displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Oil in air filter housing???
DanRM

Regular

Post #1
About 1.5k miles or so I changed the oil and filters on my 6, it's roughly 6 weeks on and I noticed it started tapping loudly a couple of days ago. Yesterday I had a look around and the dipstick was bone dry, nothing so some how I've lost a lot of oil with no major signs of leaks nor smoking. Filled it back up slowly last night to just above minimum on the stick and this solved the tapping and engine sounds smooth again. However this morning I came down to find a load of white oil under the air filter, the rest of the engine is spotless except the filter housing. I quickly popped the snorkel off and looked down and the filter it's sat in about 1/4" of clean oil. Got to work and took the breather pipes to the throttle body off and they were clear just a little bit ran out like normal, so took the intake pipe to the body of too and there was the normal little puddle in the bottom, but when I opened the throttle up it just poured out from behind. Any ideas what it's from? Rest of the engine seems fine in general other than the occasional splutter I posted a thread about the other day, which after seeing this may be the answer to that problem.

And come to think about it the filter housing was very messy on the out side when I last changed the air filter but put this down to General s**t from the road, looks exactly the same at the moment but its clear oil underneath that the s**t is sticking to, but there wasn't oil in the housing itself like this time
Cheers
Posted 19th Dec 2014 at 09:12
DanRM

Regular

Post #2
Just an update on this, I had the filter out over my lunch and cleaned it up a bit and this is how much oil I'm talking about

The filler cap doesn't seem to be pressurising when I put my hand over it when running, I can feel a constant pulse. When I got home tonight I swapped the breather pipe over from my other 6. What exactly is in the black plastic circle on the pipe? Also when I pulled the pipe off after 2 hours of standing it p**sed out oil again
Posted 19th Dec 2014 at 19:46
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
sounds like you have a blocked breather somewhere.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 19th Dec 2014 at 19:49
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Compression and leakdown test it

Nothing to see here
Posted 19th Dec 2014 at 19:50
DanRM

Regular

Post #5
Right, I've taken the 2 breather pipes off for now. The right one was all gunked up with white crap. So I've cleaned that out and swapped the regulator thing off the other pipe. At the moment it seems ok but I'll have to wait and see. Any ideas what would make the breathers gunk up do bad in less than 3k? As I had them of and changed them out when I had the head off a few months back
Posted 21st Dec 2014 at 11:56
luke89

Regular

Post #6
White gunk is usually a sign of Head gasket failure.
Posted 23rd Dec 2014 at 00:11