displaying posts 26 to 42 of 42

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: SOLVED - Anybody like mysteries?
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
mj2k wrote:
I managed to sneak in a quick hour once I'd got home from work, refitted the old tensioner, retensioned the belt, and ran it for a couple of minutes. Belt stayed tensioned, so that Dayco kit from Eurocarparts was definitely a pile of carp.

The engine's still tapping a little but nowhere near as bad as it was. It's still got that 'kid's skateboard' noise going on, but running it without the cambelt cover makes me think the noise is coming from the cambelt end after all. What are the bets it's either the Dayco / Eurocarparts cambelt roller, or the Eurocarparts water pump making that noise...?

Strange you're having issues - Dayco are the OEM suppliers to Peugeot!

I only use Dayco belt kits (I do get them from Peugeot as I'm on good discount terms with them).

Dayco is about the only brand I haven't had issues with.

Rich Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 23rd Nov 2014 at 20:58
mj2k

Junior User

Post #27
rich_w wrote:

Strange you're having issues - Dayco are the OEM suppliers to Peugeot!

I only use Dayco belt kits (I do get them from Peugeot as I'm on good discount terms with them).

Dayco is about the only brand I haven't had issues with.

Rich Smile

Hmm, that does make me wonder wtf went wrong - it was a sealed Dayco box, but comparing the tensioner with two others (the original from the '6 engine and a genuine one from an XSi engine) it's obviously very different - it's the thinnest of the three but the race diameter is the largest, the 'cap' on the engine side of the tensioner is missing, and crucially (though it may not be obvious from the picture) the inside diameter of the stud hole is much smaller. Also, the idler pulley is a very different design and the supplied bolts were completely wrong.

I haven't cross-referenced the part number of the kit against the Dayco catalogue (if they have one); wonder if Eurocarparts sent me the wrong kit?

Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 01:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #28
they all look the same to me, minor manufacturing differences.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 07:45
mj2k

Junior User

Post #29
welshpug! wrote:

Perspective may be hiding the differences a bit, but the height difference is fairly easy to see, and middle one was 'off' enough to make it a very poor fit, in an area where you really don't want a poor fit.

I'm really hoping they have given me the wrong part (KTB 165), otherwise I'm going to be too scared to use anything but the auto-adjusting type from now on. Still, I guess that's no bad thing really - my latest ruin has a Ph3 engine so the auto-adjuster's the 'original'part for it.
Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 09:22
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
I had one that wasnt square so when it was fitted and i turned it over by hand it was pulling the belt off as was sitting on a lsight angle, that was a Gates kit.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 09:19
mj2k

Junior User

Post #31
pug_306 wrote:
I had one that wasnt square so when it was fitted and i turned it over by hand it was pulling the belt off as was sitting on a lsight angle, that was a Gates kit.

Ugh, that's one to avoid then! Funny really, on some cars the components really don't seem to matter that much (you could probably use a potato with a nail through it for a Ford Pinto tensioner) but I'd have thought precision was the key for twin cam interference engines...

Edit Come to think of it, a potato with a nail through it probably was an OE part for the Ford Pinto Smile
Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 09:58
vortex9

Post #32
I had the same/similar issue with the Dayco tensioner.
First, the hole was too small to fit on the dowel, had to file it to make it fit and then once it was on it was too thin width ways for the dowel.
So when you tighten up the bolt you just tighten up against the dowel and the tensioner swings free. Only a very small amount it was too thin but not good enough.
Took me forever to find out what was going on.
Thought it might have been a 1 off but after reading this maybe not!
Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 17:21
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
pug_306 wrote:

I have had this problem with Gates also!

Not good.

That's why I use Dayco.

Contact Details:

07732 822546

Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 17:22
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
mj2k wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

Perspective may be hiding the differences a bit, but the height difference is fairly easy to see, and middle one was 'off' enough to make it a very poor fit, in an area where you really don't want a poor fit.

I'm really hoping they have given me the wrong part (KTB 165), otherwise I'm going to be too scared to use anything but the auto-adjusting type from now on. Still, I guess that's no bad thing really - my latest ruin has a Ph3 engine so the auto-adjuster's the 'original'part for it.

KTB is the right part number.

The ones I have always fitted have the 'cap' on the engine side, maybe they have recently changed their supplier for the tensioner or something Unsure

Contact Details:

07732 822546

Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 17:23
mj2k

Junior User

Post #35
vortex9 wrote:
I had the same/similar issue with the Dayco tensioner.
First, the hole was too small to fit on the dowel, had to file it to make it fit and then once it was on it was too thin width ways for the dowel.
So when you tighten up the bolt you just tighten up against the dowel and the tensioner swings free. Only a very small amount it was too thin but not good enough.
Took me forever to find out what was going on.
Thought it might have been a 1 off but after reading this maybe not!

That's exactly what happened with me, only I didn't spot the bolt wasn't locking the tensioner and mangled my valves. A few others on other forums have also had the same issue, only most were a bit more observant than me Roll eyes

Where did you get your kit from?

Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 17:59
vortex9

Post #36
I actually didn't notice until the cam spun!!! But I was close to starting it up too so it could have been a disaster. Luckily it didn't cause any damage/ tapping engine.

I bought mine from EuroCarParts/CP4L
Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 18:53
mj2k

Junior User

Post #37
vortex9 wrote:
I actually didn't notice until the cam spun!!! But I was close to starting it up too so it could have been a disaster. Luckily it didn't cause any damage/ tapping engine.

I bought mine from EuroCarParts/CP4L

Ditto, I wonder if there was a duff batch, if this is Eurocarparts-specific or if they've changed the design as @rich_w suggested?
Posted 24th Nov 2014 at 20:56
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #38
The tensioners in a genuine OEM kit are made by a company called 'INA'.

I have never had a problem with them. I also recommend using the 136 design over the 137. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 25th Nov 2014 at 23:20
mj2k

Junior User

Post #39
stan_306gti6 wrote:
The tensioners in a genuine OEM kit are made by a company called 'INA'.

I have never had a problem with them. I also recommend using the 136 design over the 137. Yes

Hmm, interesting - I was just reading up on it and Gates don't actually make the tensioners they use; Dayco seems a bit more of a grey area, and INA sell kits in their own right.

I just opened up the INA OEM site, and got a surprise when I looked at their cambelt kits; that idler pulley looks uncomfortably familiar, but it looks like their tensioner's the correct 'capped' type:

Posted 26th Nov 2014 at 05:23
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #40
If you buy a genuine kit from Peugeot (in a Peugeot box) it will have INA tensioner/roller inside and the tensioner will be the correct capped type.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Nov 2014 at 00:00
mj2k

Junior User

Post #41
stan_306gti6 wrote:
If you buy a genuine kit from Peugeot (in a Peugeot box) it will have INA tensioner/roller inside and the tensioner will be the correct capped type.

Thanks, that's just what I've done Smile
Posted 30th Nov 2014 at 00:38
mj2k

Junior User

Post #42
Well it took almost a week to come in, about half an hour of increasingly irritated calls (it was always "due tomorrow" ) and cost £40 more than the Dayco kit, but the parts look right in the Pug-supplied kit - Dayco belt, INA tensioner, more robust-looking idler.

So unless you fancy sourcing the cambelt kit parts individually, it looks like the OEM kit is the way to go. It cost more and took a v long time to arrive (but that could just be my local stdealer being useless) but the cost in time and money replacing bent valves would be far more than this...
Posted 2nd Dec 2014 at 14:06

Pages (2): 1 [2]