displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Main beams stuck on, and won't switch off :/
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #1
Chaps,

My 6 has developed a rather odd fault. The main beams have got stuck on, but I didn't switch them on! I only noticed as I saw headlights outside my house last night where it was parked, but they weren't on when I drove the car home earlier in the evening. Removing the fuses for both main beams only switched the passenger side one off. I've unplugged the main beams in the lights themselves to stop the battery draining for now, but it's far from ideal.

Could the stalk be at fault, or is there something else worth checking first? (FWIW, I had to strip the stalk down last year to fix the common indicator relay fault).

Typical it had to happen on Friday the 13th (just my luck!)

Thanks in advance Smile

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 14th Feb 2015 at 16:43
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #2
GTi6-PJL wrote:
Chaps,

My 6 has developed a rather odd fault. The main beams have got stuck on, but I didn't switch them on! I only noticed as I saw headlights outside my house last night where it was parked, but they weren't on when I drove the car home earlier in the evening. Removing the fuses for both main beams only switched the passenger side one off. I've unplugged the main beams in the lights themselves to stop the battery draining for now, but it's far from ideal.

Could the stalk be at fault, or is there something else worth checking first? (FWIW, I had to strip the stalk down last year to fix the common indicator relay fault).

Typical it had to happen on Friday the 13th (just my luck!)

Thanks in advance Smile

there is no relay for the beams in the 306's so all the load going through on the stalk... I would check that one first..
Posted 14th Feb 2015 at 17:19
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #3
Thanks for that nugget Bobeek, though my handbook says there are fuses for both main beams in the engine bay fuse box! I wouldn't be surprised at all if the handbook is wrong though.

Stripped the stalk back down, cleaned it out as best I could but sadly it's still saying the main beams are on. I'll order a replacement from 306gtiparts on eBay and go from there. If that doesn't cure it then a gallon of petrol and a Swan Vesta should do the trick!

Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 16:53
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
check the relays, also check what wattage bulbs you have.

I'd buy a NEW stalk not an used one tbh.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 17:08
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #5
Welshpug - which relays should I be checking? I'm probably being a bit dense (cars aren't my forte sadly - chuck an IT system at me and I'll have it sussed quickly enough!) but I can't for the life of me find out what relays control what, despite checking the FAQ's on here and my handbook, as well as Googling.

I've managed to source a NOS stalk on eBay for £38 (decent saving over Car Parts 4 Less' price and not much more than a used one).

I'm hoping it's something simple / stupid!

Thanks for the advice so far though - much appreciated from all Smile

Posted 15th Feb 2015 at 18:32
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #6
GTi6-PJL wrote:
Thanks for that nugget Bobeek, though my handbook says there are fuses for both main beams in the engine bay fuse box! I wouldn't be surprised at all if the handbook is wrong though.

Stripped the stalk back down, cleaned it out as best I could but sadly it's still saying the main beams are on. I'll order a replacement from 306gtiparts on eBay and go from there. If that doesn't cure it then a gallon of petrol and a Swan Vesta should do the trick!

obviously they are fused and you can find them where is the handbook says..but no relays..

any chance to borrow a working stalk from someone before buying a new?

welshpug! wrote:
check the relays, also check what wattage bulbs you have.

I'd buy a NEW stalk not an used one tbh.

I'm quite sure there is no relay in the beam circuit..
Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 19:38
luke306rallye

Regular

Post #7
My side lights are always on in the off position, I don't let it bother me anymore.
Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 20:59
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #8
D'oh! My apologies for mis-reading your post Bobeek - Christ knows why I read relay as fuse - lack of sleep is probably to blame! You're absolutely right - having perused an Autodata diagram there doesn't appear to be a relay on the circuit.

Sadly I don't have the option to try another stalk (had this happened a month ago I would have - typical!), but I'm not overly fussed about spending the money on a new unit.

French electrics - you can't beat them!

Posted 16th Feb 2015 at 22:44
Bobeek

Junior User

Post #9
GTi6-PJL wrote:
D'oh! My apologies for mis-reading your post Bobeek - Christ knows why I read relay as fuse - lack of sleep is probably to blame! You're absolutely right - having perused an Autodata diagram there doesn't appear to be a relay on the circuit.

Sadly I don't have the option to try another stalk (had this happened a month ago I would have - typical!), but I'm not overly fussed about spending the money on a new unit.

French electrics - you can't beat them!

no problem! very common issue when the indicators working funny - after many many years inside the stalk small metal bits cracking off and stuck in the grease so making falsh contacts..this is the only thing I can imagine with your beam stalk..try to clean it again maybe its help..also check the connector of the stalk..
Posted 17th Feb 2015 at 20:39
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #10
Update - new stalk arrived yesterday, so fitted it. Sadly the problem still persists (cleaning the plug contacts hasn't helped), so I'm getting an auto electrician friend to have a look. Hoping it's nothing too major but I'm prepared for the worst.

Posted 19th Feb 2015 at 09:58
rikky 🦔

Post #11
i did a faq on stalk cleaning. mine's still working after 2 years since cleaning it up

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 19th Feb 2015 at 10:11
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #12
Rikky - you did indeed, and it was that guide I followed last year when my indicator relay kept going off. Everything was fine until Friday the 13th!

Posted 19th Feb 2015 at 12:34
rikky 🦔

Post #13
the lord hates you and wishes death upon your stalk

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 19th Feb 2015 at 12:39
Puggitt

Regular

Post #14
Is the high beam indicator on in the cluster? Otherwise I'd suggest a 'jump short' voltage from something else is shorting onto your high beam pin somewhere.

I'll never take my car to an auto sparky, death before auto electrician!! Friend of mine took his 6 to an auto sparky was charged NZD$380 to tell him they couldn't find the issue, took me 15 minutes and a few spare parts to fix (I do have 2 and a half spare 6's though...)
Posted 19th Feb 2015 at 17:53
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #15
Puggitt- yep, indicator is on in the clusters well as the lights being on.

In hindsight, I should have bought my mate's one for parts, but pug_306 bought it as sadly I didn't have the space to store it as a spares / project car).

Posted 20th Feb 2015 at 13:32
Puggitt

Regular

Post #16
GTi6-PJL wrote:
Puggitt- yep, indicator is on in the clusters well as the lights being on.

In hindsight, I should have bought my mate's one for parts, but pug_306 bought it as sadly I didn't have the space to store it as a spares / project car).

Did the stalk click/feel like it's meant to when engaging the high beams? Sounds like the stalk, but didn't you replace with a known working one?

Just to be clear, it is a twin optics setup?
Posted 20th Feb 2015 at 17:34
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #17
Yep, stalk was replaced with a brand new unit, and it is a twin optics setup. Both stalks click when the main beams are switched on.

Earlier today the engine temperature gauge went up the creek as well - wasn't reading at all, then started to work intermittently.

Posted 20th Feb 2015 at 20:11
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #18
Issue has finally been resolved. Turns out the wiring loom at the front of the engine bay had a small split in the protector, and there were some broken wires in there as well as water (I knew it had had a small bump on the front when I bought it, but I couldn't see any loom damage when I bought it). Managed to remove the water and solder some new wire into the loom, et voila - the issues have gone away, with the added bonus of the rev counter working as well. I'm going to source a second hand engine bay loom as a spare should the worst happen, but I'm glad it was something relatively minor to sort.

Posted 21st Feb 2015 at 11:28
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Defo swap the loom bud! If it's damaged it'd fleck it off but keep it for spare plugs
Posted 28th Feb 2015 at 20:16