displaying posts 1 to 25 of 43

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Can't even change wheels!!
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #1
So today is dry. I think lets get the wheels changed over at last and see how it looks.

So i get all the new (well they're new to me) wheels out (oz ultraleggeras) and the bolts and new locking nuts. Copperslip everything. For once i think i'll be prepared so as i don't have to get copperslip over all my tools as i copperslip as i go along. Y

Get the old wheels off and go to put new wheels on

And just as is the way with everything with me and this car, the bolts are too long!

I call up performance alloys and they say that is what Oz would supply with their fitting kit for the 306gti!

So i check again. And of course it starts p**sing it down. And then i manage the bash my head on corner of garage Smile

So with the Cyclones the length of thread presented to the hub is 18mm (i.e the bit visible from the other side of the wheel) but with the Oz wheels it's 23mm.

So i call up PerformanceAlloys again and they said they can order up bolts 5mm shorter but they haven't sold those bolts in M12 1.25 for ages.

I'm guessing a big part of it is that the Oz bolts are tapered and the Cyclone bolts are flat washer.

Think i'll try and get to a motorfactors before it gets too late and see what they have in stock. But i thought i'd ask here before i go off buying stuff that won't fit.

To cap it off i bought MacGards which will be too long too now! But that's what the Halfords system said. Karma kicked me in the arse for then buying off ebay because they were 13quid cheaper.

Imagine me trying to fit an intercooler or supercharger! Nevermind my planned worth on the suspension and steering rack! I'm betting have 16mm ball joints when what i've got coming is 18mm or vice versa Big grin

So can somebody please confirm that i'm not going mad or doing something stupid and that 18mm presented is correct and with a taper bolt i'm wanting somthing like 19/20 mm thread M12 x 1.25

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 14:41
luke89

Regular

Post #2
Don't have any tech advise on this sorry mate,I'm sure the bolts on my cyclones are tapered though?Does that make mine wrong?

As my Dad once told me, loving cars will only end in scuffed knuckles and heart ache.
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 14:47
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #3
Luke almost as much trouble as women Smile

Maybe I don't have cyclones!!

MisterGTR has attached the following image:

Turned 40 and in true cliched fashion buying one of the cars of my teenage dreams!
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 14:53
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #4
mate i have superleggera's with 26mm spacers,..

my rears bolts are Tapered M12 1.25 at 40mm thread,..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280863371185?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I only know that one because I lost one and had to order a spare LOL
The fronts are very slightly shorter I believe

if you need me to measure my front let me know,..
what offset are your wheel's size spacers etc?

when I measured mine up I used a wheel bolt from my Lions (which were way too short for the superleggeras)
held it all in place and used a piece of wire to measure how far into the back of the hub it disappeared then added that measurement onto the length of the thread for the bolt which let me know what length thread I needed

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:00
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #5
Luke - Here's the original wheel nut

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:09
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #6
gnrlee wrote:
mate i have superleggera's with 26mm spacers,..

my rears bolts are Tapered M12 1.25 at 40mm thread,..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280863371185?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i only know that one because I lost one and had to order a spare LOL
The fronts are very slightly shorter I believe

Cheers but my wheels are et16 so no spacers required.

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 14:55
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #7
This is how much thread is presented to hub With oz wheels about 23 mm with the Pug wheels it's about 18mm. What threw me was the fact that PA said they'd not sold that length ie 5 mm shorter for ages.

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 14:59
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #8
how much thread sticks though the back of the hub?

take that away from the thread length and theres your answer of the thead size you need Thumbs up

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:01
rikky 🦔

Post #9
luke89 wrote:
Don't have any tech advise on this sorry mate,I'm sure the bolts on my cyclones are tapered though?Does that make mine wrong?

As my Dad once told me, loving cars will only end in scuffed knuckles and heart ache.

yes, they should be flat faced like the photo above

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:05
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #10
gnrlee wrote:
how much thread sticks though the back of the hub?

take that away from the thread length and theres your answer of the thead size you need Thumbs up

Cheers. Logic tells me to take 5mm off. But if you know me, even that's never that simple. Thread length I have is 27mm so I should get 22mm. However I thought I'd check first! Just in case!!

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:05
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #11
So i went to check if McGard sold a locking bolt with 22mm thread (they call it shank) length and they do, however it's in 17mm hex size
http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/automotive-2/wheel-locks/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=1182&name=chrome-bolt-style-cone-seat-wheel-lock-set-m12-x-1-25-thread-size-set-of-4-locks-and-1-key&Itemid=0&category_pathway=0

which means having to get a 17mm plastic wheel remover thingy too (to avoid damaging the wheels).

In the words of Coldplay "nobody said it would easy"

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:14
alcon

Senior User

Post #12
MisterGTR wrote:

Does this mean you now have 16 bolts spare from your old cyclones....lying around, taking up space etc?? Whistle

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:25
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #13
Okay where is the best place to order the wheels bolts from? As i'll need to get 17mm hex bolts in M12 x 1.25 with 22mm thread/shank?

A minor upside of this debacle/comedy show is that i've realised i'll need to carry different bolts, sockets and 1/2 wrench in the car in case i have a puncture.

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:28
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #14
BTW - i apologise for using this site as some sort of therapy. I seem to getting cranky in my old age! Big grin

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:29
luke89

Regular

Post #15
Well bugger me sideways I have the wrong bolts on! This sh"*(ng car!
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:35
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #16
alcon wrote:
MisterGTR wrote:

Does this mean you now have 16 bolts spare from your old cyclones....lying around, taking up space etc?? Whistle

Sorry - My plan is to use the cyclones as track wheels (if i ever get the car to the track!) Smile

Also because i will have to drive up to Knockhill and back in the 6, I'll use the 16s for road, and then if i kill the tyres on the cyclones at least i can get home! And 15" tyres are cheaper so ideal for me to learn how to drive with! Big grin

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:37
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #17
luke89 wrote:
Well bugger me sideways I have the wrong bolts on! This sh"*(ng car!

There's about 15 years between us, but i swear you're my twin!! LOL (i have to laugh because otherwise i'd just give up!) Big grin

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:38
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #18
I'd just shop for them on Ebay,..
Wink buy them from a motor Factor trader then you shouldn't be buying Cheese!

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:42
luke89

Regular

Post #19
You can fit some 195/50/15 rubber on super cheap if you're using the car on track too,it'll change the final ratio ever so slightly but will improve handing a little as you'll have less side wall.

And tell me about it mate, every time you post a thread up something else goes wrong with my bloody car.
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:43
rikky 🦔

Post #20
if you want to sell it.... Whistle

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:44
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #21
gnrlee wrote:
I'd just shop for them on Ebay,..
Wink buy them from a motor Factor trader then you shouldn't be buying Cheese!

Ta

BTW - i only just read your edit to you first post. Thanks fot the offer. Very generous. But i should be sorted now. But lets wait and see.......this weekend....hopefully...... LOL

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:45
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #22
luke89 wrote:
You can fit some 195/50/15 rubber on super cheap if you're using the car on track too,it'll change the final ratio ever so slightly but will improve handing a little as you'll have less side wall.

And tell me about it mate, every time you post a thread up something else goes wrong with my bloody car.

Ta for the tyre advice Thumbs up

I can only apologise for the coming months when i actually start tackling medium difficultly stuff! LOL If you're ever up in Glasgow i'll get you a beer or 10 to make up for it Big grin

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:48
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #23
rikky wrote:
if you want to sell it.... Whistle

I probably should....i'm probably doing more damage that good to this car LOL:

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:49
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Are the studs that are too long, ones that are used with o z wheels with spacers?
Where as yours don't have spacers??
Or are the holes in the same places on the wheels regardless of spaced or not and just part that fits up to the hub is longer.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 15:57
MisterGTR

Senior User

Post #25
buzzbrightyear wrote:
Are the studs that are too long, ones that are used with o z wheels with spacers?
Where as yours don't have spacers??

Yeah the thread length is 5mm too long, but according to PA if you were to order new Oz Ultraleggeras in ET16 this is the kit you'd get (along with spigots). I gave them the details of my wheels before i ordered the fitting kit.

Just hunting on ebay for the right nuts (no doubt i'll end up with a mixture of 19mm wheel bolts and 17mm locking bolt) and came across this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEEL-FITTING-ALIGNMENT-TOOL-M12-X-1-25-12MM-THREAD-LUG-NUT-BOLT-2E-/360511699922?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item53f02bfbd2

I'll add it to the list of things i didn't know that existed prior to buying the 6. I won't be buying as they'll no doubt damage the wheels (or i would using them.) Everyday is definitely a school day with this car! Big grin

Posted 6th Jan 2015 at 16:00

Pages (2): [1] 2