them together.
It's a fiddly pain in the arse but can be done on your own with a bit of patience.
I've done it a few times now on my own, I think it helps to use the flexi ratchet type spanners Goethe manifold-cat bolts as they can be a bit tricky to get to when doing it on axle stands.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 24th Jul 2015 at 22:54
alcon

Senior User

Post #3
Can't really vouch for that ^^^^ but actually sounds like a very good piece of advice written from actual experience...well done young man!

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 24th Jul 2015 at 23:00
Craig g

Regular

Post #4
Thanks for the advice!

I've got the centre and back box hung (bar a bit of fine adjusting once it's all in place) but where I am struggling is with the decat / manifold getting springs, washers and nuts on... I think I'll try getting the car higher on stands and do it as try as above! I'll give it a couple of days as its doing my head in!

Thanks,
Craig
Posted 24th Jul 2015 at 23:05
Eddleston

Regular

Post #5
Yeah it's a bugger on those springs and nuts but I had my ratchet cv joint and 6" extension running down above the sub frame and a ratchet spanner on the bottom. Did up nicely.
I had space issues too.

the zombie apocalypse started long ago, only no-one realised most can talk and drive
Posted 3rd Aug 2015 at 11:36