displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: Moonstone GTi6 Snapper Astor organ doner
reese

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all,

Here is my Moonstone GTi6 which I bought as spares/repairs due it having snapped the belt making a mess of itself. Having previously had an Astor GTi6 which some ***** decided to pull out on and write off I had a good base for a spare engine. I had not too long ago done the cam belt, tensioners and water pump on it as well so it was ready and raring to go. Handily both cars had done around 55k miles so were perfect for each other!

The gearbox in the Astor was whining in second gear and a stiff bugger when cold, the gearbox in the Moonstone I was assured was sound so the job ahead involved getting both engines complete with gearboxes out of the cars, separating them and getting the good engine and good gearbox mated to each other and dropped into the Moonstone.

First job involved was to pull the Astor straight in order to access the engine bay.

Then the stripping began! LOL

Until it was just a bare shell and ready to be taken off to the scrappers!

Found a crate laying around at the top of my road, would highly recommend one for anyone doing an engine swap as they are so handy to lay along the feet of the crane to sit the engine on to move about with!

Next job was to remove the engine and gearbox from the Moonstone.....

Both gearboxes off.

Good engine and good gearbox ready in position. (Ignore the single lifting rope and its position that was to lift that side up to allow for easier attachment of the gearbox)

The rain came but that didn't stop play!

In!

Turned the car around so that it could be pushed nose into the garage to be worked on with shelter from rain and also some light!

Decided to fit my scorpion exhaust. Here's a comparison against stock.

Fitted Love

And here she is now, turned first turn of the key. Here's a quick vid whilst bleeding the coolant system Smile

Next steps are getting some insurance, an MOT and take her out on track! Superman
Posted 15th Nov 2014 at 23:12
99rallye

Regular

Post #2
Hi Reese, it would be great to get an update on this after watching some of your YouTube vids!?
Posted 19th Jun 2019 at 09:40
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Agreed, i love a good project thread to work my way through Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 19th Jun 2019 at 16:32