displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Air intake missing, performance degradation?
luke89

Regular

Post #1
Hi folks,

My new gti6 doesn't have a scoop and air intake pipe fitted, Im guessing the old owner must have lost it at some point so you can see the yellow air filter when looking down into the engine bay.

Does this have a detrimental affect on power? I imagine its probably giving me the nice induction note I'm enjoying but also sucking a load of hot air in from behind the rad?

I'm looking to get the car to a really nice standard condition so will be buying an intake/scoop to fit just so it looks neater, but what are the performance ramifications?

Cheers.
Posted 4th Oct 2014 at 01:19
scotzman

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Got one here bud.

'90 1.6 205 GTi, '98 306 GTi-6
Posted 4th Oct 2014 at 06:29
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Is the filter exposed or in the housing?
If you've no snorkel but the filter is in the standard airbox it isn't too bad but could do with more airflow.

If you've an exposed filter then you'll likely have lower torque low down, but will particularly notice the car being sluggish after sitting in traffic with engine bay temps going up in stagnant air.

Overall, not massive, but they are noticable.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 4th Oct 2014 at 07:19
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
indeed. *points above*

to elborate. when a car is stated to have "167bhp" etc. that is a maximum bhp for a certain point in the rev range. either side it will most usualy diminish.

you may gain no or little "max HP" but you may increase other bhps within the rev range by reffiting a snorkel.

its only a bolt and a jubuilee clip so you may aswell.

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 6th Oct 2014 at 18:43
luke89

Regular

Post #5
Cheers guys.I'll get one fitted, I just have a standard air box but missing the snorkel so the filter is pretty exposed to heat soak from the rad.
Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 19:38
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
jimmyhackers wrote:
indeed.

its only a bolt and a jubuilee clip so you may aswell.

It's not even a jubilee clip just an m6 bolt through the snorkel then into the slam pannel! Other end just sits over the top of the filter housing Yes
Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 20:09