displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Fuel pump not running properly
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
My track car has recently started playing up, when i turn to the ignition on the key i used to be able to hear the fuel pump priming for a few seconds then turning off. Now it only runs for half a second or so regardless of how many times i turn the key off then back to ignition.
The car will start after the minimal priming then die on idle, at which point i can then head the pump prime for a bit longer, if i turn the key to off then back to ignition the pump will usually then prime for several seconds then start and idle fine.

Is it likely to be an issue with the pump or the relay or something completely different?

Cheers. Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 13th Nov 2014 at 15:37
rikky 🦔

Post #2
sounds like the relay or the pump, i'd hazard a guess at that unit on the back of the battery box. my pump doesn't prime all the time - i thought there was an issue with it but discovered that only when you disconnect the battery and go live again it'll prime for the first time, then sometimes it doesn't. don't know why, something to do with that relay i believe

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 13th Nov 2014 at 15:44
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
If i was you, take up the cap on top of the pump and have a proper listen whilst someone primes it. My pump gave up shortly after fitting my new engine and i noticed it getting quieter and quieter until it then became a lumpy noise rather than smooth. Don't know how it would of completely died as i replaced it for a Walbro before it was mapped again.
Posted 16th Nov 2014 at 22:21
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #4
I have a spare OEM pump in GWO if you need it...

TT
Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 18:50
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Thanks for the info guys, i'll have a proper look at it this weekend. I think i have a spare relay in my parts box that i will give a try first off.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 17th Nov 2014 at 19:54