displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Few temp/mpg/hesitation problems after head rebuild
DanRM

Regular

Post #1
I recently bought a 6 with a broken cambelt, and rebuilt the head in my spare time at work, I've now had it running a couple of weeks but still have a few little problems I can't get round, and with buying the car with the snapped belt I have no idea how it ran before hand.

Firstly the temp gauge says its running at 75-78 degrees even after an hours drive or so, it has on occasion reached about 85 when stuck in heavy traffic, I don't know if that is the gauge at fault or if it is actually running cold, but I replaced the thermostat with a new 83 degree one. I thought it may be a faulty one and stuck open or similar so went to buy another one off the reg number this morning and they have given me an 88 deg one saying thats what comes up, surely this is too high?

The next two are most likely related (along with the 1st) but from red light to red light I am only doing 300 miles, where compared to my other 6 I was usually getting 400-440 to a tank (489 was my best). Is this normal and the other one was exceptionally good on fuel even with doing 60k more?

Every now and then it gets hesitation when I put my foot down, Only done it a few times so far but its as if I've let my foot off the throttle momentarily, along with cutting out quite a bit when cold and returning to idle (used to this from my 205). Is this likely to be related to the other problems? and in what order would you check things? As my other 6 is sat on the driveway I am able to swap most things over as long as they fit.

Cheers
Posted 11th Oct 2014 at 15:23
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
The cutting out, I guess that happens when you dip the clutch? If so, it's most likely the idle control valve.
The fuel consumption may be a little more than it should be. Mine averages 30 mpg and that's roughly 350 miles to a tank. If you want to pursue that it could be the lamda sensor.
The hesitating could be a shagged out coil pack.
Temperature wise the car should run at around 80° and when stuck in traffic it will go to 97° and both fans will cut in at low speed. Anything more than that and something will be wrong. When the fans cut in they will lower the temperature to 90° and so the cycle starts again.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 11th Oct 2014 at 17:15
DanRM

Regular

Post #3
Thanks for the response, I've swapped over the 2 coolant sensors this evening incase it was one of those being faulty. I've come to put the coolant in and as I fill it up with the engine off water started coming out of the thermostat bleed screw then just after the top rad bleed screw, am I right in thinking that if this is the case with the engine not running and cold the thermostat is stuck open?

Also as the only one i was given when I ordered a new one was an 88 degree thermostat, is that alright to use or not?
Posted 11th Oct 2014 at 19:26
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Judging by when mine gets warm it's probably about right. Mine gets to 85ish every time then it appears to open then drops to 80. I thought the thermostat always let a little through. Did you run it up to temperature and bleed from all 3 points.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 12th Oct 2014 at 09:54
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
DanRM wrote:
Thanks for the response, I've swapped over the 2 coolant sensors this evening incase it was one of those being faulty. I've come to put the coolant in and as I fill it up with the engine off water started coming out of the thermostat bleed screw then just after the top rad bleed screw, am I right in thinking that if this is the case with the engine not running and cold the thermostat is stuck open?

Also as the only one i was given when I ordered a new one was an 88 degree thermostat, is that alright to use or not?

No, that doesn't mean that it is stuck open.
Coolant will come out of the top of the rad, the thermostat housing and eventually the matrix bleed point.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 12th Oct 2014 at 10:13