displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: high fuel consumption
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #1
Think my 6 is a bit on the thirsty side. I used to get 400 miles to a tank give or take with combined driving. Lately though she seems to be giving me around 320 is and the exhaust smells rich. Got no faults in the ecu and she runs and idles fine etc. I would say it seems a little down on power in the low end department also. I'm thinking of just going to a garage to get a smoke check done any thoughts? I was thinking maybe a dodgy lambda reading perhaps? I bought the car start of Oct and I was told it had recently had plugs and oil but no sure on fuel.filter change. I'm currently running a standard airbox and standard filter. Exhaust is standard manifold, a racing cat and then a full Jetex system from there. Any input welcome

Dave
Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 15:11
barrym

Senior User

Post #2
MPG will go down as winter draws in. You sure it's not just the engine spending more time cold?

What sort of driving do you do? Mine is all 35 mile trips,yet consumption is still up approx 10%.

TBH yours sounds just like mine, although I'm now getting 360-380 a tank as opposed to 400-420 before.

I may possibly have a fault though. Not starting on the button any more. Takes 2-3 seconds to fire up now whereas before it would start upon first crank, even though the weather was colder before?

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 15:39
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #3
Yea Barry the 2 sec.crank sounds familiar. I mainly do dual carriage way driving with a bit of round the town. Maybe 320 is a little short maybe it's more 350-360? I will find out in a week as I'm on half tank now
Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 15:55
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
have you recently fitted a decat?
my mpg got better with the CAT fitted
Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 16:23
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #5
No mate got a sports cat on there and have done since I've owned it. Thought I had a slight exhaust leak which would account for it but when I got under the car I couldn't feel one but there was a note coming from what sounded like above the cat? I knocked the engine off and gave the cat a knock to see if the honeycomb had Started to break up inside but sounded solid to me
Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 16:27