Author Subject: RetroPug's new daily
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
pug_306 wrote:
There was a recall on the glow plug relays on some of these,

Yes I read about that.

mechanical_repairs wrote:

Glow plugs are located at the back of the engine, there will be a large relay located in the bay somewhere, it will be easier to test them from here rather than trying to get to the plugs, a diagnostic test will tell you if a glow plug is down.

The plugs are not used to start the car believe it or no they are they to get the exhaust temps up to do a particle filter regen etc.

The rough running on start up will be air in the fuel lines, the air filter bobbins break and the vibrations on the filter box put a small hole in the diesel pipes located underneath and cause this issue, the pipe work is about £120 to buy.

Any questions ask away, I see these engines in various cars everyday. Also if you do go to change the glow plugs be careful as they snap and once that's happened it's a head off job.

Carl

Thank you Carl.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading around on forums etc. and have never seen the diesel pipes issue mentioned anywhere. Is it really necessary to buy the pipework or can a section of this be replaced? I take it that I'd then have to prime the fuel system to get it started again?

Are we talking pinholes that'd be very difficult to spot or could I see it if I took the airbox off and had a peek over the weekend?

The rough running feels like running on 3 and as soon as there's some heat in it it goes away. Also, it doesn't occur if revved, it is just rough idle with smelly white smoke out the exhaust.

A cheap code reader didn't show up a glowplug fault.

Finally, did you still want to sell that bottle of plasticare you had? LOL

Thanks for your help so far, really appreciate it.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 21st Oct 2015 at 22:39
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Bump. Flushing through brake fluid will require opening the bleed nipple for the clutch as well, correct? This is on top of the gearbox under the airbox somewhere?

Posted 26th Oct 2015 at 18:21
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Fixed that issue pretty soon after posting last time, it was just the EGR valve sticking a little bit when cold.

For once I got out of work at a good time with plenty of evening left today, and as I was still waiting for 306b bits I treated these to new bulbs, and a wash, clay bar & wax.

20,000miles done and the total repair bill so far is 3.95 plus servicing and the odd bulb here and there when they've blown.

Posted 26th May 2016 at 21:43
arigti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Decent Daily to be honest! Sporty, economical and cheap! Good choice Thumbs up

I Live for the 306 Ninja

TEAM CHERRY PINK RALLYE
2008 BMW ///M 320d
Posted 27th May 2016 at 12:29
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Great work m8 Thumbs up

I've got a 306 dirty derv I bought 6 years ago for £450 1.9 no turbo & it just keeps going & passes the mot LOL
Posted 27th May 2016 at 13:34
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Thanks.

I keep thinking of remapping and some other mods but everytime I consider dropping cash on this I remind myself I bought it to be economical and that I would rather spend money on the 306.

Plus if I moved closer to work I might get a more unsensible daily.

This is an absolutely fantastic car so far though! I've looked at upgrading a few times lately and every time I realise I'll just be spending more to get something probably less reliable and definitely more expensive to run etc.

Posted 28th May 2016 at 19:11

Pages (2): 1 [2]