displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: merc Kompressor s/c on gti engine?
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
i plan on a bit of a project. supercharging for under 1000.

as the title may have given away. ive been on ebay looking at second hand superchargers.

merc 1.8 kompressor ones come in around at 100 - 150 quid. make a few custom mounting brackets. put it where the aircon pump is/was. fit an intercooler, duct it all up. all parts second hand should come in at around 300-400 quid. then comes the hmmm (head scratching) part.

how do i go about remapping/refueling. i presume (let me know if ther are better options) the 1.8 s/c will be low boost at best on the gti's 2.0 litre. with this presumed low boost will i need to change anything else?

im not looking to break the speed of light. if i get 15-20bhp ill be happy. im just wondering if the standard engine and ecu would be able to accomodate and re-tune itself for very low boost?

what else might i need to do mechanically, to the engine? like a thicker headgasket, bigger injectors or a higher pressure fuel regulator?

let me know your thoughts about this. i know theres probably a lot ive missed out, probably because its all the stuff im unsure of.

thanks in advance for your replies
jim

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 28th Sep 2014 at 01:53
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
You'll need the ecu re-mapping or new programmable ecu and mapping.

Supercharging with eatons has been done a few times, have a search!

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 28th Sep 2014 at 07:05
chiefton

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Lol I have been toying with this idea also!!! They are fairly cheap to pickup

cherry rallye daily (the money pit)
Posted 28th Sep 2014 at 09:39
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Take a look at Niall's project thread:

clicky

Pretty much covers everything you want to do i think Yes Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 28th Sep 2014 at 09:45
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
That project thread is ridiculously out of date. If you want more info, find my thread over on OC

doing it on £1000 will be very very tight because it WILL need mapping. If you can teach your self and do it on the road, fantastic but its a bit of an art to learn. Also you will need aftermarket management and that is never cheap. a second/third hand Omex goes for about £50 less than brand new.
If it hadn't of been for my failing fuel pump and needing remapping a second time, i could of done mine on £1500. Mines running at 215bhp and 180ftlb torque. Not a huge amount on paper but i can tell you now its no slower than a low boost lynx due to the way it delivers its power. Well worth doing in my opinion if not for the power but just for the noise lol

Edit: Oh and due to work my car is also for sale now so you could just buy it and have it all done for you Wink
Posted 28th Sep 2014 at 10:09
jimmyhackers

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
how muchmatey?

the world is changed by people in sheds
Posted 29th Sep 2014 at 20:55
Niall

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
£3500
Posted 1st Oct 2014 at 08:09