displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: fitting vts phase 1 rack
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #1
I have fitted a vts rack to my 6 along with all new suspension parts upfront. I know i need to get it tracked but if i put the wheels straight then the steering wheel is almost 180 degrees out. The rack has new arms and ends fitted which i bought off Jord (andy). If i adjust the steering by eye myself then in order to have the steering wheel straight i have to have the drivers track rod screwed right in and the passenfer one screwed right out? My queation is can you remove the steering wheel and rotate it to where i want it (not moving the contact reel position ofcourse)? I measured the old rack from the end of the track arm to the middle of the ball joint and it was roughly 45mm so thats what i put the new rack measurements to. Ive got a mobile mechanic coning to track the car but i dont want him saying he cant do it as it would mean one track arm screwed in and one screwed far out?
Posted 27th Apr 2015 at 12:34
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Mossy1985 wrote:
I have fitted a vts rack to my 6 along with all new suspension parts upfront. I know i need to get it tracked but if i put the wheels straight then the steering wheel is almost 180 degrees out. The rack has new arms and ends fitted which i bought off Jord (andy). If i adjust the steering by eye myself then in order to have the steering wheel straight i have to have the drivers track rod screwed right in and the passenfer one screwed right out? My queation is can you remove the steering wheel and rotate it to where i want it (not moving the contact reel position ofcourse)? I measured the old rack from the end of the track arm to the middle of the ball joint and it was roughly 45mm so thats what i put the new rack measurements to. Ive got a mobile mechanic coning to track the car but i dont want him saying he cant do it as it would mean one track arm screwed in and one screwed far out?

Andy Jord Knows his stuff ...but be warned I bought everything GEN new for my Mk1 Steering & they gave me a 6 end instead of a VTS end & they are 100% different size/ lengths different & that was similar what I had ?
I bought Two new turnbuckles also inside of ends !!!!
It may of been them that were different thinking about it Now ?
i did move my steering wheel but both my Track rod ends are equal each side !
Posted 27th Apr 2015 at 13:09
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #3
Thanks for the reply, trackibg guy is here now so will see what he says and i will make sure the ends are equal
Posted 27th Apr 2015 at 13:31
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
its the rack you want centred specifically, if theyre different length rods you wont want them the same length, specifically its the length from the inner joint to outer joint that needs to be the same.

if the wheel has never been off then its a good place to start the process.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Apr 2015 at 14:24
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #5
I took the wheel off and centred it, he has adjusted the track rods so they are equal and it seems ok to me. It was pretty basic equipment he had but it has made it driveable so i can take it to a garage i have used several times that has a hunter system
Posted 27th Apr 2015 at 14:38