displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Timing belt kits 136/137???
Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #1
Right guys I'm looking to do a Cambelt/water pump change on my 6. My mate who works at my local motor factors said there are two types (which I knew from reading various posts on here) and he couldn't tell me from looking on his system which one he should supply me with. Now this isn't a problem as I can just take both kits and return whatever I don't use. My question however, is can you use either the 136 tooth kit or the 137 tooth kit as you please? Or does one engine variant have to use a certain one? Is there even an engine variant? I don't think there is? I know from trawling throu old posts that people have had issues with belts coming untensioned due to tensioner bolt lengths and wrong thickness tensioner s etc so I'm really wanting to get this right. Is it best to strip mine down and see what type of tensioner is already fitted and change like for like? Or are the 137 kits better than the 136 kits or vice versa???? Another question would be should i be using gates, dayco????

Any advice would be much appreciated

Dave
Posted 14th Dec 2014 at 05:13
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #2
136 kits are supposidly better due to the metal tensioner whereas the later revised kits (137) use a plastic tensioner.

You can use either. The 137t kit requires a stud to hold the plastic tensioner. An exhaust manifold stud does the job.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 14th Dec 2014 at 08:15
    welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
    dangti6 wrote:
    136 kits are supposidly better due to the metal tensioner whereas the later revised kits (137) use a plastic tensioner.

You can use either. The 137t kit requires a stud to hold the plastic tensioner. An exhaust manifold stud does the job.

where did you read that? LOL

136 uses a screw column and a short m8 screw, 137 uses a longer m8 bolt.

not an exhaust stud Unsure

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Dec 2014 at 08:34
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #4
    Thread here: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=140027

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 14th Dec 2014 at 09:03
    Mossy1985

Senior User

Post #5
    I don't like the idea of plastic tensioner so I'm thinking the 136 Is the way forward. Thanks guys, WP would you have the bolt length and pitch measurements to hand???

Dave
    Posted 14th Dec 2014 at 09:31