displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: 'Stonechipping' AC Pipes?
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
Came across this product in the thread regarding painting the spoilers

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-rust-removal-treatment/hammerite-stonechip-shield-black-600ml#tab3

My plan was to liberally apply grease to my AC Pipes to halt/slow down corrosion, but having seen this product, i am think i should have really just have sprayed them with this before installing. I guess i could try to spray them in situ.

Or is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?

Ta

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 14:34
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Depends how clean they are. If they are rusty already, covering it them with paint won't do much.

I would undo the brackets then you can move the pipes about. Clean them up, degrease and either apply spray zinc primer like Bilt Hamber Electrox (you don't have to get every speck of rust off as the zinc will neutralise corrosion as long as the metal is relatively clean). Or you could simply spray them in situ with an anti corrosion wax such as Bilt Hamber Dynax UC. This will keep water and salt off the pipes.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 16:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
ac pipes don't rust, seeing as they're alloy.

hammers**te is horrible stuff, better off IMO getting them powdercoated.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 16:58
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #4
mik wrote:
Depends how clean they are. If they are rusty already, covering it them with paint won't do much.

I would undo the brackets then you can move the pipes about. Clean them up, degrease and either apply spray zinc primer like Bilt Hamber Electrox (you don't have to get every speck of rust off as the zinc will neutralise corrosion as long as the metal is relatively clean). Or you could simply spray them in situ with an anti corrosion wax such as Bilt Hamber Dynax UC. This will keep water and salt off the pipes.

Cheers they were new and have been on the car 4 months and a few hundred miles so should be in good condition. I haven't checked for a few months!

When i got the car i was told that the reason why most of the 6's don't have AC is corrosion of those pipes. I don't plan on selling my car so thought treating them with Dynax sound like an idea.

But thanks for those suggestions, we've got a flue at work that's corroding (looks like the wrong bolts used or something like that) so could use some of the Bilt Hamber stuff to clean up and fix ourselves.

welshpug! wrote:

They're on the car now - in hindsight that would have be the choice of champions Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 17:02
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
welshpug! wrote:

I should have gone to specsavers, I was thinking of the power steering pipes across the front of the car that on my Rallye looked as though they had been pinched from the Titanic.

Agreed, Hammerite isn't great.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 17:07
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #6
Was it the fact that the OE brackets were some metal which reacted with the alloy AC pipes and caused them to corrode?

Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 17:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
I don't think so as they had a rubber liner, I think its just bare alloy that corrodes eventually, they are nearing 15 years old for the newest.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 17:15
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #8
welshpug! wrote:
I don't think so as they had a rubber liner, I think its just bare alloy that corrodes eventually, they are nearing 15 years old for the newest.

That's true...i'm guessing i#ll have other bits of my car to worry about than the AC Pipes LOL

But will give them a splash of some BH product at some point. No harm. Unless i manage to spray myself in the face with it, and then that might actually be an improvement Big grin

Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 17:18
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Would lacquering not do the same job? Just thinking it would make them looker nicer too where visible.

Oddly I can't recall seeing any with the metal parts corroded to make them leak, it always seems to be either holes in the rubber sections where they've perished or damage caused to the metal pipes.

Ryan
Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 17:45
luke89

Regular

Post #10
I reckon plastidip would be good for this mate.
Posted 2nd Feb 2015 at 18:26