displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: ABS light on after strut change.
luke89

Regular

Post #1
So after my suspension over haul the ABS light has come on. My initial thoughts are that I've ruined the sensor as I did accidentally smash the ceramic cover around it with a hammer, or potentially the cable being under some tension has given me a loose connection?

My final thought is that it could be that my front wheel has turned without the rear wheels so it thinks the ABS sensor is broken?I've seen it happen on rolling roads before.

Any advice would be great cheers.
Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 16:49
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Was the sensor itself disturbed at all? If so, check the sensor gap. I'd check the wiring too, if it has been stretched or loose connection. I had a mystery ABS light issue with an old Audi quattro years ago and it turned out a couple of the sensor teeth had been dented with a hammer when changing the shocks. Once filed back to shape all was OK. Also check if there is any stuff getting in the way of the sensor, or any gunk on the sensor ring.

If it is the front wheel/rear wheel thing, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would reset things and might sort it? Or maybe just taking it for a drive? Or getting the fault code cleared?

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 17:04
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #3
Have you driven the car yet? If it's just the system picking up different speed readings from different wheels then it will turn off by its self once driven above 10km/h.

Rich
Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 18:53
luke89

Regular

Post #4
I have driven it so I can rule that out then.I did knock the sensor so how do I go about adjusting the gap?Might be worth a try before replacing parts.cheers!
Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 19:43
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I'd test each sensor on ohms to see which one is the problem first Thumbs up
Posted 6th Dec 2014 at 20:01
luke89

Regular

Post #6
I've only changed the suspension on the drivers side front so far so it can only be that.Off out to look at it in this gale!
Posted 7th Dec 2014 at 12:07
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I'd still do an ohms check on it first if you get no reading it's f**ked
Posted 7th Dec 2014 at 13:30
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
luke89 wrote:
I've only changed the suspension on the drivers side front so far so it can only be that.Off out to look at it in this gale!

I'd just check all four, strange things happen with electronics and gives you a basis for comparison against the wonky one(s).

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 7th Dec 2014 at 18:32
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
have you tryed resetting it with PP2000
mine flagged a fault after messing with the sensors it would only clear after a reset with the diag software
Posted 7th Dec 2014 at 21:47