displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Engine won't start problem.
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I thought i had relief from the car, i was wrong,
the first time caught me in another city on saturday ( almost all business is closed in this day in Israel)
the starter spins but that's it, i've checked the shunt box & found one burned fuse, after replacing it, it was normal.

later this evening i had to take my father to hospital, the car agreed to start only after several attempts,
i went back in the middle of night, but now for the first time in 8 years it was total, i had to take texi.

day after i returned to the hospital parking with some tools, worked for 2 hours and couldn't found the cause.
checked wires, fuses, fuses holders all was functioning, finally i had an idea to check the 2 relay,
i forgot the test procedure for relay, so i switched one with another and the engine started immediately,

cool ! i thought
i finally found the solution, drove home and day after i had starting problem again,

going through the wiring few times, i new i was missing something, it should be simple :
when you start the engine 3 events happening at the same time:
1)an electric circle is closed and current flow to feed the starter motor.
2)a fuel is pumped to the injection system.
3) the ignition system should produce sparks.

i knew that only the last demand didn't meet, but why ?
i was working on the car in the street when some older guy with IDF uniform came to change a wheel in a car next to me,
and we start talking, he listened & immediately answered :"there another element that you missed checking, if the crank position sensor fail to work the engine won't start", he left and i tried the fist idea that come in my mind and knock on it,
that did the trick and the engine fired.

the trick lasted for 2 day than i probably destroyed the sensor for good,
went to my garage and borrowed new sensor, replacing the sensor should be very simple job,
but everything went wrong at that catastrophic weekend

French military victories?
Did you mean French military defeats?
Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 15:04
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If they break then yeah it won't go at all. Fairly easy to fix though and very common part on loads of psa cars

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 22:30
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #3
http://youtu.be/J---aiyznGQ

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 22:40
    oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
    The CPS is mounted by small allan bolt, i tried 4mm it was too small,
    moved to 5mm, too big.
    one neighbour stopped to watch, and told me about a method to take out stubborn bolt he picked once
    by knocking on the circumference of the head with a chisel.
    this guy also decided the the bolt head is hexagonal instead of the round type,
    and wanted to use socket to get it out,
    later i found out that he's cross-eyed in both eyes, i tried that method, striking with a hammer and a screwdriver the bolt head, forgetting crucial fact that the sensor is attached to weak and fragile aluminum
    cast, and that i'm getting more and more angry, i just wanted to replace the bloody old sensor, than i broke the bracket ear, the sensor was off finally but not in the way i planned.

Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 05:41
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
    What car do you have?

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 08:00
    adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    Very good welding or new gearbox time....

Nothing to see here
    Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 08:11
    oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #7

dangti6 wrote:
    What car do you have?

Reflex and zx16v with blown engine.

Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 08:40
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
    thats a TU engine with MA box, the bracket for the CPS/TDC sensor is a separate bolted on part.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 09:33
    oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    welshpug! wrote:
    thats a TU engine with MA box, the bracket for the CPS/TDC sensor is a separate bolted on part.

At that time i thought that there is no bracket and that the broken ear is a piece of the engine block.
    if i had browse service box or autodata i could have known that, and looking at the photo i uploaded
    you can see that it broke in a smooth line that follow the edge of the block it's bolted on.
    i think that when i left the car for clutch replace, the mechanic bolted on refitting only one bolt of that bracket that mislead me too.

so after the first shock, i thought that i could maybe weld that broken ear with aluminum electrode in a stick welder
    and hold it in my hand trying to match it to where it's was broken
    when it slipped from my hand and fall down through that dark space right into to the clutch.
    that was the second shock, and a blow to the ego there is always first time i thought, and i really wanted for once to dismantle and refit a gearbox.

but at first i tried to dig it, i could hold it in one finger but in the third attempt to make things even worse it slipped and fall down deeper than before.

i gave up and prepare myself mentally for dismantling the gearbox alone.
    at morning of the day after i took the battery, ECU and all the bracket below when my neighbor (other one, and with private garage of vintage cars collection that he restored after work) came to check how i was doing, i've told him and he went to his garage and returned with welding stick and a small thin flashlight for digging the ear.

after few minutes of failed attempts i decided to return to plan B for the gear removal,
    when my eye and mind finally caught what i should have noticed at the first time,
    it was the one head bolt of the broken bracket (attached to the block) that raised my curiosity
    i noticed also the other hole thread with missing bolt when i finally understood it's a separate part from the block.

removing the remainder of the broken bracket revealed more space i could work my finger and with the help of the flashlight i succeeded in digging that ear.

searching for used or new bracket turned out to be exhausting, a friend that promised it to me for free, changed his mind, new one cost way too much, and the fat scrapyard dealer that i found it there wanted ridiculous amount of money for it, that i didn't even try bargain with him, it was mistake, two days later i returned there for bargain and he told me that if i named my price back than he would sell it to me, but he thrown that bracket after i left.

Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 18:22
    oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
    adam b wrote:
    Very good welding or new gearbox time....

I realized that this is the only option i left with, but welding aluminum cast alloy is much more difficult than regular aluminum,
    the cast is porosive and sucked into it oil too, contain other metal with lower melting temperature like tin
    that start to boil when the aluminum is only melted, making high gas pressure in the weld pool and bubbles,
    my stick welder is ac only and not suitable for this job.

Posted 17th Feb 2015 at 06:07
    oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    Welding cast aluminum with a pro & his magnificent Fronius MagicWave 3000 did the trick.

Posted 17th Feb 2015 at 15:25