displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: Megasquirt management.
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #1
Random question lads, anyone had any experience of megasquirt management? A mate of mine is into his mx5's and they seem quite popular with their community, just wondered if many people round here have had experience with them what the thoughts are etc..... Thumbs up

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 22:24
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Mate of mine runs one on his 106 gti turbo and all seems to run smooth with no problems

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 22:51
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Not heard anything good about them bud ? The few tuners I know of steer clear of megasquirt (difficult to work with aparantly) omex and dta seenu to be the norm although dta are no more. Tunners tend to favour the easiest and quickest to use as it saves the time but they can still charge the earth
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 22:54
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #4
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Mate of mine runs one on his 106 gti turbo and all seems to run smooth with no problems

Did he get a plug n play kit Chris or did he buy the kit and base map it his self then hit the rollers to finish the map?

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 22:55
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #5
bigbadbowen wrote:
Not heard anything good about them bud ? The few tuners I know of steer clear of megasquirt (difficult to work with aparantly) omex and dta seenu to be the norm although dta are no more. Tunners tend to favour the easiest and quickest to use as it saves the time but they can still charge the earth

There does seem to be really conflicting views out there....

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 22:56
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Not sure i can ask him and find out but pretty sure he bought it already fitted on the car but he hasnt had any issues with it in the 8month he has had it

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:03
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #7
eddy_gti6 wrote:
Not sure i can ask him and find out but pretty sure he bought it already fitted on the car but he hasnt had any issues with it in the 8month he has had it

If you could ask mate that'd be appreciated.... I'm liking the idea of being a bit different! Roll eyes

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:04
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
He will be out on the p**s probably now but al give him a ring tomorrow and get back to you. I did have a photo but deleted it now. Not that a photo would be of much use anyway Laugh my ass off

Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:06
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #9
eddy_gti6 wrote:
He will be out on the p**s probably now but al give him a ring tomorrow and get back to you. I did have a photo but deleted it now. Not that a photo would be of much use anyway Laugh my ass off

Yeah no rush matey, just a thought for the min, I'm just trying to gather together information first before making a decision! Thumbs up

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:08
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Dude talk to your local tuner and find out what they use / recommend as you don't want to have to travel miles to get the car mapped ? Generally it's not the ecu that turns out to be the issue but the pi55 poor alterations to the loom. You would be amazed by the crud I have seen / uncovered when trying to work out why things don't run correctly
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:15
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I would recommend omex like. Can get data logging onto your laptop and loads of other extra goodies where i think megasquirt is just a cheap basic ecu

Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:15
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #12
Both points taken.... Just fancy being a little different, plus I do have some knowledge of mapping these days with doing it on my engines at work..... The guy local to me uses Haltech iirc, he hates emerald and omex for some reason.....

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:29
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Bingo - each tuner has their favourite bud . As I said most will lean towards the easiest to use / setup or them ? At the end of the day they want to spend as little time as possible messing about fine tuning when they ca fob you off with good enough to empty your wallet
Posted 13th Mar 2015 at 23:35
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
Its fine if you're an electronic whizz kid, "being different" is not always good, there's likely a reason "everyone" uses something else.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Mar 2015 at 11:37
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
bigbadbowen wrote:
At the end of the day they want to spend as little time as possible messing about fine tuning when they ca fob you off with good enough to empty
your wallet

Total bo***cks I.m.e, maybe you've been to the wrong guys.

DTA closing down would not stop me using their ecu's, still a brilliant product and very very reliable.

If you consider the price of a built megasquirt vs an S40, then consider its resale value, you'd go S40 every time even without considering the reliability aspect and the much wider scope of mappers available to you.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Mar 2015 at 11:29
edhunter

Regular

Post #16
Here in Bulgaria, Megasquirt is very popular since its the cheapest option and there are few people that can make it properly. My car I runs megasquirt, but actually I am just the "user" and I dont have any experience (mapping/setting).

The guy who built the mega for me made it plug and play.. and it started from the first attempt. Of course it was not running very good and another guy for hour on the dyno made it much better Smile
Posted 17th Mar 2015 at 19:45
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Megasquirt hardware is very good considering the price. The software and firmware however.....
Its VERY basic and isn't favoured by any tuners i know of. Choose your tuner based on yours/other peoples experience and then have a chat with them as to what they use. They will have a preferred make they work best with and i bet 99% will say either Omex, emerald or DTA...theres a reason for that!
End of the day, it doesn't make a difference to you if your not mapping it. All that matters to you is that it starts and drives as you want it to and also, after care. You will get no after care with megasquirt. I had a coil driver fail with my Omex and they could not of been more helpful in helping diagnose and fix it.
Posted 17th Mar 2015 at 20:22
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Jeffers are you not close to rstuning??

Posted 17th Mar 2015 at 20:36
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #19
fatlapit wrote:
Jeffers are you not close to rstuning??

Yeah I'm in Leeds, my mate works at AET in Normanton though, and that's where I tend to go why??

Team Negative Camber!
Posted 17th Mar 2015 at 20:41
JWP EFi

Turbo Legend!

Post #20
I thought I would bring this debate upto date after quite a bit experience with it!
Back in the day MS was pretty much only available as a diy assemble kit (still is if you want to tackle it)
This along with very poor wiring skills/knowledge didn't do MS rep any favours
As with most things in life products do improve and in this instance they certainly have!
I have worked with most brands over the years, on Peugeots and all sorts of other cars and they all do the job, most mappers (or engine calibration experts) will favour one brand as they'll know the software very well and can maximise their profits throughout a working day, many times youll hear things like 'yeah that xx brand is s**t' and I think a lot of that comes from frustration from lack of knowledge. On one of my previous cars I had a set of 650cc injectors and on boost the car drove great but idle and low rpm were terrible! this car had an omex 600, as it could only run the injectors in paired batch mode the low pulse width control was far from good, I then switched upto the 710 variant and because it could use a cam sensor input allows full sequential fuelling, for anyone who doesn't know, batch injection means all 4 injectors fire at the same time, semi or paired batch fire means you can fire the injectors in sequence, batch means your spraying fuel onto cylinders that aren't on the induction stroke which causes very rich mixtures at low rpm and load, more sophisticated ecus allow you to run timed sequential so you can accurately dial in the injection phase
I had been intrigued by the Megasquirt systems for years so seeing as I like to see why or why not somethings good/bad I gave it a try, I bought the assembled MS2 V3 ecu which was originally intended for bikes, jet skis etc meaning its very compact, reading through the data sheets it pretty much offered everything that the well known basic ecus offer. I wired it in and set about mapping it, straight away I was amazed at its low pulse width injector control! I ran about with this for a good few k miles and I thought it would then be an idea to jump to the MS3 variant, over 850 options in the software and most things can be repurposed to control whatever you can think of, I bought the semi assembled V3.57 board and built he rest to suit what I was doing, my engine was fairly basic in terms of spec but I ran timed sequential fuelling and obviously full sequential ignition using the stock coils, on board SD data card logging blah blah blah, again this thing blew me away, I had no issues with it but the shonky printer cable loom connector just annoyed me, didn't cause any problems but just one of those things that bugged me!
My latest on is the MS3 pro fully assembled unit with proper Ampseal connectors, spec wise it does the same thing as the previous MS3 I built but in a much nicer package, im only using a fraction of its capability, pressure transducers on my fuel press regulator, radiator and crankcase pressure, its amazing what you can see when looking over a datalog and it allows you to setup safety features in case of lets say an undesirable situation, in my case the cyl head lifting, I also have an AFR safety system where it cuts ignition if it sees a lean mixture
Then theres the software, all I can say is wow!! from what ive worked with over the years I now prefer the MS systems hands down, more and more mappers are happy to use it now, software is so easy to navigate and manipulate, downside is now that their rep is improving the price has gone up a fair bit, the one I currently run retails at £1300 but tbh im happy with that, the 'basic' MS2 version is £320 and pretty much rates alongside the omex 600 so at some point you have to ask yourself what really is the most cost effective solution to go with.
Ive fitted several of these to customers cars now and not had any issues, in July this year I will be a uk dealer for them too so if anyone wants more info then ping me a message, I can supply a base map for pretty much any setup and any ecu that comes from me will be pre configured for your setup and you have the option of a complete new wiring harness which makes it plug and play

So there you have an upto date opinion from some extensive testing
Cheers, seb
Posted 17th May 2020 at 21:57
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Fantastic read Seb Thumbs up
Posted 17th May 2020 at 22:48