displaying posts 26 to 44 of 44

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: My Black Rallye...
barrym

Senior User

Post #26
She still pulls well! I have the dyno print out for the RL cams on T816PEF and the car feels how the graph looks. You have to be careful because the car will run into the rev limiter very easily! I guess I will have to get her on a dyno to find out.

Unfortunatley the suspension had been 'upgraded' to Raceland coilovers at some time prior to my purchase so I can't comment on the handling you experienced. Between them and a stuck compensator valve it could be a little hairy into corners at times TBH.

Whilst replacing the front suspension it was obvious to my that the drivers side had been replaced, and properly with new nuts/bolts etc. Good to know the rear beam should be in OK shape too, but I still feel a jord rebuild coming on.

She's my pride and joy now too, so my wallet isn't going to get an easy time lol

She is in great shape still and I aim to keep her that wayLove

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 3rd Sep 2014 at 19:27
orta

Senior User

Post #27
barrym wrote:

As I mentioned before I bought the car end of June, and since then I have put on more miles than it did in the previous 12 months. This is my only car and it will have to deal with 24,000 miles a year. With this in mind I have taken a few days off work to do the following:

Please don't do that mileage in one of the 60 or so black rallyes left Shock

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 4th Sep 2014 at 17:31
barrym

Senior User

Post #28
I don't have a choice mate. It's my only car and I have to do that mileage to pay the bills.

It shouldn't be too bad I hope. I will be replacing all the worn bits, religiously servicing her, keeping on top of cam belt changes etc. Besides surely the biggest threat to these cars, other than being written off in an accident, is rust. And that is a time aspect as much as mileage, plus the car has had some moves made to alleviate this and I intend to improve on this.

It will only be for 2 years. After that the Rallye will become a second car/plaything and then she will really change.Yes

That's the plan anyway

Posted 4th Sep 2014 at 18:03
honestly3k

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
I did 35k P/A in my Manstone 6 for 3 years. She loved it though, the best kind of mileage is motorway to put on an engine, and regularly took her to the redline, once warm ofcourse. A cambelt a year and 3 services got a bit pricey though, pretty economical regularly saw 430 miles to the tank which is great for the level of performance Smile

She was still going strong on 164k when some cnut in a DAF lorry rear ended her

''Oh, it does handle like a golf!'' Why drive a Golf....when you can drive a GTi-6?
Posted 4th Sep 2014 at 18:43
barrym

Senior User

Post #30
Little update, the car is back on the road and is, frankly, transformed.

The new wheel bearings have gotten rid of the judder under high speed braking. There was ots of play in the wheel but no noises at all

The KWs are a massive improvement over the tat they replaced being firmer yet more compliant. The front no longer bottoms out coming off speed humps at 5mph yet doesn't crash over uneven surfaces.

Tying it all together the new bushes, ball joint etc. give the steering a much more immediate effect. The icing on the cake really.

Time, effort and money well spent.

Oh yeah, despite the wheels turning out a colour that can not really be described as silver I like them. They are actually a perfect match for the grey surround of the rallye logo and give a tough, stealth look. Not what I was going for but after careful consideration of how big a PITA it would be to redo them, they are staying!

Pics will follow when I take some

Barry

Posted 7th Sep 2014 at 19:55
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Nice job.

Nice to see another one local. I lived in westcliff for 22 years but moved to benfleet a few months back.

There is also another black rallye that parks on the london road by westcliff library. Its club stickered and slightly modded but i think it was bought from a silent member on here.

I also saw another black 306 but think it was a gti near hadleigh a few weeks ago.

I do loiter around westcliff and southend most weekends so you may see my dented silver 6 knocking about.

***Breaking*** Ph3 Silver GTI 6 High Boost Superman

Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 20:48
barrym

Senior User

Post #32
Hi there and thanks for the comments. I will keep an eye out for you. Yet to spy another '6 or Rallye round my way despite frequently popping into the Tesco Express in Westcliff. Lived in Benfleet myself for quite a few years.

Bit of an update, nothing major. New front discs and pads fitted today, the passenger side really took a hammering what with the knackered wheel bearing. All seemed good after the previous work but it was all relative. It soon became apparent all wasn't well but what with being paid monthly it has taken till now to remedy.

While I had the tools out I also fitted the OMP upper strut brace delivered just hours before. Many thanks to smithers for that, fast delivery and top notch packaging too.

What with bedding in the brakes I haven't been able to really test the handling but the creaks and rattles from the dash area have gone so it has definitely done something.

Next week will see the first 6000 mile oil change under my ownership. Need to cobble up a makeshift ramp out of 6x2 first as my oil pan won't fit under tha car as it stands. Will be changing the gear oil too, a snap at £10.30 + VAT from Pug.

I don't know how but I almost forgot. Had to replace the brake light switch. What a complete A*SE of a job. Thank heavens I didn't just follow the Haynes method and 'remove complete dashboard'. Just finished picking the last scab off my arm though.

Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 20:48
orta

Senior User

Post #33
6waysforward wrote:

I do loiter around westcliff and southend most weekends so you may see my dented silver 6 knocking about.

Was born in Southend, well actually rochford hospital to be exact (it's not there anymore). Moved away some time ago but when I visit to see relatives etc Essex always lives up to its ford dominated reputation! So it's good to see the peugeot flag flying!!

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 21:00
barrym

Senior User

Post #34
I was born in Rochford hospital too. It still lives but in a very much diminished form.

I confess I was a Ford man since passing my test many many moons ago. This is the first non-Ford car I have owned in 27 years of driving

Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 21:17
gwyn rallye

Regular

Post #35
Good progress... glad to see she's in good hands. Out of interest what mileage she now on??

Bianca white 306 Rallye
Arctic blue Clio 182 FF
Alpine white 205 1.9 GTI
Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 21:19
barrym

Senior User

Post #36
Just gone past 142, 200. Hasn't used a drop of oil in 6000 miles either

Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 21:25
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
barrym wrote:
Hi there and thanks for the comments. I will keep an eye out for you. Yet to spy another '6 or Rallye round my way despite frequently popping into the Tesco Express in Westcliff. Lived in Benfleet myself for quite a few years.

There is not many round here as most people have jap crap etc.
Ive only seen a handfull about round here in my 9 years of 306's.

I used to live a few roads away from tesco express, my parents still do hence why i am usually about. Plus my mates all live southend way.

If you get stuck with anything, give me a shout as i have done just about everything 306 related a few times ( on my 4th gti 6 now ) so i will normally know a way to get round things.

orta wrote:
6waysforward wrote:

Was born in Southend, well actually rochford hospital to be exact (it's not there anymore). Moved away some time ago but when I visit to see relatives etc Essex always lives up to its ford dominated reputation! So it's good to see the peugeot flag flying!!

Been flying the peugeot flag for nine years in these parts mate. Smile

Posted 7th Oct 2014 at 21:47
barrym

Senior User

Post #38
Well been a long time coming but a little update.

Car has now just clicked past 160K and is still running sweet, uses no oil or water.

The last week has seen the fitting of a new cam belt kit and water pump, alloy crank pulley, clutch cable and 4 new Michelin PS3's.

Also new Brembo discs and Mintex 1144 pads and new 5.1 fluid, finally sorting once and for all the exhaust routing and a few other niggles.

Now I have matching tyres front to back a final tweaking of the ride height has given me a car which staggers me.

I can't wait for tomorrow so I can go out for another drive

Barry

Posted 27th Aug 2015 at 22:49
6waysforward

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Still not seen you about in the rallye.
You should come to the essex meets, would be good to get a 306 rallye there.

Posted 27th Aug 2015 at 22:58
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #40
So glad to see this beauty is still alive and kicking Love

Out of 20 plus 306's/Rallyes this is truely one of only 2 cars that I still miss to this day! (The other being my white phase 2 GTI6)

So glad you are restoring it to is former glory as after I sold it to jimmyboycheck he undertook some 'choice' mods that made me regret my decision to sell.

Posted 8th Feb 2016 at 22:11
barrym

Senior User

Post #41
Been a while since so time for an update.

Car is currently just shy of 172,000 and has had some niggles. Some I have sorted today and the rest will be sorted over the next few weeks.

Today I replaced every engine mount as the car had developed some quite shocking driveline shunt. Powerflex lower mount for ease of replacement along with a SH fork with new OE small bush. The old large mount was split so well worth doing.

Replaced the gearbox mount with OE one I purchased from RichW. Again old one was showing signs of excessive wear.

And whilst I was at it had my top engine mount apart again even though I replaced it with a Baker BM one a couple of months ago. And glad I did as the mount had failed catastrophically. The bottom metal cup of the mount had completely cracked apart in a way similar to the way the chassis usually fails.

Luckily I had kept the old standard mount so refitted that and whilst I was at it chocked the buffer too.

Just took the car for a spin and it drives beautifully. No shunt at all and no excessive vibration, which was something I was concerned might develop using a Powerflex mount.

I had a knocking coming from what I thought was the drivers side front suspension but that has gone now so was actually the top mount. Two birds with one stone. Result.

My exhaust still leaves something to be desired. A mount has snapped off the back box and I have bodged it back together. A new Jetex system is awaiting fitment, and while I am at it will replace the little bushes in the bottom of the gearstick to cure an annoying rattle. Got a noise that I think is a loose heatshield so will address that at the same time.

Few other really minor items sorted. Hockey stick clips, loose interior trims, seized brake compensator (I free it off evry time I service the car, grease it up and it always sticks again) and that is it.

Got an oil catch tank to fit when all the bits turn up. Tha car uses no oil whatsoever but the intake needs cleaning every service. Replacing the standard concertined plastic air intake for a smooth alloy pipe which will also move my BMC CDA up about 4". Which is good because it is too low for my liking.

That should do me till I hopefully find some ITB's at a good price. And I do mean a good price lol.

I still really love driving this car, it is civilised when bumbling around town yet when you let it off it makes a really lovely sound and pulls very well, embarassing a lot of 'fast' modern machines.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Barry

Posted 7th May 2016 at 15:43
barrym

Senior User

Post #42
Well it has been over a year and the car has had quite a bit done to it in that time. Currently just shy of 192K miles and hasn't been without issues but nearly all sorted now.

Pretty much everything done has been since new year and I will probably forget some stuff but I will just rattle it off as a list. Here goes.

Front suspension overhaul:
New KW V1's
New Lemforder wishbones, ball joints, drop links, track rod ends, tie rods, ARB bushes.
Top mounts and bearings.
Various gaiters etc.

Rebuilt rear beam (stef306) with Lemforder mounts.
Bilstein B6 Sprint shocks
New Bosch rear compensator and copper brake pipes

New discs and Mintex M1144 pads all round
2x new rear calipers
Motul RBF660 fluid
Hel braided lines

Lots of welding! Both chassis stiffeners and front floors replaced with fabricated parts, plus some other bits. Lots of rust protection carried out. Chassis is now solid again.

New Valeo clutch with clutch fork bushes and cable
Thermostatic oil cooler system.
Oil catch tank.
Jetex exhaust fitted.
Genuine Peugeot cat.

Various little bits of upkeep/tidying up done too.

I have left a lot of little bits out because I don't want to think about them, and the car still needs the front bumper sorting. It's battle scarred to say the least. More primer than black paint and really lets the car down and has been on my to do list since I got the car but other stuff always gets in the way.

Anyway it's all about the way it drives and although it will probably need some tweaking once the new axle and coilovers have settled a bit it feels genuinely good.

Having driven a 17 plate car for 5 weeks while my car was being repaired, I thought getting back into mine would show it up as a dog. But no! It shows it as a genuine drivers car with more feel and charisma than manufacturers manage to build in these days.

Right thats enough of that, I'm off out for another drive.

Posted 1st Aug 2017 at 17:46
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #43
So glad to see the old girl getting the love Love

One of the best 306's ive ever owned this and will always have a place in my heart.
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 13:26
barrym

Senior User

Post #44
hi gents another sporadic update.

Last November and 196K the car started misfiring and ended up being the head gasket. Happened right at the time the cambelt needed doing so had a fullkit and water pump fitted at the same time. car ran great and the way the temps were more stable I think it had been failing for a while even though it used no water or oil.

All good then three weeks ago on my way to work the engine just STOPPED! Tried to start it again but sounded like someone dropping a hudredweight of cutlery into an oildrum. Recovered the car to my trusty mech and found out a couple of days later the cambelt tensioner bolt had sheared. Head off again and full head rebuild needed, 16 new valves and guides etc. Thankfully all work carried out under warranty as the bolt came with the cambelt kit.

Whilst he had the car I had him fit my philipM lower brace and a couple of other small jobs in preparation for a Ring trip at Easter.

So had the car back a couple of days now and have to say she feels good. Still have some stuff I need to do to before heading out on track but that's just brakes and the like.

But the real reason for this update is today she passed the 200K miles mark. And I think it's now time to retire her to a part time play thing, pretty her up a bit and make her feel a bit more special, to drive that is.

I have a posible replacement daily in my sights and it's another 306, this time an HDi. Hopefully it's the right car for me and the deal comes off because I will miss not being in a 306.

Regards

Barry

Posted 4th Feb 2018 at 15:50

Pages (2): 1 [2]