displaying posts 1 to 24 of 24

Author Subject: AVO vs GAZ
osm2121

Regular

Post #1
Well, im planning on getting some coilovers for a 205, fast road/track day use, mainly.
So far according to my budget, and for what I´ve seen, im between the AVO GTZ and the GAZ GHA coilovers, they´re aprox £500, wich would be the best ones to buy?
Im new at this coilover thing, so I´d be glad if someone could give me a hand with this stuff.

The GAZ one says they are "on car damping adjustment" and the AVO says "With adjustable damping rate", that would be bound and rebound? Other than the riding height, I can adjust the damper "stiffnes" in this ones right?

Other thing, is the spring load. They say you can ask for different load springs, any recomendations? This would be the weekends toy, so I want a set as sporty for track use as posible, but still need to be able to use it in road, althoug I dont care much for comfort, dont want to break the car on the road.

And of course, which one is better made, lasts more and that stuff. Cause as im in Uruguay, chances on refurbing them here are almost none.

Thanks guys
Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 16:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
neither, stick to bilstein and save up more.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 18:57
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Both will adjust compression and rebound together on one adjuster I believe. Spring rate depends on what torsion bars and arb you are running at the rear. On standard bars you won't be able to run soft enough springs with those dampers. The springs supplied with 306 coilovers are normally around 280lbx8", much softer and you run the risk of them going coilbound. Standard springs are in the region of 130lb so you can decide for yourself what doubling that will do without touching the rear!
I've used both gtz's and gha's and rated neither, I'd save up for something decent or at that budget go Bilstein/eibach.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 19:14
Puggitt

Regular

Post #4
allanallen wrote:
Both will adjust compression and rebound together on one adjuster I believe. Spring rate depends on what torsion bars and arb you are running at the rear. On standard bars you won't be able to run soft enough springs with those dampers. The springs supplied with 306 coilovers are normally around 280lbx8", much softer and you run the risk of them going coilbound. Standard springs are in the region of 130lb so you can decide for yourself what doubling that will do without touching the rear!
I've used both gtz's and gha's and rated neither, I'd save up for something decent or at that budget go Bilstein/eibach.

What would you consider decent?
Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 21:29
osm2121

Regular

Post #5
Is not for a 306, is for a 205. All I´ve seen of Bilstein is the B6 sport dampers. There is no B12 kit.
You think it would be better the B6 Bilsteins, with Eibach springs, than a set of coilovers?
Posted 20th Apr 2015 at 22:56
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Sorry missed that it was a 205!! Challenge spec Bilsteins for standard size spring are very good and better than the coilovers you mention. Talk to kam racing or Bilstein directly for coilovers as they'll do you a set, with Tarmac inserts or whatever you want really. Or you can use Compbrake bodies with Bilstein inserts, up to you really.

What do I consider decent.... At the cheaper end, Bilsteins, I liked the gaz gga's for the money, non adjustable monotube avos are ok. When budgets a bit more flexible, dynamics, ohlins, proflex, white power, reiger etc etc

Facebook
Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 08:13
osm2121

Regular

Post #7
What about KW Inox Variant-1 Coilovers? I cant spend more than £500, for what I´ve seen so far, Bilsteins + Eibach Pro Kit would be over that.
Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 13:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
save up more!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 13:11
osm2121

Regular

Post #9
Not an option! Im going to Germany next month, and thats the only chance I have to buy coilover/dampers, and bring them back with me. After I come back, I wont be able to buy them, cause shipping + taxes will double the price.
So, I need to find the best deal for a max £500. I like the idea of adjusting height and damping (roads of Uruguay are crap) to get it low and stiffer for track and higher and softer for road use.
I´d also need to sort out somehow the rear bars. Dont think i´ll find thicker bars here. And I asume 306 torsion bars and arb wont fit.
Yeap, I have to deal with this 3rd world country where you find nothing, and everything costs are ridiculous
Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 14:16
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
speak to kam racing, they do bilstein and eibach, prices recently came down on eibach.

I wouldn't go low regardless of track or road use, adjusting damping is also a little pointless without changing springs and torsion bars.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 15:29
osm2121

Regular

Post #11
I´ll try kam racing then, if they can do me a set of Bilsteins and Eibach, guess it would the best way to go considering your tips.
Thanks
Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 17:24
osm2121

Regular

Post #12
Got 1 last question, whats the difference between B6 and B8 Bilsteins? B6 says Rallye and B8 says Sprint, and that they are lower. There are no B8´s for 205, but since 306´s damper fit the 205, I con go for them! They are even cheaper than B6. Assuming that the B8´s are better.
Thanks
Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 18:37
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
there are rally dampers for the 205 with standard spring pan, these are higher damping than B6, inverted insert type damper units, rear ones are also much higher damping rated for larger torsion bars, however the rears are around £120 each.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 20:18
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Bilstein do both the inserts and coil over bodies now, gone are the days or finding something else thankfully, only odd ball is the spring dia over the normal 2 1/4" std fitment.
But the Group N stuff is well proven and for the money hard to beat, I would never sell Avo or Gaz as it's not worth the hassle, the Bilstein ones are by far the best seller

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 21st Apr 2015 at 22:06
osm2121

Regular

Post #15
So, guess i´ll go with Bilstein + Eibach. For track day use, which would be the combo?
I couldnt find a set, like B12 Pro-Kit or B12 Sportline, so i´ll have to buy separately.
that would leave me with:

Bilsteins B6 or B8
and
Eibach Pro-Kit or Sportline

I assume that the B6 goes with Pro-Kit and the B8 goes with the Sportline Kit, right? To match heights

There is no Sportline Kit for 205, but, the Pro-Kit part number for 205 GTI 1.9 is E7001-120. This is also the same number as the one for the 106 Rallye. So, I assume that the Sportline Kit for the 106 Rallye (E20-70-001-01-20), must also fit the 205.

I spent all day on both websites looking for information, and I just couldnt find it good enough info.
What is the most used kit for track day 205´s? B6´s + Pro-Kit Eibach´s?

Thanks guys, and sorry for asking this much, but I couldnt find clear enough info, and also im not an english native speaker, so gets even worst
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 01:50
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 06:13
osm2121

Regular

Post #17
Great!! Thank you very much folks for the help!!! Really appreciate it!
And..... LOL yep, one more question.
It doesnt say part number of the dampers there, and I dont think I'll find them in the Bilstein site by that name. Do you know the P/N of them to look for them in germany, I think it will be easier and cheaper to buy them there. Plus I dont know how the shipping works, if things come straight in, or stops at customs and need to pay taxes and that stuff.

Thanks again!
And I promise I won't keep asking things Big grin
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 11:32
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
All the part numbers are on the link buddy Wink

Facebook
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 12:57
osm2121

Regular

Post #19
Oh you're right Crazy. Sorry!
I looked at the lower part where says Model Part Number: N/A, and didnt look on the description of each damper.
Thanks mate!! Thumbs up
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 13:12
osm2121

Regular

Post #20
And... If I buy them at KamRacing, from Germany, will I have to pay any taxes because its another country? Or only the VAT thing, and nothing else?
Thanks!!
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 15:14
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Contact kam, he's a decent bloke! I believe you won't have to pay the vat if you're a resident of Germany, don't quote me on that though....

Facebook
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 18:08
osm2121

Regular

Post #22
Thanks mate! And as I promised, no more questions! Big grin
For now Whistle
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 18:10
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
As your in Germany I would guess it should be allot cheaper than here due to the € and shipping with Bilstein being based in Ennepetal

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 22nd Apr 2015 at 22:25
osm2121

Regular

Post #24
Yeap, I asked at a German store, and they are a bit cheaper, not that much actually. In Germany £455 vs £489 at Kamracing, + £20 shipping.
Thanks mates
Posted 23rd Apr 2015 at 16:57