displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Benchmark for gti6 performance
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi gents

Still loving my 6 but she's an old girl(160k miles) and I'm wondering what a good benchmark is for a healthy 6's performance. Now mine is well maintained but is quite noisy (it had a richw head rebuild)

In the folder of receipts when I bought it was a load of graphs from what looks like a before and after remap (174.4bhp at fly, 144 at wheels) it's what I think is a standard lump, has a richw crank pulley, k&n, magnex exhaust and that's about it (it's stripped out, buckets etc) - I'm also trying to work out if I should remove the recently fitted decat, it feels stronger and sounds awesome so struggling to work out what real impact it's had....

Anyway, recent trackday showed it to be absolutely bumper to bumper with a phase 2 172 clio (I mean utterly identical performance) I think that's probably about right but what do you think? (I'm used to turbo cars so very hard to gauge)
Posted 15th Nov 2014 at 23:48
pete-gti

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Sounds healthy and normal for standard gti6 , what are you after more power?
Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 11:47
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
With the decat i had i noticed a big drop in mid range torque but more top end go compared to a genuine cat being fitted.
Worth it on a track car but not really for a daily unless you love pops and bangs, all imo of course. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 12:18
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I'd love more power as the car feels it could easily handle it but needs fundamental work done underneath first (rust prevention) etc

It is a track car so I'm going down the weight loss route first and the decat does seem to 'suit it' but I'm really struggling without a rolling road to figure out whether it's actually made any difference

Next up will certainly be track tyres, do these engines struggle with oil starvation under high load cornering at all?
Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 23:00