displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Earthing/misfire Help
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I am hoping someone can assist in advising me on how best to diagnose and solve a misfire issue I have.

It seemed to start after my battery was disconnected for the night and susequently replaced the next day with a new one. When I first connected the old charged battery in the morning I noticed the car idling a little lumpy and upon revving the engine there was a hesitation and misfire. It is worse when the throttle gets pressed down more (say 40-50%), yet I can get about feathering the throttle and giving it more than 2.5K revs and get it away without too much hassle.

The car has recently had a new alternator a few weeks back (before the battery was changed). I have not yet been able to get under the bonnet and really fiddle, but I am not really sure the best way to zone in on the issue affecting my car and would appreciate anyone who can advise on the most logical way of finding the cause. I am fairly handy with the spanners, it is just my knowledge of these issues is limited. I am planning on changing the starter motor on the weekend along with trying to get to the bottom of this issue. I have a DVM, I am just not sure what to test and what I'm looking for in locating the issue.

It seems like more than a coil pack, as my previous experience of these going is they go and no longer work? I am planning on cleaning the earth on the gearbox, but am not sure of other points to check. Another thing is it does seem better in the wet, not perfect, but much more driveable, not having the issue anything like as much.

Its driveable and when I'm not in traffic and driving normally isn't too bad, but I do need to get it sorted, as I have just spent £1200 on parts for the car and it was just about finished (as far as mechanically is concerned). I should really have expected something like this having owned it for 8 years, but I had thought was there. I am gutted as everything else is sweet.

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give. Thumbs up

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Team: 'EVO Triangle'
This is a quantum car. I don't know where I am, but I'm going really fast.
PS3 ID: Skaankypuppy
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 18:28
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I have found this as a starter

Testing Sensors

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 18:29
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Could be ECU Temp sensor or fuel pump relay at fault ?

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 18:45
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
pug_306 wrote:
Could be ECU Temp sensor or fuel pump relay at fault ?

I am not sure, but it has been taking a couple more turns to fire lately, I'm not sure if that's relevant? Doesn't seem to be affected that much with temp though.

It is interesting you say that about the fuel pump relay. When Roland Rat and I fitted the engine to her last year there was an almost similar problem, but the dials would go mental and it was totally undriveable and sometimes cut out and would not start again, rather than misfire. When that happened it seemed to be affected when I moved the Fuel pump relay (that's the black bitron jobbie next to the fuel cut off isn't it?). When I removed the loom that came with the engine and put my old one back on, I noticed the gearbox earth wasn't connected, which may have been the actual cause in that case, meaning I do have a loom to try in my parents garage, I had forgotten that. That will be a fairly straightforward job when I'm doing the starter.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 19:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
hey Matt, sorry I hadn't got round to replying.

some of your symptoms sound like shot battery terminals or power/earth connections somewhere, especially given it started when you disturbed them fitting a new battery.

as you know there is an earth to the transmission, this goes up to the battery and also to the chassis leg just in front of the battery tray under a 10mm bolt.

once those are sorted see how it goes and if you get no luck there then start with testing the sensors as per the FAQ, of you you know anyone get it on PP2000 which would give you live readings on the screen, saves a lot of time.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 19:16
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
No worries Welshpug. I am glad you are here now. Thumbs up I will give those two things a try, as it did seem to happen when I removed the +ve terminal.

One thing though, I have one of those terrible screw on terminals, which does have a crack down the piece that goes on the +ve terminal, which may be pertinent? I've never been happy with that terminal. When the issue arose it was only the +ve terminal that had been removed though, but I had to ram the charger and extension in there a bit to close the bonnet, which would have defo disturbed those earths thinking about it!

Up to now I have been beaten by the weather and light, I am hoping this sunday I can have a crack.

Regarding the PP2000, I do not know anyone with one. Do you know of anyone at all? I know these sort of things are great for diagnosing issues.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 19:26
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I'll investigate all the earths you suggested this weekend and fingers crossed I can get to the bottom of it.

The thing that makes it more frustrating is that I have done so much to it lately and was adament that the parts list below were the last and it would be sweet for some time. How wrong I was LOL

New battery
New Alternater
Cambelt + Pulleys + Water pump
Aux belt
Fuel hoses
Rebuilt Brake master Cylinder
New calipers +Carriers F+R
Pads + Discs all round
Braided hoses
New wishbones bushes etc
4 New tyres
Handbrake cables
phew!

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 19:54
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
I would get some fresh clamp type terminals on there personally, about £3 each from a motorfactor iirc.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 19:48
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
welshpug! wrote:
I would get some fresh clamp type terminals on there personally, about £3 each from a motorfactor iirc.

I'm sure I actually have one at least. I bought it when Ash and I fitted the engine, as at the time we did not have the screw bit for the +ve terminal, so I shot to Halfords to get one. We never fitted it as we managed to get one of the terminal caps in the end. I'd love to get a new set of clamps and cables on there to be honest.

Is it just a case of cutting the old and clamping the new on? For some reason I thought changing them was a no no and it was a new loom jobbie?

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 20:00
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
yeah very straightforward to change, cut off the old terminal, strip back the insulation carefully with a sharp knife and push it through into the clamp, making sure you get it all the way through.

they aren't part of the loom btw.

the last one I had to change was an earth terminal on a phase1, the bolt was pulling the clamp right up and it was still loose, and the cable had nearly corroded and broken off totally.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 20:06
bezza90

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
welshpug! wrote:
yeah very straightforward to change, cut off the old terminal, strip back the insulation carefully with a sharp knife and push it through into the clamp, making sure you get it all the way through.

they aren't part of the loom btw.

the last one I had to change was an earth terminal on a phase1, the bolt was pulling the clamp right up and it was still loose, and the cable had nearly corroded and broken off totally.

Tidy. I will get them changed, as I have come so far with the car now, its the little things like that which make the difference. Long term I want to keep it for a track toy, as it is not worth much now.

Can you do welding or know anyone who does Mei? I need two bits welded in front of the rear arches each side at some point before my next MOT in Sept.

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6
Normally play GT6
Posted 5th Nov 2014 at 20:13