displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Clutches & Gearboxes
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi all,

So as you may have read, i've stripped the interior in preparation for the Satchshift - all v exciting...

Today i managed to drive the car for the first time without sound proofing etc and i was slightly alarmed - my gearbox whines its tits off!!

Is this normal or is it about to die a horrible death? (its done 160k...)

Also, clutches, in the heat today it became both a little lazy to release and also bite further toward the top than previously, i've always thought the clutch would need attention so i'm not alarmed but trying to sense what is normal behaviour? - Do they bite at the top when worn? Is the whining likely to be the associated release bearing?

Cheers gents

Chris
Posted 3rd Jul 2015 at 19:21
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
The bite changing will probably be down to the adjuster in the cable becoming very hot and sticking.

As for the whine from the box itself, no they don't normally do that, get a second opinion.
It might be worth getting the box reconditioned, along with new clutch and cable - then you'll be good to go for a while yet. Smile

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 4th Jul 2015 at 09:00
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Yeah I assumed as much, I changed the cable which helped enormously but the box itself is a much bigger job, is that quite an expensive job?
Posted 4th Jul 2015 at 09:45
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #4
If you're looking at someone to remove/refit box and change clutch you're probably looking around £200 labour.

Reconditioning the box would probably be around £300-£500 on it's own, depending on where you go.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 4th Jul 2015 at 20:14