displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: oil in intake....
barrym

Senior User

Post #1
Hi all,

serviced my car today and whilst removing and cleaning the air filter i noticed what seems to me like a considerable amount of oil in the intake before the TB.

I know some oil will get there due to the breather system, but it was more than I would have expected. Not a light covering but oil had built up in the corrugations of the inlet pipe.

It does explain why I am getting a puff of white smoke out the exhaust when changing gears at high revs and hard changes, but it's something I want to resolve for the better.

Is this completely normal and I shouldn't worry, is this a common problem with an easy fix, or should i just fit a catch tank?

Thanks in advance again guys Thumbs up

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 4th May 2015 at 20:25
craig903

Regular

Post #2
Clean it out and check it again in a week or so. If its built back up then you have issues. Most likely cause would be the head gasket. but saying that it could be piston rings allowing too much combustion pressure to pass by into the lower block. Do a compression test would be you next step.

208 GTI Owner
Turbo'd '6 project - work in progress
Posted 4th May 2015 at 20:55
barrym

Senior User

Post #3
Thanks, but I really don't think I have any serious engine issues. It doesn't lose any oil,I have never had to top up the oil between services, coolant and temp is spot on etc.

I think this is purely a breather issue. Although it could also be because I have been nursing the car lately as I thought I had a buggered top mount. Turns out I didn't and have fixed the problem so am free to go have fun again. Maybe extra revs and the associated vacuum will keep it clean?

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 4th May 2015 at 21:15
craig903

Regular

Post #4
Extra revs may clear it but then it may also breath even more oil out the breather. Get a catch tank like you mensioned and keep an eye on it. Generally when engines start breathing a lot off oil out the breather its because the pressures are building up to hi inside hence why i said head gasket/rings

208 GTI Owner
Turbo'd '6 project - work in progress
Posted 4th May 2015 at 21:56
gretsch-drummer

Regular

Post #5
Mine was exactly the same and contributed to my sometimes high and dodgy idle. It's all coming from your standard breather set up.

I've now removed the pipe feeding into the throttle body and bodged a filter on the end of a pipe. Been perfect since.

Ph1 Cossack 6'
Posted 4th May 2015 at 22:09