displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Brake fluid vs handbrake
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #1
right..my handbrake/brake fluid level sign came on last night..

I've checked the fluid level in this morning and its quite low..(definitely was ok last week as I'm checking them regularly).. both hand break cable have been changed on the day before yesterday so I really think they've done something wrong or they just forgot to top it up or the worst if its leaking now somewhere..

I'll definietly going back with it to the garage I just want to be prepared so someone please give me advice.. am I wrong if I say the low level of the brake fluid because the handbreak has been replaced??
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 09:14
rikky 🦔

Post #2
just top it up and see what happens..

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 09:44
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
No handbrake cable has nothing to do with the fluid level. What does the pedal feel like? Is it soft and pushes all the way to the floor or if you pump it does the pedal go hard?

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 09:44
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I think the Light comes on when the pads are very low, when the Pistons are right out thus more fluid has left the reservoir

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 09:59
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Happy Birthday Buzz

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 10:03
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #6
its all done now..

just had a look underneath the car and saw a quite bad brake fluid leak at the rear offside.. I know handbrake cable has nothing to do to that but was okay for sure before they changed it so went back to the garage told them whats going on and they straight away jump on it.. they showed me it was leaking where is the copper pipe connecting to the calippers..they say someone haven't done it properly in the past so had no proper seal over there (and when they replaced the handbrake cable probably did touch that pipe so its moved a bit..

true or not I have no idea (I think I believe them) but they changed the copper for a new also topped up the brake fluid and bleeded it..for free.. hurray! Smile
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 13:12
daver6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
So they caught it, it didn't leak straight away and then you caught them out ? Haha that's my pessimistic view of the world

Red Rallye - Rolling "restoration"

Wishbone Polybushes available
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 17:13
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
fractured the hard pipe while chisling out the handbrake cables Wink

thats why they did it for free!
Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 19:15
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #9
Fair comment for them for getting on and doing it rather than trying to argue the case.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 27th Feb 2015 at 19:17
    Bobeek

Junior User

Post #10
    regardless what happened they were quite fair..they could've said it wasn't their fault but I couldn't have complained at all..they've done it and I'm happy with it.. Smile
    Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 19:27
    cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    happy customer will be a returning customer Wink
    Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 19:37