displaying posts 1 to 25 of 41

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Change Front Tyres or all 4
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
I have remarkably survived driving to work on the Fate O(my god is this gonna turn) tyres on the front of my 6. With Michelin Primacy's on the back

The issue is the tyres on there are 205 / 50 / 16s and but i'm guessing the tyres i should have is 205 / 45 / 16.

Questions is, do i change all 4? Or just the front 2?

And am i right in saying PS3's are the choice of champions around here for the 6?

Ta

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 21:32
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Looking at the weather up norf I'd get some winter rubber ? Dunlop winter sports are very good
Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 21:59
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Ideally you'd have all four the same.

My counter question is: do you want acceptable handling at a sensible price or optimum handling at a higher one?

PS3s are very highly rated both on here and by just about everyone. I have never tried them personally.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 22:01
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Costco or wait for cash back deals on all 4

Nothing to see here
Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 23:18
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #5
bigbadbowen wrote:
Looking at the weather up norf I'd get some winter rubber ? Dunlop winter sports are very good

With the forecast for this week i'll need ice tyres! But we do get some nice days up here Smile

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 23:31
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #6
RetroPug wrote:
Ideally you'd have all four the same.

My counter question is: do you want acceptable handling at a sensible price or optimum handling at a higher one?

PS3s are very highly rated both on here and by just about everyone. I have never tried them personally.

Optimum handling ideally in both in wet and dry.

Tyres are something i'd never skimp on. Especially when you cost the difference per mile. Only part of the car etc....

Been there and wrote a car off when i was 18 on cheapy tyres! It was a £500 1.1 Fiesta admittedly. But still a nasty under steer situation on a corner i knew very well.

Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 23:35
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #7
adam b wrote:
Costco or wait for cash back deals on all 4

Thanks for the reminder of Costco! Been so long since i've had a choice of tyres and looked for Michelins i forgot about them.

PS3's are the way to go in your opinion?

Posted 26th Jan 2015 at 23:37
luke89

Regular

Post #8
Ive got a set of Continental Premium Contacts on mine and they seem pretty damn good.
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 00:13
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #9
luke89 wrote:
Ive got a set of Continental Premium Contacts on mine and they seem pretty damn good.

Was this the tyre that Evo chose? (need to dig out my copy from the bathroom!)

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 00:24
luke89

Regular

Post #10
Not a clue mate, my car had 3 of them fitted when I bought it and one crappy no make tyre where one of the contis had been damaged, the difference was unbelievable and whenever I turned right and put the weight on the front left tyre it used to understeer horribly, I have since fitted another matching conti on that corner and its made a world of difference.
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 01:01
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
the sport contact 5 are working well on my bmw, its an old e34 525 touring auto, and I haven't had michelin on it so hard to compare, but pe2's on my zx are very good, a friend did a trackday on llandow in the wet recently in a 175 bhp 205 running ps3's and we had a right laugh, LOTS of wet grip, very impressed.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 08:38
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #12
welshpug! wrote:
the sport contact 5 are working well on my bmw, its an old e34 525 touring auto, and I haven't had michelin on it so hard to compare, but pe2's on my zx are very good, a friend did a trackday on llandow in the wet recently in a 175 bhp 205 running ps3's and we had a right laugh, LOTS of wet grip, very impressed.

Cheers WP, can't car the sport contacts in 16s unfortunately. Gets very good reviews.

Wet grip is essential up here Smile so good to hear.

Ta

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 08:50
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #13
aye I'm on big old 235 45 17 Big grin

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 10:55
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #14
welshpug! wrote:

LOL

That ain't big Wink

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 11:46
calibra306

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Got 4 speedlines turini 17in alloys (flowformed extremely light) with ps3 on ;-)
Do you a deal as offering split payments

V6 Power!

Faster I can go the better!

Its not what you drive, its how you drive that wins the race!
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 11:57
calibra306

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
You can go online and do a tyre size calculator.
You put in original wheel and tyre size and then what you want and it will give you a rolling radius and tell you the percentage your speedo will be out.
For 17s they should be 205/40/17

V6 Power!

Faster I can go the better!

Its not what you drive, its how you drive that wins the race!
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:02
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Uniroyal Rainsport 3s are very, very cheap and are a midrange option. The main advantage of them is that their wet grip is absolutely superb.
I've been running a set for 8k or so and for everyday driving they're great. There are assuredly better tyres out there if you spend more though.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:02
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #18
I'm running the Dunlop Sport BluResponse on the front of mine, with Pirelli P6000's on the rear (both 195-55-15). The P6000's were fine last year, however having had a couple of hairy moments this winter with the back end stepping out I'll soon be replacing them and putting the fronts on the back (they've only done about 3,000 miles so they're nicely bedded in).

The Dunlops have good front grip, and good feel. My only complaint is they look like they're under inflated even when they're pumped to 35psi (I think XL rated ones might help in this regard). On the whole though, I can't complain.

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:37
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #19
RetroPug wrote:
Uniroyal Rainsport 3s are very, very cheap and are a midrange option. The main advantage of them is that their wet grip is absolutely superb.
I've been running a set for 8k or so and for everyday driving they're great. There are assuredly better tyres out there if you spend more though.

Cheers Luke. If i was on a budget i'd go for them. But i'll splash out on the PS3s

Ta

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:27
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #20
GTi6-PJL wrote:
I'm running the Dunlop Soprt BluResponse on the front of mine, with Pirelli P6000's on the rear (both 195-55-15). The P6000's were fine last year, however having had a couple of hairy moments this winter with the back end stepping out I'll soon be replacing them and putting the fronts on the back (they've only done about 3,000 miles so they're nicely bedded in).

The Dunlops have good front grip, and good feel. My only complaint is they look like they're under inflated even when they're pumped to 35psi (I think XL rated ones might help in this regard). On the whole though, I can't complain.

Yeah they're reviewed very highly. But don't come in 205 45 16 Thumbs down

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:24
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #21
calibra306 wrote:
Got 4 speedlines turini 17in alloys (flowformed extremely light) with ps3 on ;-)
Do you a deal as offering split payments

I have looked at those wheels and tyres several times....but as much as they are a bargain with the tyres, for once i'm going to be have to pass. But Ta for the heads up Thumbs up

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:26
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #22
In that case, I'd go for PS3's. I only went for the Dunlops as I couldn't get the PS3 in the OE size, and I didn't want to faff about with having an inaccurate speedo. I'm considering acquiring a set of 16" Team Dynamics 1.2's in the future and the PS3 will probably be my tyre of choice.

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 13:41
luke89

Regular

Post #23
Good shout for the rainsports. Had a set on my mx5 for a while and they were sublime. As grippy as my T1Rs in the dry but twice as good in the wet.
Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:51
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #24
GTi6-PJL wrote:
In that case, I'd go fro PS3's. I only went for the Dunlops as I couldn't get the PS3 in the OE size, and I didn't want to faff about with having an inaccurate speedo. I'm considering acquiring a set of 16" Team Dynamics 1.2's in the future and the PS3 will probably be my tyre of choice.

Cheers that's good to know Thumbs up

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 12:54
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #25
MisterGTR wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

LOL

That ain't big Wink

it is when you're used to 195 50's, car came with 255 40 17, fook replacing those!

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 27th Jan 2015 at 13:08

Pages (2): [1] 2