displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: How to secure bolt (non 6)
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
Okay just to prove it's not just the 6 i can break.

A few months back i bought gas struts for the bonnet of the fat datsun. Trying to make it more like the 6 Wink

Fitting is pretty easy but i managed to shear the bolt head off when tightening the metal bit that attaches to the wing and the bottom of the gas strut attaches to.

I got a tap and die set and tried to remove to the left over bolt but that didn't work eventually just drilled it out.

But now when i go to put a new bolt in it's not holding. The hole is slightly too big.

I can't get access to the back due to the way the wing is designed or that would be easy to put a nut on the back.

What i need is a sort of rawl plug or like when i used to do server stuff cage nuts.

I'll take a photo later if any requires.

i thought i'd post here because i'm sure lots of you guys have to improvise way of securing bolts and bits. And im probably not aware of or thinking laterally for a simple solution.

Thanks

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 13:03
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Nord-Lock X-series washers

French military victories?
Did you mean French military defeats?
Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 13:41
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Could you not drill and tap it the next size up?
Or would a nutsert be any use?
Pictures may help.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 14:00
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #4
I don't trust myself tapping the next size up to be honest. But also not sure it would work.

Here's a photo. You can see only half the the thread is left.

I'm guessing I need to figure out access from below. Just loathe to be pulling bits off it as its not so cheap to get bits for and I wouldn't want to bodge anything on it.

MisterGTR has attached the following image:

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 14:18
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #5
Just googled nutsert. That's a cool idea. Not sure it's worth it for me and this one off use. But ta for introducing me to that.

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 14:30
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
It's not something that i would do but you could potentially use some sort of cut down spring fixing available from a diy store. All depends how tight it needs to be held in place i would have thought, might not be sufficient but would save you having to get access from below. I would tap that hole up to the next size if it's possible Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 15:10
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #7
Thanks. Let me go ask on the fat datsun forum how easy it is to access from below.

Because the other side of the thread has broken off, I'm not sure tapping up a size will help. But ta for the reply.

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 15:14
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #8
Okay thank you to Prism7Guy for introducing me to rivnuts/nutserts.

I think I will get this and some 6 mm rivnuts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSIONAL-4mm-8mm-THREADED-RIVET-NUT-NUTSERT-RIVNUT-INSERT-SETTING-TOOL-NEW-/360463087894

Anyone recommend anything better?

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 16:30
jon boy

Regular

Post #9
Have a look at helicoils. You can get cheap kits on eBay and they work very well.
Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 16:52
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
sorry, i didn't understand what you need, how deep is that hole you drilled out ?

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 17:00
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #11
jon boy wrote:
Have a look at helicoils. You can get cheap kits on eBay and they work very well.

Cheers. There's only half the thread left this time. But that looks pretty cool and something i'm sure i will need in the future! And at least i know about it now!! Smile Ta

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 17:01
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #12
oldbrownshoe wrote:
sorry, i didn't understand what you need, how deep is that hole you drilled out ?

The hole was already there with a bolt in it which didn't seem to do much. I then removed that bolt and fitted the bracket to attach the gas strut bonnet opener. While tightening the original bolt the head sheared off. I used the original bolt rather than the supplied because it had a flange and was black. That was the mistake!
I tried to remove the left over bit with a tap and die set but it wouldn't budge. So i drilled out the left over bit of the bolt. That seems to have sheared off half the 'nut' part which is welded or part of the bodywork

So i think what i will do is get rivnuts and drill off the remains off the thread shown in the photo. And fit in the original positin And also in drill a 2nd hole and put in a rivnut as there are two fixing holes in the bracket i need to attach to the wingside of engine bay.

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 17:11
oldbrownshoe

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
If you got enough hole depth, i had great success with Bearfix self tapping, you don't need even tap-die set
http://www.baercoil.com/en/products_bf_inserts.html

made in Germany ,very cheap and very easy to use, only the making of the countersink took little time,
after it "grab" the metal it a park walking, much better then helicoil.

other type is the speedsert
http://www.groov-pin.com/speedserts.html
and the Groov-pin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIUE_hj6DY

Posted 11th Jan 2015 at 17:26