displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Fitting a GTi-6 twin fan to a Rallye......whats to know??
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #1
Guys,

Had a bit of a search on here and it didnt throw up much, other than vague mentions of a bitron unit which i dont think Rallye has, so whats to know?

Kerry threw in a twin fan set up from a 6 with the Rallye. Ill be having the bumper off soon to replace the grill section that sits between the fog blanks with a NOS one so thought id do the fan units while im there.

So to fit them, into a Rallye, and get them working, whats to know and what do i need to do? Ideally, i dont want to be messing about with extra switches etc....

Thanks

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 4th Jan 2015 at 21:33
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #2
Suppose it depends on whether you want to have them working EXACTLY like the Gti i.e. 1 first, then both or if you want them both on together....

TT
Posted 4th Jan 2015 at 22:55
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #3
On a Rallye you just need to remove the ballast from the fan cowling and fit the second fan. All the necessary electrics should be in place already. The ballast is used in lieu of the second fan so that slow speed operation works.

The fan controller commonly referred to as the bitron unit on the AC cars is only needed due to the extra control the AC system needs over the fans.

Tarmac terror wrote:
Suppose it depends on whether you want to have them working EXACTLY like the Gti i.e. 1 first, then both or if you want them both on together....

All the twin fan model 306s are supposed to have the fans working at the same speed. They should work together either both at high speed or both at low speed.

If you have a twin fan setup on a 306 where both fans don't spin together then something is wrong.

Rich
Posted 4th Jan 2015 at 23:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
not that simple rich, single fan wiring is far simpler than twin fan, only one relay and a thermoswitch, twin fan setups are three relay systems.

easiest way to get twin fans on a rallye is a non ac turbodiesel twin fan cowling and thermoswitch.

or fit an oil cooler.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Jan 2015 at 23:47
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
You don't live in the Sahara, you don't need it.

Seriously why are you doing it? I'm using a single rallye fan on my track car and only had the same on my old rallye. 75k miles with no problems altogether, especially overheating

Nothing to see here
Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 00:08
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Only had single on my v6 too. It needed an oil cooler though (and WP routing the coolant hoses correctly lol) Smile

Nothing to see here
Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 00:10
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #7
welshpug! wrote:
not that simple rich, single fan wiring is far simpler than twin fan, only one relay and a thermoswitch, twin fan setups are three relay systems.

easiest way to get twin fans on a rallye is a non ac turbodiesel twin fan cowling and thermoswitch.

or fit an oil cooler.

The Rallye uses the twin fan setup with one fan removed, not the simple single fan setup.

It has the full twin fan cowling, relays and wiring. Fit the second fan and you have a working twin fan setup.

Rich
Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 00:30
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
no yiu wont, the wiring is totalky different.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 06:38
alcon

Senior User

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
no yiu wont, the wiring is totalky different.

I agree with this. When I recently got the fan working in my Rallye, I had to source a brand new wiring harness to sort out the bodged electrics. The new one had five plugs on it and only one was there to plug into the single fan. If it was the same as the twin fan set-up on the GTi6 then it would have two fan plugs.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 15:03
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #10
adam b wrote:
You don't live in the Sahara, you don't need it.

Seriously why are you doing it? I'm using a single rallye fan on my track car and only had the same on my old rallye. 75k miles with no problems altogether, especially overheating

Why not? These engines get hot in traffic. More you can do to keep them cool the better. Plus, I've got the parts. Didnt cost me a thing. That's why.

So, do we have an idea on what i need to do yet?!

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 19:09
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
nope, they don't get "hot" they get to a specified temp then the fans bring it back down.

running too cold is not good.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 19:13
alcon

Senior User

Post #12
Since I got mine working the way it should, as it came out the factory, I've had no problems with overheating. It heats up to the specified temp, the fan comes on and keeps it cool enough until I get moving again. One fan is all they need (provided it's working correctly)

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 5th Jan 2015 at 20:13