displaying posts 1 to 24 of 24

Author Subject: rough running/injectors bad
devere

Senior User

Post #1
Right. I've had a nightmare at the weekend with the car developing a terrible miss fire bordering on the undriveable.

It's struggling to start. When it does start it idles OK. Ad soon as any throttle is applied it runs like a bag of nails. Misses, no power, running lean.

I'm getting the injectors checked. They are flowing very differently, so are either shagged or blocked. The difference in one flow test being one flowing 122ml I believe in a short space of time, and the lowest of the 4 flowing 82mm. So a big difference over a short period

Would 2 injectors being worse than the others cause the lean running with revs, as they can't get the fuel in that's required? But they just about manage to get enough in to idle OK?

Strangely enough we could unplug 2 injectors that didn't affect the running.... so I'm at a loss with that one.

Is there anywhere else I need to be looking at, or just hope that some hopefully cleaned and matched injectors will make the car run normally again....?

A bit pushed for time to get the car back on the road for next Wednesday..
Posted 2nd Jun 2015 at 22:49
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Coil packs maybe ?

I just had a set of injectors cleaned and now flow 170 something or other ?
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 21:26
devere

Senior User

Post #3
Should have said. This is my high compression, throttle bodied engine with 310cc injectors. Runs pt84 cams. So good sized cams that I assume need a fair bit of fuel all over the Rev range...

It's running on an omex 600 with ht leads rather than standard coil packs.
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 21:44
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Mines on jenvey 45s ...Mine were running like a bag of nails also... Used my old injectors on them ...just got my 6 stnd injectors back tonight from being checked & tested & ultrasonically cleaned ....they told me one was down similar to yours....fitted them tonight & it's like a new car Thumbs up
Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 21:29
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Timing moved?
Seems strange that it has suddenly started doing it

Nothing to see here
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 21:46
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
did seem like an injector issue, sorry I didn't say hello properly, see how it goes with cleaned injectors, look up asnu injector cleaning, theres a list of places on the asnu site, I think one is your way called mr injector.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 21:58
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Mine cost me £12.50 each one & Mei is correct on the Asnu cleaning unit !
Had 8 done ...x4 spare now Thumbs up
The bloke on EBay from Devizes has a great reputation !!!!
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:35
devere

Senior User

Post #8
Injectors went to the very same Mr injector you mention this afternoon.

He checked them quickly on the machine to see if they actually worked, which they were, although visibly different flow from them all.

If they aren't flowing enough then that could mean not being able to fire enough fuel in on cranking to get it to fire up? Then also not keep up with what's needed when the throttle is opened...?

I thought timing, but if it moved it would probably have bent some valves with the big cams. Plus it actually idled fine once it actually got going...

Mr injector is getting them sorted tomorrow to see if they will all match with a clean. Then tomorrow evening il see if it will fire up.

If not where do I look? I assume on the omex 600 it wouldn't be an injector driver down? Would that knock out 2 cylinders in that way? Or is there only a single driver for all 4 on the ecu?

The other option, if I need new injectors, how much time would it realistically take to go over it all to remap for say pico 330cc injectors over my current 310s? Although I'd have to look at how a shorter injector mounts instead of the longer type in the bodies and fuel rail...
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:34
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I've got a 8 injector setup I've just fitted x4 stnd 6 long injectors in the manifold & x4 330cc short Pico Gen not EBay Chinese clone ones in my Jenvey bodies !

Cant see it being a massive issue mapping ?
Massive difference the cleaning made ....hope yours get sorted ?
Do you have a Jenvey rail billet or adjustable ? ...if your going long to short no big issue with Jenvey ?...you just use shorter screws & no spacers with Billet rail ?....I take it yours are Jenvey ?

Day666 has attached the following image:

Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
the shorter injectors still need a spacer iirc, just a shorter one and suitable bolt.

how long it takes to trim the fuel really depends on how good the mapper is and how thorough he is.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:52
devere

Senior User

Post #11
Yes jenveys. I've got the original adjustable width rail with the cut to measure pipe.

I have to see if I have shorter bolts left over from the fuel rail kit.

Where is the best place to get the 330 pico injectors within a day if required??
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:54
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
welshpug! wrote:
the shorter injectors still need a spacer iirc, just a shorter one and suitable bolt.

how long it takes to trim the fuel really depends on how good the mapper is and how thorough he is.

My Jenvey Billet rail didn't Mei flat interface fit
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:54
devere

Senior User

Post #13
The mapper did a fan good job this time. So I'd hope he could do it well in that case. I'm owed some free dyno time anyway, so it could be time to call in the favour...!
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
ask mr injector Smile

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 22:59
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
devere wrote:
Yes jenveys. I've got the original adjustable width rail with the cut to measure pipe.

I have to see if I have shorter bolts left over from the fuel rail kit.

Where is the best place to get the 330 pico injectors within a day if required??

110% Jenvey Direct !!!!
Ring Nigel on 07415 891597
Amazing bloke there sales Director
Tell him the pain in the Ass from Bristol / Damien put you on to him Whistle
They are quite good on prices also Thumbs up
330cc Pico INSTOCK !!!!

Be careful with Ebay specials !!!....fakes about ive seen them this week & they look s**te you will know by just looking at them & they weigh 1/2 as much Thumbs up
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 23:23
devere

Senior User

Post #16
welshpug! wrote:
ask mr injector Smile

Il ask him tomorrow, but his website states only one in stock!

I'm sure other places would keep them tho...
Posted 1st Jun 2015 at 23:15
devere

Senior User

Post #17
Well, this evening I decided to whack some standard injectors in the car, to see if it woulf fire up. And if it was running on 4.

Lo and behold, it burst into life and ran on all 4 cylinders. I at least managed to dismiss any possibility of there being a problem other than the injectors.

I then had a call from Mr Injector saying he had got my proper injectors all back to there exact flow specs, and they were as good as new again. What a relief!

I will get them fitted back in on Thursday night, and make sure all is good again. Then I just have to sort the clutch cable and new gear stick!
Posted 2nd Jun 2015 at 22:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #18
good news!

looks like ill be sending some of my spares down to them too, how much do they charge?

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Jun 2015 at 22:53
devere

Senior User

Post #19
Ultrasonic cleaning is 12.50 per injector. But if they can't get them back to spec then he doesn't charge for it. So you don't have to pay for duff injectors which I though was good.

Really nice bloke too. Very helpful as he freed up a machine on the spot to get mine under way checking them over.
Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 10:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #20
cool, not too bad but adds up if you have 8 to check!

Should use a lot less fuel after the map is refreshed, and may well pick up some torque.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 10:57
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #21
This is an interesting thread, looks like i will be sending my spare injectors for a clean then too. Then fit them back on the car and see what difference it makes.
Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 11:23
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I ordered rebuild kits for the injectors from Mr.Injector at a good price as well. They were very friendly over the phone and were very rapid at getting them to me. They seem to provide great service at reasonable prices.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 12:16
devere

Senior User

Post #23
Yeh I guess it does add up woth 8 to do. But I'm happy paying 50 quid for 4 refreshed injectors rather than having to buy 4 brand new ones! I
Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 13:50
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
I had x8 standard green Weber long injectors cleaned & that cost me £110 all in !
Only problem is I only needed x4 & had to buy x4 Pico 330cc short injectors for my x8 setup ...which was a big ouch Thumbs down
Got x4 spare now !!!
Has made a massive difference Thumbs up
Posted 3rd Jun 2015 at 22:09