displaying posts 1 to 25 of 30

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: 306 Track Project
lj_6

Regular

Post #1
Evening everyone,
well I thought about now was the time to start a progress thread, seeing as I am now back into a 306 (you really can't get away from them)
I originally joined the forum when I was using my mums old moonstone '6, I moved off from this a few years ago to which my brother is now using.
I used to love the old 306, used to give off a lot of smiles!

This is what I'm currently driving, astra Nurburgring edition #365, something I always wanted.
One cheeky picture to show is when you fully catch a modding bug,

After a big turbo failure, I ended up fully rebuilding the engine and installing a Garret gtx2867r - should be mapped in the not too distant future for just under 400bhp.

Anyways enough of that!
Earlier in the year me my brother and my dad, decided it would be a good idea to get a track car, something to have some fun in since a few of the family friends also do it. It would be a decent laugh.
We managed to get a 206 gti already stripped, with wietec full suspension, seats etc ready to track , wack on some r888's it's been a good summer using the car, suprising that a car with just an air filter could go so well.
Few pictures from our last track day at Coombe:

But it just needed that extra bit of power out of the corners. We did toy with the idea for some throttle bodies, or planting a '6 lump in as the car was pretty spot on.

We ended up buying a full track prepped '6 on ebay, many of you seen it too I think.
(one thing I will say is the previous owner helped us a lot after buying it)

The original pictures:

When the car was picked up and bought home it looked pretty spot on, it needed a decent polish, and some new fuel tubing and it should have been on it's way.
Unfortunately things don't always go that easy.
When we jacked the car up to get an idea of the brakes, they were non existant, which wasn't a problem, but it led to more and more problems.

Something which could pretty much only be seen after having a poke around in the bottom, we uncovered a lot of rust.
I'll let the pictures do the talking:

The rust was pretty much set in entirely. The sill was rotten with a gaping hole in, also the box section has a hole in, there were many holes etc, but what caught the biggest part of it was when I removed the carpets and poked by the roll cage:

Entire side was rotten meaning any form of pressure it would have gone straight through the floor pan.

After weighing up the time/cost of cleaning the body work back and getting it plated and painted. We realised it was just too much work. And that it wasn't worth it.
It looked the best option to get a decent shell, and swap everything over we could. And make a decent track car and one we could say we built up.
This is where the real hastle began, I didn't want to get a road going '6 as fair enough they arent a Ferrari but they are getting rarer, as luck would have it, I managed to find one with a head gasket failure, '99 Bianca white with a decent shell.
The only issue it was located in Aberdeen (could not get any further away)
In the end after debating a long drive with the trailer, managed to get it delievered down for only £350, was never worth trying to get up there!

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at the moment when it first was delievered.
But the past few weeks have managed to make a good start on the car and get it stripped with the engine out, heres a few pictures of it:

Engine out and stripped:

Hopefully will be able to rebuild at a later date and keep as a spare as it's pretty low mileage and saves anything in the future.

The head gasket was well and truly gone, a lot of mayo in the water ways, its a wonder it didn't go pop.
Anyway over the past week me and my brother have managed to get a decent job with stripping the titanic down,
bumper off, rad etc. also found the support the rad sits on was rotten and fell to pieces:

The plans for the car, are to rebuild it completely with new bushes & mountings etc, swap the roll cage over and all the other fun bits, also sort the wiring out under the engine bay as it's a complete mix up at the moment. But that can be done when the engine is back in.

I have however been buying early! lol
Managed to get a maniflow manifold off here:

Also richw's pas relocation kit, 23mm tb's - hybrid arb off here.
Also some new braided brake lines.
It's gonna take a fair few new bits so is easier to build up the parts pile and get it all done whilst it's all apart at the moment.

I have given the sub frame a lick of paint, didn't go for powdercoating as it won't be a show winner, but I wanted to tidy it all up, as will also do around the engine bay give that a blow over.

I shall keep this updated though!
Will be doing things to both cars as and when with work!

Apologies for the long post though!

Any comments are appreciated,
thanks
LJ

Astra burg #365 Garrett Power
'99 bodied 6 track project
Posted 21st Oct 2014 at 20:56
lurch86

Senior User

Post #2
Good stuff! I think for the money there's not much better out there for speed and handling than the gti6!

Wanted list... (P.m me if you have any)
Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Lydden Hill 31/10/2015 Last Track day
1st time at Snetterton on the Bike! 22/08/2017
Posted 21st Oct 2014 at 22:25
rikky 🦔

Post #3
my mates mates old gti6! Simon Farmer

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 21st Oct 2014 at 22:35
Tarmac terror

Regular

Post #4
lurch86 wrote:
Good stuff! I think for the money there's not much better out there for speed and handling than the gti6!

I think that's a very fair statement...

TT
Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 11:16
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #5
Tarmac terror wrote:
lurch86 wrote:

TT

RenaultSport Clio Thumbs up

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 11:38
    chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
    wow that's a very rusty one indeed, not seen them rot to quite that extent, but I suppose once it sets in......she sets in quick lol

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
    Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:50
    eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
    dangti6 wrote:
    Tarmac terror wrote:
    lurch86 wrote:

TT

306 GTi6 over a clio sport for track all day long for me. Had both and the clio just isnt anywhere near as good on track as the 306 I thought

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
    Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 15:14
    lurch86

Senior User

Post #8
    dangti6 wrote:
    Tarmac terror wrote:
    lurch86 wrote:

TT

I'm not so sure, I've never been overtaken by one, but I've overtaken many! I'd like to try one.

Wanted list... (P.m me if you have any)
    Rollcage.
    Strut Braces.

Lydden Hill 31/10/2015 Last Track day
    1st time at Snetterton on the Bike! 22/08/2017
    Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 15:51
    lj_6

Regular

Post #9
    You can't beat it for the money, the engine is simple for what it is, where as the clio 182 has the vvt and the dephaser pulley is forever going.

Once stuck side by side with a 182 cup...

Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 16:05
    dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #10
    lj_6 wrote:
    You can't beat it for the money, the engine is simple for what it is, where as the clio 182 has the vvt and the dephaser pulley is forever going.

Once stuck side by side with a 182 cup...

The pulleys do become noisey if they aren't changed when the belt is done. Saying that, you can continue to run with the noisey dephaser and ignore the noise - I did for over 4 years.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 16:22
    RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    The thing with clio 172s etc is that they are great cars but at 306 money they all look like total nails!
    I'd want to spend a bit more on a clio to be honest.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
    Posted 22nd Oct 2014 at 18:53
    lj_6

Regular

Post #12
    Just realised how long I have left this, Shouldn't neglect it as much!
    Being busy at work this time of year, also other things progress has been a bit slow but the light is just creeping up at the end of the tunnel.
    Decided to start some more stripping on the dead 306, rear beam out (seized and had it) engine subframe etc out in one.
    Was pretty shocked at how much rust was in the front end!

Brake servo has been leaking for just a little while!

Looks as if it has been undersealed at some point to cover up some rust!

Don't worry not a plant growing under it! But just shocked me the amount of rust, I know it's getting on a bit but even still!

The one that shocked me the most, we noticed when revving the engine it was moving a fair bit. I didn't expect this:

I've seen a few cracked but not to that sort of extent!

Anyways with the engine out, it could only get better, needed to strip it all down, get the engine on a stand so we could do some minor work to it & checking It over!

Engine stand is a useful one! managed to get some paint on the block just to smarten it up, new cambelt & waterpump to go on. Also bought a richw crank pulley as the original is starting to crack in places.
    Also found the gearbox side crankshaft oil seal is leaking. That's given a fair bit of work to get these bits done!

Onto better news, I managed to get the bay rubbed down on the new 306, had to do a bit of welding with plates but its to be expected, also with the rad support bar! Seems to collect water. Done this, used some rust eater around the bay and in the wheel arches. primed with a couple of coats and a few top coat layers aswell!

When the paint goes on you can then see your getting somewhere with it. I managed to get a coat of lacquer on it yesterday before going out for a Christmas tipple. Just needs another coat and should be all sorted. It's by no means a picture perfect job, but rather than leaving the odd patches of rust it will look a lot better. After all is a track project but better to be presentable!

One that I forgot from the previous post

Gave the newer subframe a lick of paint, There was no point in spending the money on powdercoating when it will more than likely be out again in a year or two. Does the job anyways!

Anyways that's that update, next few weeks will be starting to rebuild the subframe, all new bushes etc. and get the engine back onto it and hopefully, a few weeks down the line the engine will be back in!

The rear beam now needs some work, as have a new arb & tb's to go in. The original was shot so that's being scrapped.

As always any comments & suggestions welcome!

Posted 25th Dec 2014 at 22:58
    Twangy

Senior User

Post #13
    your doing the right thing ,starting with a good shell as other one looks like a right rot box , and by building yourself at least you can make sure everything is put back together in good order ,keep up the good work

wayne mcardle
    Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 10:57
    rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
    Local to Combe. Hopefully see you there one day Smile

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
    309 3dr K20 Type R
    Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 11:01
    adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    My blaze last year had a similar amount of rust and I did the same thing as you! Get the rack ends changed too.
    See you at combe Smile

Nothing to see here
    Posted 26th Dec 2014 at 11:43
    lj_6

Regular

Post #16
    I somehow manage to keep forgetting to get an update in for this! Have managed to make a lot of progress in the mean time.
    Seems as if half the year has flown by just like that!

I was hoping the car would have been done a lot earlier, but it was never going to happen when so much kept building up on to a seemingly never ending list of things to do!
    In the end the deadline is now set for the 17th August where we have a trackday booked which gives us a good deadline.

Had the front end taken off & bootlid where its being sprayed, the rest of the car seems to clean up well, have mopped the drivers door which didn't take too long and its come out really well!

Engine, box & subframe complete went back in around Feb time due to work! Wasn't too bad but had a lot of other prep work in and around it!

The ABS system has been completely removed, all wiring and sensors, new brake lines run (same master cylinder) single pipe ran through the inside - bias valve - t piece and out. Have also installed a Spa brake bia gauge, handy piece of kit!

Engine wise -

Maniflow manifold fitted, heat wrapped to keep the engine bay temps down & tunnel. The manifold makes it so much easier to get to the connector from manifold to exhaust, right under the car!

Fans now on individual switches through the relay box fitted on the original mounts for battery box, battery now moved to the boot Temporary until the cages & seats have been fitted to get a decent home! Battery kill switch & fire extinguisher to go route into engine bay also to be fitted!

Also managed to get a new engine loom from Omex, really decent to deal with! made up for all the connectors on the original loom. but can now put the ecu inside. It's now located where the passenger airbag used to be which is out the way.

Car also remapped due to a few changes, although one big hit was when the car was originally purchased, it stated tarmac cams with a printout of 240bhp. When I checked as I needed to give the mapper details standard cams had been dropped back in! That's going to be one for the future I think!

Anyways Mapping was all good ad it made a healthy 206 bhp with a good curve (will have to dig out the dyno print out) Managed to take it to a friends industrial unit and give it a try, it's definitely made a difference and seems to pull so much better!

The original exhaust was hanging and was a little undersized! Took a trip to Infinity Exhausts and had a new system made up, 2.5" to a single back box (packed out a bit to be able to pass Combe's noise tests)

Interior wise, everything has been stripped out, and the cage temporarily installed, going to get some box sections made up for behind the rear seats, also going to install a harness bar by adding onto the cage but will look into that once the cage is in.
    Seats will be going in after, need to cut out the original seat mounts and drop the seats as low as we can, but shouldn't be a problem just going to take a bit of time!

Made a few modifications to the dash - my dad (fair play to him) Made some panels out of some copper plating, wrapped them in carbon fibre for all the gauges and switches, think it works great.

Also installed a Spa duel Oil pressure & temperature gauge. Have a fair bit of tidying to do with the wiring and things still under the console but that can be done at final after the cage is in so I can move things around it.

Also managed to source some direct fit pro race 1.2's 15x7 which I have o say really do suit the car! I know a lot of people have them, but they do look good. Bought some Dunlop slicks which will end up going on them due to the width (need to sort new suspension first but will get to that later)
    Bought some CL pads clio fitment (Thanks to who found that out! Saves a lot of money) up front & just greenstuff at the back, need to bed those in but with abs gone seem to have a lot more power behind them!

I did post a few months ago with a few woes from the Baker bm top mounts and the spax rsx coilovers I had whereby the sleeved nuts weren't going on far enough. Managed to machine them down, then found a new issue which the coilovers need conical tops to sit nicely on the top mounts. Spax don't do them, did start making a mock up of some to make but in the end binned the idea - going to be getting AST Sportline coilovers in the winter time and install the top mounts then.

Final part - The rear beam off the old car was seized solid, the donor one was starting to go but was in a lot better condition. After a few hours managed to have everything apart, replaced all bearings and seals and gave it a lick of paint - also bought a hybrid arb and 23mm tb's (wanted a good compromise) Solid mounts along with painting everything else.
    One thing I will say - painted the disc protectors etc all with a paint called Por 15 - a lot better than hammerite leaves a really good finish and eats rust at the same time. Didn't have the time to get it pounder coated and was surprised what it came out like!

At the same time of the rebuild - I also painted the boot floor as it was starting to rust in places, a few hours of fun under the car it was all cleaned up. I know a lot of people go for Stone chip paint, but I had a lot of white left over from repainting the engine bay, few coats of that and all was ok!

This is how it now sits:

Also put some braided lines all through, definitely had a good overhaul!

I have probably missed a few things but will try and get an update over the next few days again as have a lot more time to work on it.
    Apologies for the long post! It's a few months all rolled into one, will try and keep them short and regular now!

Posted 5th Jul 2015 at 10:43
    tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
    oo SpA gauges, nice. Love my oil gauge. Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
    Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
    Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
    Posted 5th Jul 2015 at 12:15
    nick!

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
    Nice progress! Miss my track 306! Can not believe the rust on the original car you bought, crazy!

Cherry Red Rallye - 179.1bhp@fly, 148.4bhp@wheels
    Posted 5th Jul 2015 at 12:58
    Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    THis is very interesting I think mine has a similar amount of rot but really don't have pots of spare cash or time to reshell Sad
    Posted 5th Jul 2015 at 13:25
    burnout21

Regular

Post #20
    That is some detail, and looks good on them slicks Smile
    Wish I had the time and funds to sort mine out but on a major budget.
    Posted 5th Jul 2015 at 14:34
    adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    I'd maybe use a road/track tyre first Smile

Nothing to see here
    Posted 5th Jul 2015 at 23:06
    Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
    Les ...I have had the pleasure of meeting most of your family at Coombe on a couple of occasions ....

You really are lucky that all of you muck in & enjoy your track days ...your Dad was smiling from ear to ear like a little kid when he was about to drive ...that's worth all the hard work you have all put into this new car Thumbs up

I really hope to see you all again & please just keep doing the family thing ...priceless Thumbs up

PS great write up ....keep updates coming & I hope that 206 goes on & on ...great little flyer that is LOL

You at Pugfest ?
    Posted 6th Jul 2015 at 00:08
    lj_6

Regular

Post #23
    Thanks for the comments so far everyone, much appreciated!

Adam: going to be on r888's till after the car has settled in and the new suspension is on!

Damien: cheers for the comments mate, was good to meet you aswell! Was a shame that track day was so full up, didn't get to go out as much as we wanted!

But you are right it was all worth it. There's been a lot of frustrations with the car it have luckily managed to pull through it. Good to see yours aswell out mate, was up sat at tower on fcs and yours was flying mate!

Will have to put another post up about the 206 had a little accident! Lol

Possibly going to pugfest? This weekend isn't it?

Posted 6th Jul 2015 at 11:09
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
    Nice work! Similar power I'm hoping for with my new engine

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 6th Jul 2015 at 11:21
    Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    No ..little Accident ????

Yes Pugfest is this Sunday ...

Will be great to see that 306 on the track Les Thumbs up

I would love to say it's just my driving skill ...but Sandy Browns mapping & Satchells & Jenveys products are the Key ...priceless Big grin
    Posted 6th Jul 2015 at 18:16

Pages (2): [1] 2