displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Heat shield stud problem.
luke89

Regular

Post #1
I have several jobs that I am preparing to do on the car and a few of them require the exhaust heat shield(under car not manifold) removing. I have tried to remove one of the nuts and its snapped the stud as I anticipated. I'd like to keep the heat shield as I want the car to remain completely standard but I anticipate every one of these studs is going to snap. Am I going to have to buy a tap and dye set and drill some holes into the chassis or is there another way of reattaching it?

Cheers.
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 15:31
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #2
I've not used mine yet, because i bought it AFTER i had drilled out the remnants of my bolt. But you could try and easy out set. Only a couple of quid.

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 16:18
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
What are you going to easy out? They are threaded studs! You could use riv nuts
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 16:20
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I just used some short drill screws and sat it 5mm further back to just miss the old bolt.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 16:21
luke89

Regular

Post #5
I did think about using some screws but I'm worried about introducing rust to the chassis.
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 16:23
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #6
pugheaven wrote:
What are you going to easy out? They are threaded studs! You could use riv nuts

Doh! Misread the OP. Ignore me.

I have rivnuts which i'm planning on using for a few jobs.

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 16:37
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Is this the backbox heatshield or the centre?

Mine are snapped on the centre but I can just about get new nuts on the ends of the thread.
One day I'll tackle them properly.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 18:53
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I got some of them off by soaking in penetrant and wiggling them back and forth, a little more each time, then more release fluid, more wiggling over a period of days, resisting the temptation to simply wind it off as soon as it starts to move. For the ones that were not responding at all to that treatment, I had them cut off and new ones welded to the stub. They were then sprayed with zinc primer, and waxed.

You also need these washers between the shield and the body - I had some and wondered what they were for, and looked them up on service box. I need to put them on as my heat shield has started rattling.

Riv nuts would also work well, don't use screws as they will not be very secure.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Jan 2015 at 20:01