displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Xenon kit..
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #1
so..as the title says Xenon kit.. I'm thinking to install one but I'd like to ask You guys first.. I know it is not legal and I know I can change it back before I take it to the next MOT but can I actually suffer any trouble between mots?? (I mean: is the police will stop me??)

I came from a different country and over there the xenon is not legal neither (unlees you've put a projector headlamp its automatically balanced and has a washer - thx) but to be honest no-one care..you just need to put back the halogen lamps for the MOT..
Posted 20th Feb 2015 at 22:59
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I've had them in many cars over here no problem Smile

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 20th Feb 2015 at 23:26
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #3
Given the huge lack of traffic police on the road these days, its unlikely you'll get any grief.

At worst, I think they worst they can give you is a fine for 'failure to maintain obligatory lighting' (which is what I got when using some blue tinted bulbs in my old XR3i)...

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 20th Feb 2015 at 23:33
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #4
so basically the same situation..you shouldn't do that but technically you can..
cheers guys! Thumbs up
Posted 21st Feb 2015 at 12:06
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You also shouldn't because they scatter glare into everyone else's eyes and make it difficult for them to see, which is why they are illegal.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 07:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
yep, the only way they work as a retrofit is if the vehicles ever had them as a factory option.

or the rare occasion where projector units were used, like apparently an E34, morette have done Impreza units and used projectors, so id imagine if you had morette lamps and found those units youll be fine.

coaches might be a good source for the lamps

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 08:51
rikky 🦔

Post #7
they will glare like mad and look anything like a standard fatory fit. the headlights are entirely the wrong design of units unless you use some with projectors like the morettes. the beam pattern is all over the place and you'll just blind everyone

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 10:53
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
rikky wrote:
they will glare like mad and look anything like a standard fatory fit. the headlights are entirely the wrong design of units unless you use some with projectors like the morettes. the beam pattern is all over the place and you'll just blind everyone

This. Plus I've seen a few people with non valeo headlights start melting the lenses.
Also, don't be a tosser and think "oh i can see really well with them and bo***cks to everyone else". That really p**ses me off with people who fit HIDs in cars that aren't designed for them. Its just selfish.
Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 11:08
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #9
I have Some Purple HiD's they don't blind but I have been pulled for them,..
not worth the hastle to be honest i just run standard,..
i did look at fitting the projector part of a 406 into the lense of a 306 but gave up on the idea in the end!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 12:48
rikky 🦔

Post #10
even the 406 ones aren't 100% because they're halogen projectors rather than xenon projectors, but they'd be infinitely better than standad non projector headlights. i've toyed with trying genuine xenons in my e36 m3 as they use an ellipsoid euro hid projector which the beam pattern is straight like the e46 xenon ones but just can't be arsed doing it at the moment

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 22nd Feb 2015 at 13:08
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 23rd Feb 2015 at 12:17