displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: strengthened gear box.
mattgti6phase2

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi guys.

Been a long time since I have posted, a friend of my has a P1 clio 172 which is charged and is running around 350bhp iirc.

The standard box is rated at 240 torque and that's the exact torque going through it since its been charged. Needless to say the box is struggling now.

You guys know your stuff so my question is how can it be made stronger to cope with the power and torque, or would it be easier to mate another gearbox from another car which is rated for higher power and torque to the clio?

Many thanks.

Team Nile 6 Superman
Team: 40.2 MPG Smile
5 x a 306 owner!
currently abusing type r's in a town near you ™ Wink
I truely live for the 306 ®
Build date: 29th October 1997 Wednesday's car
midweek madness Tee hee
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 11:28
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Don't have a clue about the Clio gear box, he could get the gear set shot peened and cyro treated but from experience it doesn't really prolong the life of the gears.

Maybe he should look into if the gear set from the 225 etc fit as they cope with some big power that those boys apply to them

In the last issue of pfc 2 Clio turbos were featured with more torque than you mate has so have a look at the feature and see what they did
Posted 26th Apr 2015 at 12:33