displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Wanted: Quieter back box for high boost SC track 306.
thomo6

Regular

Post #1
Apologies posted in wrong section because I am a numpty.Sad

We are now the proud owners of Chrisd306's high boost supercharged track 306 and had our first outing this bank holiday at Blyton in it. Thumbs up Awesome car and really happy with it, however did have a couple of small issues, one being if failed the drive by noise limit. Was recorded at 100 db on the static and drive by and the drive by limit is 95db.Whistle

Therefore looking for a quieter aftermarket flange fitment back box, something like a Scorpion as been told that the older ones are quite quiet. Wanting to try changing the back box as only need to drop it by 5 to 10 db, so what have you got? Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 19:25
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
my old setup was ... decat - Scorpion centre section - Scorpion backbox it restricted my highboost setup
the lad who remapped mine (also chrisd306's) Wayne... had never seen the likes of it before LOL
it pushed the fan away when it was on the rolling road it only made 365bhp and was not quiet running right, felt bogged down at low revs

car runs a lot better on 2.5 magnex setup i have now, loud though Shut up

Scorpions 2 inch diameter in places Thumbs down is great sounding exhaust but on that setup i would avoid it (it wasnt much quieter either)

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 19:43
thomo6

Regular

Post #3
Thanks russbez for the reply, what db levels do you get with the current 2.5 magnet setup?

Chris also supplied a spare back box with the car that is apprently louder Shock and suggested he was planning to get this opened and reworked so it was quieter by a exhaust maker. Has anyone already done this and would it be achievable or realistic?
Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 19:59
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
LOL there all loud as fook but I'm pretty sure it could be quitened down without losing too much power by somebody decent not just some idiot with off the shelf parts to weld together like power flow eg.
They fetch supercharged cars out from factory running bigger engines and loads more power and they pass the tests to allow them to be produced road legal so I say why couldn't a s**tty 306 be made quieter.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 27th Aug 2014 at 20:04
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Why not buy repackable motorsport silencers? Then if it is too loud, put more deadening in.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 28th Aug 2014 at 10:12
russbez

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
thomo6 wrote:
Thanks russbez for the reply, what db levels do you get with the current 2.5 magnet setup?

Chris also supplied a spare back box with the car that is apprently louder Shock and suggested he was planning to get this opened and reworked so it was quieter by a exhaust maker. Has anyone already done this and would it be achievable or realistic?

sorry pal no idea about my db levels - it doesnt bother me as a weekend car, i might be going deaf though LOL
im sure others could tell you its achievable

TEAM HIGH BOOST SUPERCHARGED RALLYE

My Rallye project thread
Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 11:02
thomo6

Regular

Post #7
RetroPug wrote:
Why not buy repackable motorsport silencers? Then if it is too loud, put more deadening in.

Anyone got any details of a supplier of a suitable repackable silencers?
Posted 29th Aug 2014 at 12:04