displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Crank alignment check?
DanRM

Regular

Post #1
I recently bought a 6 with a snapped belt, I'm at the stage where the head is ready to go back on and have read about the slipped pulley problem. And having the belt snapped I don't know whether all 3 timing pins line up.

I have heard something some where on here that the key way should be at 90 degrees to the bolt on the left and the bottom of the block, so I have turned the crank to this position and lined up the pulley up and from the angle I was working at it looked like it lines up with the pin hole. Does this look right?

Looking at the photo it needs tweaking a little which I'll do when locking the pulley on Monday, I noticed there is a mark on the gear near the locking slot (not the tipex) which I was thinking may be a previous person marking for the gear in relation to the timing hole?

Cheers

Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 19:56
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Just get a new oe pulley or solid version and stop arsing about
Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 20:58
DanRM

Regular

Post #3
It's not really arsing about, its more the fact of not spending money on parts I don't necessarily need just on the off chance this pulley is naff.
Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 21:38
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
What ? Dude just buy a new pulley ? You just paid to have the head sorted and now your being tight over a pulley ? If you get it wrong it will cost you twice !

In fact do what ever bud but don't come crying whee it goes t1ts up
Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 22:03
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Just put the old pulley on and see if the holes line up. The cam pulley holes will always line up, so do them first, then see if the crank pulley holes lines up, if it does its ok, if it doesn't its kaput. Snapping the belt shouldn't affect the pulley, as the belt is driven from a seperate pulley, not off the aux pulley that is the one that is prone to slipping.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 22:36
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
That is spot on. Thumbs up

To be sure it's 'perfect' measure the height of all cylinders from the piston crown to the deck. They should all be exactly the same. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Aug 2014 at 01:10
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Actually just thinking what I said isn't correct, as you could put the pulley on and turn it to make the hole line up before fitting the belt. As Stan said, all the pistons should be at a midway point so before you put the head on, put the pulley on the crank and stick a drill bit or something through the hole and into the slot behind it. Then measure the distance from the piston crowns to the block deck, all 4 pistons should be the same. I'd suggest using a vernier caliper or something reasonably accurate to do this. If all 4 are the same, the pulley is ok, if 2 are higher/lower than the other 2, the pulley isn't ok.

What I said above would only work if you still had the old belt fitted, so you could check before removing it.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 30th Aug 2014 at 08:15
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
but you could still get it 180 degs out measuring the piston hights if the pulley had slipped Wink
Posted 30th Aug 2014 at 09:26
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
Nope, as the woodruff key wouldnt be pointing at the rear bolt.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 30th Aug 2014 at 09:34
DanRM

Regular

Post #10
Cheers guys everything lined up with a little tweak from how it was in the picture, the mark on the crank gear also lines up with the timing hole when the pistons are at half way. And sorry didnt mean to come across as i t**t, just that so far repairing this head has cost me the price of a set of guides and valves as everything else was bought for my other 6 which rotted through. And limiting spending on it as have no idea how the rest of the car is.

Cheers
Posted 6th Sep 2014 at 13:08
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #11
Glad it's all sorted. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 7th Sep 2014 at 12:46