displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Compression tester results
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #1
What is considered good or bad in the pressure differences? Today I measured the in laws' Berlingo 1.8 petrol (XU7JP) from cambelt end to gearbox end (is that cylinders 1-4 or 4-1?) as:
15.5 13.8 14.2 14.5

Haynes suggests that a difference of more than two bar indicates a fault. The compression tester instructions suggest that anything more than 1 bar is a fault. Who wins?

If you see anything of note in those readings, speak up.
Posted 25th Dec 2014 at 18:38
craig903

Regular

Post #2
Well generally french like to label their cyclinders backwards. gearbox end would be cyclinder 1. I would go with 2bar as per the hynes manual. try blowing out around the sparkplug hole with a compressor. You may have had s**t there stopping the compression tester from sealing properly.

208 GTI Owner
Turbo'd '6 project - work in progress
Posted 25th Dec 2014 at 19:54
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
It's not that bad tbh

Nothing to see here
Posted 25th Dec 2014 at 20:25
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #4
The test was run on a warm engine so I must admit I could have made sure the tester was a little tighter I think: I was getting slightly burned by the cylinder head as it was. LOL

I also forgot to put some oil through the hole and do a wet test; this might have been illuminating. I may try to do that in the coming days.
Posted 25th Dec 2014 at 20:51